320i E90 Engine vibration, rough idle and misfire

Caleb

I had this problem for almost 3 months now, misfire when starting the car, RPM drops very low and fluctuates, vibrates violently like driving an tractor; already sent to 2 different workshops but still not fixed, changed coils, changed spark plugs (3 sets) and VANOS solenoids also. I suspect it is either the Coil (the problem started after changing coils and spark plugs when servicing) or eccentric shaft sensor. Any sponsor workshop here knows how to diagnose and fix this? i don't believe I need to change car, that is just stupid.

Re: 320i E90 Engine vibration, rough idle and misfire

Caleb;1071967 said:
I had this problem for almost 3 months now, misfire when starting the car, RPM drops very low and fluctuates, vibrates violently like driving an tractor; already sent to 2 different workshops but still not fixed, changed coils, changed spark plugs (3 sets) and VANOS solenoids also. I suspect it is either the Coil (the problem started after changing coils and spark plugs when servicing) or eccentric shaft sensor. Any sponsor workshop here knows how to diagnose and fix this? i don't believe I need to change car, that is just stupid.

bro, juz hope to provide help if any at all, mine had similar situation ... vibrations and crazy rpm..

I believed you shld hv done a diagnostic...

so it shld show ur fault codes?

anyway, with reference to mine, maybe suspect its ur wiring harness... or O2 sensor... or catalytic converter or basically electrical problem?

juz guessing guessing...

wish u best of luck on ur repair! Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Check if the ignition coils are properly secured. Poorly secured ignition coils can cause misfires..

Scan for fault codes for a start .... There is a reason why the ride has hundreds of sensors.

Make sure the WS has something that can pickup BMW shadow codes.

And something that can look at the statistics ........ Airflow, pump pressure, spark voltage leaks, lambda readings ........etc

Should be able to narrow down from there.

Caleb;1071967 said:

Does it get worse when you restart the engine immediately after driving, like it can't even idle? Was the car battery power cut off recently?

I had that problem on another make after I pulled the ecu power, when my throttle body was dirty.

Caleb;1071967 said:

I am having the same problem as well however this only happens during cold start and thereafter it's ok. WS told me its cataylic con error which they also nvr tell what exactly is it. I am still trying to get this fix as well.

You may wish to bring your ride to R2D. He's the doctor for our rides :)

320i E90 Engine vibration, rough idle and misfire

Third'ed on Rod.

*but if problem is 'mysterious', get RBB to do a full diagnostics.

my ride with the same problem too... ride is with him now, waiting for his solution...

i recently resolved my low frequency shaking at D/P/N with rpm needle fluctuating +/-50rpm at P and N, but stable at D
the shaking is very low frequency type of shake, but very strong, can feel on the seat and even the floor
initially i thought is ignition coil damaged, but the technician at the workshop very expert, say this type of shake is not similar to misfire type of vibration or engine mount type of vibration
he says there is many reasons why there is high frequency vibration and/or low frequency shaking at D/P/N
some are even combination effect

he initially suspected fuel pump leak but checked and no leak

he then trial-and-error replace the intake manifold pressure control valve sensor, and reset the ECU, and viola! the shaking stopped!
amazing.. i guess he might have come across similar symptoms before that's why he could pin point the possible cause
the sensor cost only $120.. lucky didnt replace the ignition coils and spark plugs, which would have cost over $400

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebai799com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back