Advise for Keeping Marine fishes

krakenster

Hi, I am thinking of keeping marine fishes, any advise from the peeps here?
Can anyone share the experiences on marine fishes?
I have a fresh water setup now, what are the pro and cons of switching over to marine fishes?
I am willing to invest in a new setup for the marine fishes.

Re: Advise for Keeping Marine fishes

What kind of setup are you currently on? planted tank or bare tanks with aros/rays??
for marine, the main appeal is the availability of bright colourful fishes, and corals, that you do not find in freshwater. However, the requirement to maintain the water condition at pristine condition will require constant effort and vigilance. depending on how you want to set up, you may need tank glass of extra thickness, high flowrate pumps, skimmers, wave makers, lights, etc...as well as a whole rang of chemical kits to test water condition.

Nice to look at but it requires tonnes of effort to maintain, much more than fresh water tanks.

Initial setup is important. If u get it wrong, there will be a lot of headache later. Do u want just marine fish or are u looking to add live corals as well. The latter will require more efforts and equipment like chiller and special lighting. However, once u setup properly, a good marine system is pretty much self running. Do a lot of reading up before u embark to save your troubles later.

KOI better

ST8800 say one

S2k;910808 said:
KOI better

ST8800 say one

KOI need pond, big space. unless you are staying in landed with sufficient space.............don't think KOI will look nice in a tank. :cool:

bryan_t;910815 said:
KOI need pond, big space. unless you are staying in landed with sufficient space.............don't think KOI will look nice in a tank. :cool:

i stay in show box apartment thats why i say ST8800 say one :p but then yeh you're right Koi is damn nice with a proper size pond

Keep humpbrokebackwhale in olympic sized roof top swimming pool is the best. BoTay say one.

Hi Krakenster,

Would advise you to go to www.sgreefclub.com to get answers to most of your questions.

If you are thinking of asking a professional to do the setup for you, let me know. I can recommend you someone I use.

Regards

I am ditching my fresh water setup for a brand new 5ft tank to be done by professional (thinking of Altantis).
Now not gonna keep corals cos of the heat the chiller emits into the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

previously kept a marine tank. not too challenging if u don't intend to keep corals.
i prefer marine fish over freshwater cos they are more colorful, species are more varied, and the whole setup can be a beautiful addition your home decor.

main issues:
1. lots of time spent for water change, salt mixing, tank cleaning. get backache easily
2. frequent sessions to farms like LCK, pasir ris to hunt for the nicer lifestock
3. expensive utility bill - around $400/mth for my 5ft fish/coral tank
4. can't enjoy a holiday peacefully, without having to worry about my lifestock, tank leak or powertrip (the most disastrous)
5. high setup cost - chiller, tanks and stronger built cabinets, skimmer, marine salt, lightings (easily >$10k)

its a big commitment for a hobby. i suggest u start with a small 2ft tank to try out 1st.
of course, another way is to get professionals to do it for you. they come down on a regular basis to do the maintenance.

st8800;910800 said:
Initial setup is important. If u get it wrong, there will be a lot of headache later. Do u want just marine fish or are u looking to add live corals as well. The latter will require more efforts and equipment like chiller and special lighting. However, once u setup properly, a good marine system is pretty much self running. Do a lot of reading up before u embark to save your troubles later.

So with professional setup, and the new tank should be easy and less efforts ya? I dun want to be 'married' to the tank. One wife is already enough

Anyone got advice for koi fish? Just done up a small pond w pump in the garden and got room for a few of them.

krakenster;910854 said:
I dun stay in GCB, unlike u

:lol2::lol2:

Acherly, bro, I entertained the same idea of setting up a marine fish tank for the frontyard PES, as I thought having a water feature would look good at the 1st floor entrance. This was before the renovations were completed, so all the wiring etc could be internalized.

I called up Atlantis from IMM and spoke to the owner there (can't remember his name, but he was very helpful) - and after he realized that my North-East facing meant a LOT of morning sun, he advised me to ditch the idea, because my monthly water chiller bill would end up more expensive than my car petrol bill!

Having the tank indoor meant a lot of excess noise and heat in the living room, which may also mean mould and condensation indoors. The other option was to do a tank without the corals and reefs, and only have marine fish, but it'll look quite ordinary - so, after careful consideration, I had to give up on that idea and settled on having potted plants instead hehe.

Good luck with yours bro!

krakenster;910853 said:
So with professional setup, and the new tank should be easy and less efforts ya? I dun want to be 'married' to the tank. One wife is already enough

Contrary to popular believe, bigger aquariums are always easier to maintain. Get a pro to do the setup with a good filtration system (very important). Make sure the pro has good feedback from forums. Won't be cheap. My 6 feet tank with live rocks and corals costed more than 10k on initial setup. I gave up the hobby 13 yrs back when the sump tank broke and all my fishes n corals died.

I would even recommend going 8-10 feet if u an afford money and space. Such a setup complete with live rocks, corals, tempered glass aquarium, filtration, CO2 tank, calcium reactor, metal halide lamps, protein skimmer, wave maker and small fishes would probably go in excess of 20k.

Once u got a good ecosystem going, maintenance is relatively trouble free. Just add water and marine salt periodically. Nothing beats going back home after a hard day's work and admire the serenity of your well maintained marine tank.

don't try 2ft....the parameters will go haywire, especially the nitrate levels.
its actually easier to work with a bigger tank

sszone;910967 said:
don't try 2ft....the parameters will go haywire, especially the nitrate levels.
its actually easier to work with a bigger tank

This and bro ST8800's advice is best. It's like, if you are going to run lion, dun run with just one XMM. Wanna do it, go the whole hog. Bao the whole fish tank display, and run until your legs wobble, or your dick falls off.

Get caught by wife for one XMM and get caught by wife for ALL the XMMs in Sar Lau, same punishment - still have to kneel on durian shells. Might as well kneel for more ¢0£k-stand fun right?

.............not say I say one, i'm just quoting all the sexperienced bros here... :lol2::lol2:

wobbles;910898 said:
:lol2::lol2:

Acherly, bro, I entertained the same idea of setting up a marine fish tank for the frontyard PES, as I thought having a water feature would look good at the 1st floor entrance. This was before the renovations were completed, so all the wiring etc could be internalized.

I called up Atlantis from IMM and spoke to the owner there (can't remember his name, but he was very helpful) - and after he realized that my North-East facing meant a LOT of morning sun, he advised me to ditch the idea, because my monthly water chiller bill would end up more expensive than my car petrol bill!

Having the tank indoor meant a lot of excess noise and heat in the living room, which may also mean mould and condensation indoors. The other option was to do a tank without the corals and reefs, and only have marine fish, but it'll look quite ordinary - so, after careful consideration, I had to give up on that idea and settled on having potted plants instead hehe.

Good luck with yours bro!

Wah bro, that Atlantis boss a bit tupid... he didn't know electric bill is chicken feet to the durian shell kneeler!

keeping marine fish is quite easy, however if you going for Corals you need alot of studies and knowledge, eg. LPS and SPS have different requirement on lighting, a good skimmer is important, I gave up after keeping it for a few years ( time constraint ) , u may wanna click on this link and look at my SPS tank

My 4ft from DSB to BB - Singapore Reef Club - Page 12

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub88
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back