Advice on HU change and offer

spidey3

Hi all

Looking at upgrading my stereos from stock.

I wonder if I shld change my stock HU to say an Alpine for better sound source, phone bluetooth function and iPod song displays. The compromise will be letting up the interior OEM look..

Was at Dimension and recommended Morel Hybrid Ovation 4" (din want any major surgery done) and Hustler Audio amps. With Monster cables (think was 202) included, tag comes up to 2k with no subs. Was advised to keep the underseat stock since SQ boost wouldnt be substantial unless mounted in boot, for which the central armrest will need to be lowered to enjoy them fully..

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Advice on HU change and offer

1. go to another installer. The central armrest story is bollocks.

2. read some of the older threads.

oneHeadlight

What's your opinion on Morel and Hertz speakers then. nderstand Soundwerkz has some Hertz package promo including subs but not sure if the speakers are in the same range as Morel's hybrid ovation. Quoted 800 bucks for just them speakers.

i will not pay that amount for a 4 inch speakers. For 4 inch speakers, there's a limit how much it will perform, and no way it will sound better than normal 6.5 inch component. btw, i'm using DLS 4" component speakers.

spidey3;403972 said:
oneHeadlight

What's your opinion on Morel and Hertz speakers then. nderstand Soundwerkz has some Hertz package promo including subs but not sure if the speakers are in the same range as Morel's hybrid ovation. Quoted 800 bucks for just them speakers.

I don't fancy Hertz to be honest, never been impressed. BUt no offence to Hertz owners, its just that i've never heard one setup with it that truly stands out.

I do rate Morel. They are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, along with Focal, Scanspeak, and are also the OEM for many brands. I used to own a pair myself, and the tweeters are pretty good.

i cant comment much on the price as i think prices have gone crazy the past 2 years. Till today, i still get shocks hearing Audison LRXs going for above 1.3k.

ebay;404115 said:
i will not pay that amount for a 4 inch speakers. For 4 inch speakers, there's a limit how much it will perform, and no way it will sound better than normal 6.5 inch component. btw, i'm using DLS 4" component speakers.

abit unfair there i think.
Although u did mention as a regret, then go for 3 way dude. Add the 6.5" midbass.

ebay;404115 said:

Yes 4" sounding better than 6.5 speakers sounds (no pun intended) counter-imtuitive, but believe there're different grades. At least fr wat my newbie ears are telling me, the Morels are pretty impressive- clean yet relaxed not hard or sharp. Anyway, given the constraint I posed (no cutting) to installer, wat's proposed prob make sense. To be fair to him, pulling down the centre backrest seat idea is also the result of the same constraint. I'm actually having 2nd tots now and thinking it's prob fine to let him cut a centre back dashboard for the proper sub effect.

its been mentioned in this forum many times before that having no midbass will compromise on the midbass. a 4 incher is a mid, and there is no way it can produce freq effectively in the midbass range. On the other hand, if you are only running 2 way, get the midbass instead of the mid because a 6incher can produce what a 4 incher can, albeit less effectively.

it involves cutting the door panel though, but it is not a structural damage so to speak.

oneHeadlight;404213 said:
its been mentioned in this forum many times before that having no midbass will compromise on the midbass. a 4 incher is a mid, and there is no way it can produce freq effectively in the midbass range. On the other hand, if you are only running 2 way, get the midbass instead of the mid because a 6incher can produce what a 4 incher can, albeit less effectively.

it involves cutting the door panel though, but it is not a structural damage so to speak.

Thanks for advice. Wat's a decent setup on a 2k budget to u like?

Hi Spidey, just to share abit of my personal experience on the sound system upgrade.
I do agree that 4'' midrange come in different grades. But irregardless what grade of midrange u are using, the characteristics and punch will be different from what a 6.5 can give you. Before settling on my current set of Seas, scanspeak and Hertz are two other options. Personally, feel Morels are only good on paper specs, actual performance might differ. To me, they sound lack of details on the higher frequencies and midrange sounded muffled. I chose Seas over the morel for their better balance in these two areas and pricing. Scanspeak very good also but midbass too thick for my panels :(

Hertz also got a very good series of speaker, Hertz Mille. A very balanced sounding speakers but too bad, pocket no deep enough for that..hehee
I feel whichever model u go for, get a midrange instead of a dome tweeter mid. Midrange got a wider bandwith and gives a better mid punch.

Cheers

Hi Spidey, just to add on further to my reply, if you are looking at upgrade without any cuts, simply consider to change away the stock front speaker and adding of a amp to power up these speakers. I am sure you will heard the difference with aftermarket speakers as our e90 stock don't come with tweeters. U mentioned one of the installer recommend you to add a subwoofer at boot to compensate for the frequencies loss between a 4" midrange & 6.5 midbass, which i feel he is trying to bullshit you. By doing that, on certain range of music you are playing, u will heard it coming from the boot! Especially vocals n kickdrum punches around 50hz-200hz..

Skip this installer..

i suppose if the installer is worth his salt....he probably meant the sub-bass freq..

else, really skip this installer.

Oskool;406625 said:
Hi Spidey, just to add on further to my reply, if you are looking at upgrade without any cuts, simply consider to change away the stock front speaker and adding of a amp to power up these speakers. I am sure you will heard the difference with aftermarket speakers as our e90 stock don't come with tweeters. U mentioned one of the installer recommend you to add a subwoofer at boot to compensate for the frequencies loss between a 4" midrange & 6.5 midbass, which i feel he is trying to bullshit you. By doing that, on certain range of music you are playing, u will heard it coming from the boot! Especially vocals n kickdrum punches around 50hz-200hz..

Skip this installer..

Hi Oskool

Thanks for sharing! Agree abt the 6.5".

I got the following basic setup installed before your post:

4" Morel Hybrid Ovation 2 speakers
Hustler Audio AR75.2 amp
10" Morel Elate SW
DBDrive SPA 90.2 amp
Monster 202 cables

Not fantastic but as it's been said, any upgrade sounds better than stock, and it's been pretty ok for most type of music. But for certain ipod rock songs, the low bass sound loose. Was told it's the sound source. Gonna try the same song from the CD to verify.

Am also quite curious on the sound diff from my 4" and another 6.5" now..I'm getting the impression from wat's been posted that the underseat 8" does sh*t for the midbass so even with trhe bass turned up at the HU it doesnt help?

Btw, does your stock HU bass/treble levels adjust on their own for different music types? Mine seem to be doing so. Eg. Bass level could be 2 for one but 2 or 3 for some others. Either there's an active tuning feature (tot found only in top-end HUs) i'm unaware of, or my mind's playing tricks on me..

Hi Spidey, It will be unfair to compare my system with what you currently have, as mine got a sound processor etc. I am still using the same stock headunit like yours but it has been looped to the processor for further sound enchance. I am running on active setup but it really depends on what you are looking for, staging, imaging..Passive setups can be equally good. All depends on how deep is your pocket :) And to benefit most fm active setup, it good to have some tunning knowledge, otherwise invest in a knowledgeable tuner. If it is just a 4'' 2way component front and a subwoofer at the boot, I personally feel that it will never be a right setup for me, especially without features like time-alignment, the time difference in sound reaching to me will be a problem. Likely you will be hearing subwoofer or drum playing at the rear or boot area. Probably by having the sub installed in front, might have some improvement over here, but it still not ideal to subsitute the playing range of a 6.5" driver.

Bro Oneheadlight, I never find that Morel's Elate Sub is capable of producing a decent sub-bass..I heard their Ultimo is a good sub but it a power drainer too. Especially for freeair installation are too much of a hassle, proper soundproofing, cutting of rear dashboard and such..too much issues to worry

Oskool.... the only component i think i like about Morel is their tweets.... for those in the know, their midbasses are often coloured, and rarely i hear anyone give good reviews about their subs.

Subs are like a totally different animal.....i am sticking to my IDMAx for a long long time...
:)

Oskool

Alritie..tot of just meeting up just for kopi or something cos u sound tat u kno tis stuff and willing to share:)

In meantime, i'm just enjoying e music in my ride. Cheers!:cloud9:

spidey3;408634 said:
Oskool

Alritie..tot of just meeting up just for kopi or something cos u sound tat u kno tis stuff and willing to share:)

In meantime, i'm just enjoying e music in my ride. Cheers!:cloud9:

Cool, PM me in advance will do. Recently was so tight up with work till no time go shop for CNY clothes ya..

CHeers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbetscommx

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back