07" 320 GB Jerk while normal/manual mode

lwm495

Hi i have a 07year 320.

Bought less then 1 month, have already spend $2k plus solving engine oil leak, now gearbox:whythis:

After i change my muffler, the jerk became more notice-able.
Jerk is at low gear in normal mode or manual mode.
Sometimes while stopping at traffic light will have the slight jerk while auto-downshift of gear. Even at stop, the car sometimes will also jerk/jump abit.

But if i put at DS mode never encounter any jerk.

Wierd thing is while i pump 98petrol the jerk is lesser, but if i pump 95 the car jerks much more times.

I have changed the gearbox oil around 6-7litres but the problem still there.

Any advise? Will programming of gearbox by pml helps?

Re: 07" 320 GB Jerk while normal/manual mode

I have 06 323i, quite low mileage at 58,000km. Gearbox also quite jerky, in particular from gear 2 to 3. I went to Boss, they suggested change auto transmission fluid and filter first to see whether problem goes away. So I did that with them but did not solve the jerkiness problem. They then suggested changing the "valve body" in the auto transmission - guaranteed to solve the problem they said. But it will cost about $4k.

There is another thread in this forum session where others have tried reprogramming of the transmission with PML and appears to work. Cost only between $100-200. So maybe I will try that first. Last resort will be to change the valve body and hope it works.

I am facing the same problem for my E60. I will roll in my car next week to have the "mechatronic" part or more commonly known as "Control Valve" changed. I believe the cost is between 2-3k or so. Anyway, don't bother to go PML if warranty has expired, they will ask you to change the gearbox assembly which they quoted me yesterday for 8k. :O

Do try reset the programming for your gearbox, based on some bros here, it has worked well for them but not for my case.

Meanwhile, hang on and solve it slowly.

James1500;578481 said:
I am facing the same problem for my E60. I will roll in my car next week to have the "mechatronic" part or more commonly known as "Control Valve" changed. I believe the cost is between 2-3k or so. Anyway, don't bother to go PML if warranty has expired, they will ask you to change the gearbox assembly which they quoted me yesterday for 8k. :O

Do try reset the programming for your gearbox, based on some bros here, it has worked well for them but not for my case.

Thanks bro. Do keep us updated on whether changing the control valve works for you. Also, what is the cost as I was quoted about $4k by Boss. $2-3k is definitely better than $4k!

Update:

Finally after 2 really ridiculous week, my car is out. Based on what Khang's Auto said, they have worked on my Gearbox twice, first time was unsuccessful and attempted a 2nd time and was ok. Car was supposed to ready on Monday but the people there scrapped my left corner bumper and have to spend 1 more night there. Cost: $1.8k (approximately, dealer paid for it).

Review:

The hard Jerkiness which I felt the last time is gone. However, occasionally, I still feel a more subtle jerk when the car is rolling to a stop when the gearbox attempts to "downgear". I am tyring to acclimatise to this feel but still don't feel good. Went to another mechanic to do a diagnostic check and indicated NO FAULT for TRANSMISSION.

Next thing for me to do is to flush away the ATF and reload in the new ATF. This will be scheduled next week when I do my servicing.

I have also replaced 2xSuspension Bushes, 2xlower arms and 2xrubbers on the lower horizontal bar to resolve the wobbling of my 19" front wheels. The wobble is now completely gone and the ride is good. I do "feel" the road much more as I am used to 1" and below with profile of 55-60. So now with 35 and 40, the feel seems rougher. Cost $797 plus alignment (Claiming from Dealer)...

Regards,
James

Update:

Finally after 2 really ridiculous week, my car is out. Based on what Khang's Auto said, they have worked on my Gearbox twice, first time was unsuccessful and attempted a 2nd time and was ok. Car was supposed to ready on Monday but the people there scrapped my left corner bumper and have to spend 1 more night there. Cost: $1.8k (approximately, dealer paid for it).

Review:

The hard Jerkiness which I felt the last time is gone. However, occasionally, I still feel a more subtle jerk when the car is rolling to a stop when the gearbox attempts to "downgear". I am tyring to acclimatise to this feel but still don't feel good. Went to another mechanic to do a diagnostic check and indicated NO FAULT for TRANSMISSION.

Next thing for me to do is to flush away the ATF and reload in the new ATF. This will be scheduled next week when I do my servicing.

I have also replaced 2xSuspension Bushes, 2xlower arms and 2xrubbers on the lower horizontal bar to resolve the wobbling of my 19" front wheels. The wobble is now completely gone and the ride is good. I do "feel" the road much more as I am used to 1" and below with profile of 55-60. So now with 35 and 40, the feel seems rougher. Cost $797 plus alignment (Claiming from Dealer)...

Regards,
James

Hey James1500

Good to hear that your problems are being resolved. Are you saying that the cost of replacing your valve body in the auto trans is only $1.8k? I was told it is usually in the region of $4k. And you did it at Khang Auto? Maybe I should check with them also.

How come your dealer paid for the fixes? Your car new or pre-owned? If latter, there is warranty? Did not know that pre-owned cars come with warranty except if buy through Performance Premium.

my tranny also feels the same...but think mine abt to "piang"..haha..diagnostic says tranny no fault too..just bearing with it for the moment.

Bro, Mai Tu Liao... Buy F10

observer7;581410 said:
Hey James1500

Good to hear that your problems are being resolved. Are you saying that the cost of replacing your valve body in the auto trans is only $1.8k? I was told it is usually in the region of $4k. And you did it at Khang Auto? Maybe I should check with them also.

How come your dealer paid for the fixes? Your car new or pre-owned? If latter, there is warranty? Did not know that pre-owned cars come with warranty except if buy through Performance Premium.

I remember he bought his E60 less then a month and the gear box gerk during down shift of gear while stopping.
He went back to his dealer and his dealer really honour their words to settle the problem for him.
Really cheap if replacing valve body only 1.8K wor...
Since you checking, can let us know if it is true???
Thanks in advance ya..

Last edited by a moderator:

James1500;581355 said:
Update:

Review:

Regards,
James

Bro, glad you had solve your "gerking issue".
Which dealer you bought your E60 from? Can PM me please...

If I can add what I learnt from my friend who's driving an e90 as well in Malaysia. What he encountered was the jerk problem as well and he took it in to BMW malaysia (can't remember the service center name). They did a goodwill reprogram and it solved his problem. They also mentioned that since he changed to aftermarket rims - that was the main cause of the problem and it would eventually return. If you noticed - all stock bmw rims have 5 or more small holes between each lug holes. These little holes do have a function in rpm calculations or something. Apparently, this is what the service guys mentioned as the root cause for the eventual jerkiness problem.

Just quoting what I learnt, so peeps, please don't flame me if my statement doesn't make any sense. this is just hearsay.

small holes in the rim have effect on rpm calculation ? wow !

lchan76;581567 said:
If I can add what I learnt from my friend who's driving an e90 as well in Malaysia. What he encountered was the jerk problem as well and he took it in to BMW malaysia (can't remember the service center name). They did a goodwill reprogram and it solved his problem. They also mentioned that since he changed to aftermarket rims - that was the main cause of the problem and it would eventually return. If you noticed - all stock bmw rims have 5 or more small holes between each lug holes. These little holes do have a function in rpm calculations or something. Apparently, this is what the service guys mentioned as the root cause for the eventual jerkiness problem.

Just quoting what I learnt, so peeps, please don't flame me if my statement doesn't make any sense. this is just hearsay.

Not flaming you, but IMHO I think not true leh...
My father-in-law also driving E60 in malaysia with only 17" stock rim on his 530i,
heard he change his control valve twice already with mileage clocking well over 200k km.
So, if he change again during the 300k km mark, maybe can take reference that life span of gear box components = Approx. 100k km...
Maybe those encounter this issue would like to share their mileage when jerking occurs during downshift while slowing down.

James1500;578481 said:

I had appointment with PML this morning with intention of asking for a software upgrade to my auto transmission. They test drove my car and said they could not find anything wrong with my transmission, that the slight jerkiness was quite normal. The SA advised me not to waste my money with a software upgrade. So I took his advice and did not do anything.

I have had Japanese cars before and their gearboxes are smoother than this. Currently also have a Mazda 6 2.5 and its gearbox does not have this kind of jerkiness. Seems like BMW gearboxes are not as smooth as Japanese gearboxes so just have to accept that fact, live with it and enjoy the car for its many other merits!

observer7;585072 said:
I had appointment with PML this morning with intention of asking for a software upgrade to my auto transmission. They test drove my car and said they could not find anything wrong with my transmission, that the slight jerkiness was quite normal. The SA advised me not to waste my money with a software upgrade. So I took his advice and did not do anything.

I have had Japanese cars before and their gearboxes are smoother than this. Currently also have a Mazda 6 2.5 and its gearbox does not have this kind of jerkiness. Seems like BMW gearboxes are not as smooth as Japanese gearboxes so just have to accept that fact, live with it and enjoy the car for its many other merits!

This is so true. My Toyota downshifted much more smoothly when it was slowing down.. cannot feel at all. My bimmer has a slight "bump" when it downshifts..

It's nowhere as bad as the "transmission slam" problem on the E60 though.. apparently that one is so bad it feels like the car got rear-ended.

i dunno but IMHO the ZF tranny in our cars seem to have a "torquier" torque converter feel, i.e. the wheels feel more connected to the engine. some JDM and korean rides you can rev and rev and rev and the wheel doesn't move. so, surely the tighter wheel->engine feel will translate to gear change bumps...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back