a 911 Turbo-priced Gullwing Mercedes

centurion

from e90post... indeed! An R8-killer from Merc.

clutchless wet-plate clutch auto trans, relatively light, aluminium spaceframe construction, strict 2 seater, 550HP near the maximum allowed by the 6.1 litre lump probably At 7K rpm.

Finally something to salivate over ... for Merc fans.

Mercedes’ new Gullwing: the inside story - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

1MercedesSLCGullwingspyshot.jpg

2MercedesSLCGullwingspyshot.jpg

CAR Online has obtained the best info yet on Mercedes’ new AMG ‘Gullwing’ supercar. Depicted in our artist’s impression, the super coupe is codenamed C197 and will make its debut at the 2010 Geneva motor show; a roadster tagged R197 follows a year later.

The new two-seater will be badged an AMG, not as a Mercedes (our artist’s impression still displays the Merc star). It’s thus the first standalone product of the go-faster department – and it probably won’t be the last.

The coupe and roadster will cost around the same as a well-equipped Porsche 911 Turbo – the target is €150,000 (£105,000) – and in size they are closer to the SLR than the SL.

CAR Online has seen documents spelling out the pair’s dimensions:

• Length 4650mm
• Width 1950mm
• Height 1250mm
• Wheelbase 2700mm
• Luggage capacity 200 litres (coupe), 175 litres (roadster)

That’s quite a big car, then, but it will, intriguingly, be even lighter than the SLR. The target weight for the engineers is 1650kg – 45 kilos less than an SLR and 235kg less than an SL55.

How do they do it? By introducing a brand-new advanced aluminium spaceframe technology which is allegedly even more rigid than that carbon fibre tub designed in Woking.

Perhaps even more remarkable than the Gullwing’s breakthrough body architecture is the transaxle chassis, which achieves a 48:52 percent front-to-rear weight distribution. Featuring a double-wishbone suspension designed from scratch, the first proper sports car from Stuttgart for decades has a fixed spring/damper calibration and a fixed steering ratio.

There are no gimmicks here. Perhaps the C63 did actually mark a turning point for AMG…

The design is a mix of retro and modern: there are large, roof-hinged gullwing doors, almost upright bi-xenon headlamps, a classic SL grille, a tapered plan view, LED tail lamps, a motorised rear spoiler and a pair of downforce-producing front and rear aprons. The wheels are 19-inch in the front and 20-inch in the back.

It’s not the most aerodynamic of shapes, apparently, our engineering sources claiming a drag coefficient of 0.35.

The electrical architecture is shared with the next E-class; six airbags will be standard in all markets.

This car will be – for Mercedes – a relatively niche player, with sales of just 6000 of each bodystyle and a production run scheduled to stop in 2013, the year after the next-generation SL arrives.

As the pinnacle of AMG’s expertise, the C/R197 is going to be warp-speed fast. True to the AMG moniker, the engine is of course a version of the high-revving 6.3-litre V8 mated to the new Sportshift box.

The final numbers have yet to be confirmed, but conservative estimates suggest 550bhp and 445lb ft of twist action. Okay, so on paper the Gullwing is less potent than the Black Series SL, but that light weight means it should out-accelerate it on the road.

Early data indicates 3.8sec for the sprint from 0-62mph, a top speed of 185mph and an average consumption of 14litres/100km (20.1mpg). The 911 Turbo may be a little more economical and it may have better traction thanks to 4WD. But it won’t be faster than the AMG hotshot.

AMG is ushering in its new composite brake system, which is said to be lighter, stronger and notably less fade-prone than a conventional set-up.

How much stronger? According to an engineer, the stopping distance from 100kph/62mph to zero is a time-warp 34 metres. We hope the seatbelts are usefully strong.

Re: a 911 Turbo-priced Gullwing Mercedes

Now that is a Merc I would ditch my car for. Its such a modern piece of art. I just hope this is the basis for all new mercs to come!

Why not just replace the SL with this, so much nicer.

I think for the very first time i am in total love with a merc.

Halp me.......some..bo..d..y

Somehow the concoction of the Reventon front and somewhat R8 sides looks delicious !!!

Looks like Mercedes is getting back on track, after ditching Chrysler! LOL

Damn! Its nice! Looks kinda CG though...

think F1 safety car can use this ! damn chio for a mercheelee...

Merc design is at its ABSOLUTE BEST!
slurp..............

A very important thing happened to Mercedes when designing the current CL-Class - the decision of peter pfeiffer to ditch the organic designs which plagued merc since the release of the previous S-Class: it was designed to take away ostentatiousness which was the main criticism of the 2 generations ago S-Class (Garoupa) but it dated FAST - just look at any Garoupa S-Class today and the W203 C-Class ... wa liao.

The current S, CL and C-Class design motif IMHO heralds back to the 500SEC design days, a Bruno Sacco masterpiece ... At the end of the day, looking back at Peter Pfeiffer's career, I'd say that Bruno Sacco is the best designer Mercedes Benz ever had, and it is MB which leads the world in design even now, with a brief interlude from Chris Bangle, regular service resumes.

500sec-db-g.jpg

Louis, not a designer like you, but here's my contribution to the discussion:

Mercedes Benz passenger car detailing which mercedes brought to the passenger car mainstream design:

1) Integrated signal lights on wing mirrors (1997 E-Class)
2) `hot rod style' chrome exhaust emitting from just behind front mounted engine (500 SSK)
3) Gullwing doors (300SL Gullwing Coupe)
4) Large radiator grille as a trademark of a mid priced car (180 onwards)
5) Vent behind the wheels, front of passenger doors (M3 style vents) (300SL Gullwing Coupe)
6) Wedge Shaped angular design (Bruno Sacco, Mercedes E-Class Masterpiece)
7) Mercedes benz SMART and A-Class - just look at all the super small cars now ...

These features were not `invented' by Mercedes but it was Mercedes which brought them into passenger car design and made them desirable.

Just on a personal note, I think Peter Pfeiffer destroyed MB car design. Not being an engineer, just an mediocre clay model artist, I think his designs were bumbling and unoriginal. Bruno Sacco was at the first place and engineer first, and he architected the design though not detailing, and guided the artists.

IMO, Merc is arguably one of the leaders in auto design n engineering.

so Grudge Match : This puppy or 997 Turbo?

TripleM;332759 said:
IMO, Merc is arguably one of the leaders in auto design n engineering.

so Grudge Match : This puppy or 997 Turbo?
IMO in a straightline the Turbo will JUST edge this guy out. The 6.1 is big but it is still gutless compared to the twin turbo 997. On a track, chances are this Merc will win. But this is just guessing shit, let's wait for the wonderful grudge match.

BUT given the cash I will buy the Merc puppy.

centurion;332761 said:
IMO in a straightline the Turbo will JUST edge this guy out. The 6.1 is big but it is still gutless compared to the twin turbo 997. On a track, chances are this Merc will win. But this is just guessing shit, let's wait for the wonderful grudge match.

BUT given the cash I will buy the Merc puppy.

Problem is it wont come with a six speed manual and you cant act as a torque converter anymore. :nehnehhh:

elmariachi said:
Problem is it wont come with a six speed manual and you cant act as a torque converter anymore. :nehnehhh:
Yeah, no involvement, Michael.........

:nehnehhh: :nehnehhh: :nehnehhh:

elmariachi;332766 said:
for a luxocoupe weighing above 1.6 tons with a big torquey engine, a good autobox is OK. Having a manual for this kinda car sorta is not as rewarding as having a manual in a car which needs a lot of shifting work to be done ...

eg. M3 with a high rev engine and relatively lousy torque, with a manual box it's great.

kenntona;332772 said:
Yeah, no involvement, Michael.........

:nehnehhh: :nehnehhh: :nehnehhh:
true, kenn... this car is not going to be a involving car, but it can be a car to travel very fast in relative comfort, to bring chicks in, to go to house parties ....

The little cayman stays whether I can or cannot, do or do not buy this car. :)

centurion said:
......it can be a car to travel very fast in relative comfort, to bring chicks in, to go to house parties ....
Sounds like Omar's 335.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88directory
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back