• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Advice needed for changing rims...

Schvoski

Hi Guys, have gotten my new ride already! Just bought a 523 from PML, just waiting to get it by end of the month. Would like to thank all the people who have gave me advice during these period, appreciated very much!! :) :)

Right now i'm thinking of changing the Rims to -
"M alloy wheels / M cross spoke composite wheels 101".
Checked with the agent he said after his own staff discount & trade in for the new car rims still cost $6022.

(1) Would like to ask is this reasonable?

(2) Should i change the RIMS now or should i wait for a year later (as adv by the agent)?

(3) Is there other place where i can get the RIMs at a lower price?

(4) Any other thing that i should take note of?

Thanks to all in advance!! :)

Re: Advice needed for changing rims...

just a suggestion - with rims the rule is lighter=better, and most of the BMW rims are really not super light. Of course, this is a technical consideration and in many cases aesthetic considerations rule over technical ones.

There are a wealth of aftermarket rims available from 3rd parties, like Neez, Volk Racing, etc. These can be REALLY light and strong too.

looks nice. go for it!

go take a look at the shops recommended in the links and resource page.

but a word of advice - the more spokes, the harder to keep clean, especially those that have chrome finish. and the stock brake pads do produce a lot of brake dust.

BryanK;334139 said:

Nice wheels!! Any idea how much it cost?

jinooi;334136 said:
looks nice. go for it!

go take a look at the shops recommended in the links and resource page.

but a word of advice - the more spokes, the harder to keep clean, especially those that have chrome finish. and the stock brake pads do produce a lot of brake dust.

Thanks for the advice, shall bear that in mind.

Glad to see that you like that rim as well, proved i've got taste~ hahaha, just kidding.

Mockngbrd;334151 said:
those look kinda like SSWs i've seen somewher

Eh.. What does SSWs mean huh bro?

SSW is a brand. Makes the type of rims you have in the picture.

The ACS type VI is really nice, but it also comes at a price. Haven't seen any on the road yet. Autovox is the local rep for ACS, but heard their first batch of goods will arrive only at the end of the month (cos i'm looking for something too, haha).

btw, are you looking for performance (lightweight) or aesthetics?

Happy Hunting!

jinooi;334214 said:
SSW is a brand. Makes the type of rims you have in the picture.

The ACS type VI is really nice, but it also comes at a price. Haven't seen any on the road yet. Autovox is the local rep for ACS, but heard their first batch of goods will arrive only at the end of the month (cos i'm looking for something too, haha).

btw, are you looking for performance (lightweight) or aesthetics?

Happy Hunting!

Ya, those wheels sure doesn't look cheap to me.. Well, think i'm abit more on the aesthetics side, of course if its lightweight that'll be even better! You know lah, "ai qing ai pi go ai tua lep ni".. lol~ What abt you then? And what kind of wheels are you looking at?

Btw, can you help to advice on these things?

(1) Any good shop to recommend for buying & changing the rims i want?
If have pls let me have the ctc num k?

(2) And if i should change the wheels at their shop so i presume i'll drive down (straight after i got my car from PML) to their side but will that affect the trade in price of my new original wheels?

(3) Usually what would be the trade in value for those new wheels?

Thanks in advance~ :):)

i am not scouting around on wheels - already have AC rims, but not one the new models.

i've been to the following:-

Leong Seng Thiam Kee
No.53, Ubi Ave 1, Paya Ubi Industrial Park
Tel: 67444280

Hurry (*)
511 Bt Timah Road
Tel: 64663776

quite good service, and reasonable prices. especially leong seng. had my wheels properly balanced and aligned after changing the tyres. they did something to the steering too. drives differently now.

alternatively, you could also go to Rays. don't have the contact details, but some of the bros who have been there have been raving about the rims there.

if u drive down immediately after collecting your car, then your rims will be in mint condition. guess it will have a higher trade-in value. have to bargain on the prices though. not sure whether you'd be able to get a better price if you post your wheels in the forum for sale though - there might just be someone looking to change rims to your stock ones.

whilst you're at it, might as well think of the size you want too.

Mockngbrd;334362 said:
if ur on a budget, u can try those SSWs at stamford

jinooi;334361 said:
i am not scouting around on wheels - already have AC rims, but not one the new models.

i've been to the following:-

Leong Seng Thiam Kee
No.53, Ubi Ave 1, Paya Ubi Industrial Park
Tel: 67444280

Hurry (*)
511 Bt Timah Road
Tel: 64663776

quite good service, and reasonable prices. especially leong seng. had my wheels properly balanced and aligned after changing the tyres. they did something to the steering too. drives differently now.

alternatively, you could also go to Rays. don't have the contact details, but some of the bros who have been there have been raving about the rims there.

if u drive down immediately after collecting your car, then your rims will be in mint condition. guess it will have a higher trade-in value. have to bargain on the prices though. not sure whether you'd be able to get a better price if you post your wheels in the forum for sale though - there might just be someone looking to change rims to your stock ones.

whilst you're at it, might as well think of the size you want too.

Cool~ Thks Bros! :) Will call them tmrw for more details! :)

But can i check with both of you are they selling BMW's rims or some other rims?

Lets say if i should change to another brand rims now will it affect my warranty with BMW ilke void?
(Actually i'm also interested in having the integrated ipod interface + bluetooth kit by Ferd where warranty might be compromised, will be checking with my agent trmw to confirm).

What does size of the wheels actually matters to a person or a car? Looks? Performances?

Sorry pls bear with me as i'm really an idiot in this field.. :(

Schvoski;334554 said:
Lets say if i should change to another brand rims now will it affect my warranty with BMW ilke void?
(Actually i'm also interested in having the integrated ipod interface + bluetooth kit by Ferd where warranty might be compromised, will be checking with my agent trmw to confirm).

What does size of the wheels actually matters to a person or a car? Looks? Performances?

Changing to another brand of rims does not in itself affect warranty. However, customary practice is - if your wheel fitment is badly done and it causes your car to have issues, eg. unbalanced fitment causing deformation of wheel hub, then it will void your warranty pertaining to your wheel hub. This is an adaptation of the US Mag-Moss act. Don't worry, wheel fitment is a simple almost idiot proof concept - unfortunately many times the use of spacers complicate matters to make it no longer idiot proof.

Wheels have 3 functions - aesthetics, brake fitment, and performance. As for performance, the lighter the rim the less the unsprung weight, causing better suspension performance and acceleration (if the weight not shifted to the edges of the wheels).

Brake fitment is a more complicated process. Bigger wheels allow fitting bigger rotors, but the calipers are always the issue, so when you want to buy wheels for brake fitment MAKE SURE they fit first, or tell the wheel vendor to guarantee brake fitment success on the new wheels you're buying.

Schvoski;334554 said:
Cool~ Thks Bros! :) Will call them tmrw for more details! :)

But can i check with both of you are they selling BMW's rims or some other rims?

the shops hardly ever sell bmw stock rims, unless there are people trading in and the condition is fit for resale as 'used'.

not sure whether it will affect your warranty with PML, but i have read in UK BMW magazines that if you change from run-flats to non run-flats, and if something goes wrong with your suspension, the dealer will not be responsible. better to check with your SE.

some people feel that the stock rims on an e60 are too small. there's too much space between the wheels and the wheel well - not aggressive enough as they think it looks like an SUV. what they usually do is get a bigger set of wheels (19- 20"), and lower the suspension.

this will also improve the handling, as there is less tire flex (shorter sidewall), and the suspension is stiffer (lower usually means stiffer). Going round bends, you will not feel the car roll as much.

what this also means is that there will be more noise from the increased contact of the tire with the road (bigger rims = fatter tires), decreased comfort (stiffer suspension) and increase wear of the tires (lowered suspension = more negative camber).

and one more thing, bigger tires are usually more expensive.

that's y i asked :) better performance? or just for looks? but both will cost you more money.

y not drop by this weekend at the meet-up and have a chat with all the mod gurus? most of them have more experience than me and they will be able to advise you better. then you will have more info to weigh the pros and cons.

jinooi;334635 said:
the shops hardly ever sell bmw stock rims, unless there are people trading in and the condition is fit for resale as 'used'.

not sure whether it will affect your warranty with PML, but i have read in UK BMW magazines that if you change from run-flats to non run-flats, and if something goes wrong with your suspension, the dealer will not be responsible. better to check with your SE.

some people feel that the stock rims on an e60 are too small. there's too much space between the wheels and the wheel well - not aggressive enough as they think it looks like an SUV. what they usually do is get a bigger set of wheels (19- 20"), and lower the suspension.

this will also improve the handling, as there is less tire flex (shorter sidewall), and the suspension is stiffer (lower usually means stiffer). Going round bends, you will not feel the car roll as much.

what this also means is that there will be more noise from the increased contact of the tire with the road (bigger rims = fatter tires), decreased comfort (stiffer suspension) and increase wear of the tires (lowered suspension = more negative camber).

and one more thing, bigger tires are usually more expensive.

that's y i asked :) better performance? or just for looks? but both will cost you more money.

y not drop by this weekend at the meet-up and have a chat with all the mod gurus? most of them have more experience than me and they will be able to advise you better. then you will have more info to weigh the pros and cons.

I see.. Really thks for the advice bro, learnt alot from you and will bear all these info in mind. :)

Most likely will be getting from PML as i really like those rims very much, just waiting for the SE to get me more discount!.

Hahaha, once everything's done up (should be by next thurs) then i'll go meet you guys at the next meeting. Wait for me~

I got my M rims from kbs.. u might want to check with them...=)..else pm me..

Thanks for informing Bryan. :) Hmm.. Think i must make a trip down myself to all these shops to look myself if i can find something similar to what i want..
Btw, what's the difference between replicas and originals? I guess most likely is the pricing but how much difference? & in terms of performances, material they used?
Lets say if your budget is not a concern which will you choose to buy & why?

various schools of thought... there's a thread somewhere discussing this... not only rims, also includes bodykits, etc. etc.

have my own opinion, but that's another story for another day...

if money is not a prob, of course go for the original lah! peace of mind, higher resale value, comes with warranty should anything go wrong, bragging rights, the list goes on...

Schvoski said:
Btw, what's the difference between replicas and originals? I guess most likely is the pricing but how much difference? & in terms of performances, material they used? Lets say if your budget is not a concern which will you choose to buy & why?
Avoid the replicas. IMO, the most important things in your car at high speed are - brakes, rims, tyres......... dun bet your live on replicas.

the king has spoken!

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back