523i suspension/shock absorbers

QxQ

Dear Friends,

recently bought a 523i and changed the rims to the 19" m5s. now everytime i go over a bump at a relatively fast speed the undercarriage scraps the road. is there a solution for this ? bmw recommended i change the shocks to the m5s but it cost between 5 - 7 k.... too expensive an option. pls advise.

ps... sorry to have post this wrong in the intro and greetings but i am new to this forum !

Re: 523i suspension/shock absorbers

How fast were you going over those humps??? Many of us running on 19" have no problems with that..... is your car new or 2nd hand? How old is it??? And don't believe the shocks cost $5k-$7k......

Let us know so we can advise you accordingly.......

Dear New7,

car is 2 -3 months old. i go over speed humps around 20 - 30 km/h... for bumps on the road.. about 70 km/h. the price for the m5 shocks quoted by performance motors

Well, u can get aftermarket coilovers for about half that price and u do get the flexibility to set the height & damping hardness to ur liking!

Cheers,
Sam

QxQ;139572 said:
Dear New7,

car is 2 -3 months old. i go over speed humps around 20 - 30 km/h... for bumps on the road.. about 70 km/h. the price for the m5 shocks quoted by performance motors

i have the same. 523 with m5 19" rims on stock suspension. never had a problem. I don't think i go over speed hump at 20-30kmh. i think more like 10-20 kmh for me. normal road, despite bumpy construction road like paya lebar area, i don;t have much problem. can't recall what speed i was going thru those bends. 50-80kmh?

May I suggest that you bring your car to a trusty third party workshop like BVO and get them to examine your coilovers. They might be faulty and PML is just trying to get out of replacing them for you....

By putting on sports suspension (regardless of brand), you effectively lower the car, so this, in my opinion, would not solve the problem.......

Call Bernard to make an appointment.... The guys there are good.....

TheNew7;139591 said:
May I suggest that you bring your car to a trusty third party workshop like BVO and get them to examine your coilovers. They might be faulty and PML is just trying to get out of replacing them for you....

By putting on sports suspension (regardless of brand), you effectively lower the car, so this, in my opinion, would not solve the problem.......

Call Bernard to make an appointment.... The guys there are good.....

thats a great idea. you should take your car for a third party opinion.

Dear All,

thanks for your valuable advise. i will do just that... take it to BVO and see what they say. understand from another friend of mine the recent 5 series got recall on some suspension problem and performance motors have been calling owners to get their suspension changed. wonder if mine affected or not.

QxQ;139572 said:
Dear New7,

I think what the guys mentioned here is correct. Bring it back to PML to take a look. there is no way the stock suspension can scrap the bottom. I ever driven the E46 318i and it went through the HDB hump at 60kph without scrapping...

And also, make sure that it's actually scrapping the bottom or is it that u have got a rim with wrong offset and rubbing the fender ??

Lastly, I dunno what did PML told u but the E60 M5 suspension cannot fit the normal E60. The M5 is on V10 wheras the normal 5 only got 6 cyclinder. The weight is totally different and the spring load and shock rating is totally different. It will fit but it will end up with a height like X5 !!!

:)

piggyboyz;139687 said:
It will fit but it will end up with a height like X5 !!!

:)

Which may not be a bad thing..... a hybrid E60...... reminds me of MTV's PIMP MA RIDE.......

piggyboyz;139687 said:
I ever driven the E46 318i and it went through the HDB hump at 60kph without scrapping...:)

wah... you go over humps at 60kph ah... champion man... :)

martmode8850;139745 said:
wah... you go over humps at 60kph ah... champion man... :)

Read As "Loaner Car" hahaha !!!!!!

But seriously, the stock suspension with the 16" rims is amazing. If u were expecting that the whole car fly up, then u r wrong, the car went through the hump without any drama, the car didn't even lift a little...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xnkubtdpatop

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back