Annoying screeches from brakes

DrK

The left brakes (not sure front or rear) have been giving out a fairly faint screeching sound ("eeeee..") when I step on the brake pedal, usually when the car is coming to a stop.

Any idea what is causing this? Is it the brake pad? Brakes still work fine and well during city drive. Just that the annoying noise does not sound normal. I'm on BMW performance brake kit btw.

Thanks.

Re: Annoying screeches from brakes

DrK;612971 said:
The left brakes (not sure front or rear) have been giving out a fairly faint screeching sound ("eeeee..") when I step on the brake pedal, usually when the car is coming to a stop.

Any idea what is causing this? Is it the brake pad? Brakes still work fine and well during city drive. Just that the annoying noise does not sound normal. I'm on BMW performance brake kit btw.

Thanks.

Put some grease to the caliper components - pins, clips and back of pads etc. Try red rubber grease.......actually before that try a spirited drive - maybe the pads need some re-bedding.

DrK;612971 said:

Thanks.

I have the same problem with the BMW Performance brake. Faint screeching sound at low speed and when car coming to a halt. Actually the first 8 months was perfectly fine, then this started and become persistent. Talked to several parties, apparently, for performance brakes, this is what it is. can try bedding your brakes as many suggested in previous threads. And also, changing brake pads may not necessary solve this problem.

same here
screeching and harsh jerk when braking my preFL 320i
trying to get used to it

drove my fren's 4yr old Latio today...wah liew...brake so quiet and smooth stop than mine!

@%$$#^%$&!

same here...started noticing this loud screeching sound when braking.....so basically there's no solution? it cant be right??

Alexxx;617013 said:
same here...started noticing this loud screeching sound when braking.....so basically there's no solution? it cant be right??

Put some grease on the brake components.......pins, collars, back of pads. Not the rotors. Clean up the muck before applying the grease.

Last edited by a moderator:

if loud, that means something is vibrating real fast.

check your rotor for any signs of deep grooves. if there is, that's probably one reason why there's the noise.

also, depending on the hardness of the pads vs. the rotors, some amount of brake sound will be present.

the greasing of the pins, collars n back of pads will help some what. but if it does not address the issue of the worn rotor n pads, the screech will come back.

Drove into PML for them to have a quick look last week. Everything is good according to them (yes skeptics I know..). Told me that my brake bads are still thick, rotors are good and nothing is vibrating. Fair enough. They recommended me to send it in for a full checkup on one of the weekdays morning at 9am. But I'm working and weekday mornings are hectic for me, hence I pushed it back and told them I will make another appointment some day.

Here are some short 'discoveries' I had made. Whenever the car/rims are washed, the screeching goes away for the rest of the journey. It also happens more regularly when temperature is hot and the car has already done a considerable amount of travelling over 30mins of driving or so. In other words, hard/quick braking which turns into heat makes the screeching more audible. I don't seem to hear much when I try to stop the car gently. So the possible causes could be heat and brake dust? No parts are wobbling for sure. Car is steady as a rock while coming to a stop.

Need to grease the caliper and another round of proper bedding.

If pads were replaced recently, go back to workshop and insists that they remove pads and re-apply liberal amount of high-temp grease on the shims, calipers and clips. Avoid grease on the pad surface.
After that, find a safe place for bedding. ...Tuas or stretch of road from ECP to Changi Village....forgotten the name.

Accel to about 80 km then brake (70 to 80% pressure) to slow 20 km/h then repeat. Do about 10 times. Then drive slowly to cool the pad for about 5 mins. Do another 5 times. Excessive bedding will lead to disc warp....so allowing disc to cool after first round (10 times) is very important.
You will realize 1 or more discs has slight purplish streaks but thats okay. This should take care of the squeal.

I had exactly the same problem. Talked to many enthusiasts, in most cases, a shoddy job from workshop and improper bedding for performance pads. The mechanics don't understand the importance of applying liberal amount of good quality high-temp grease to prevent squeal..... They thought the anti-squeal (sticky adhesive) on SHIM is sufficient. THIS IS WRONG. Both anti-squeal and liberal amount of grease are needed......
So far, it has been 2 months after I have re-bedded and re-greased. Squealing hardly heard or too soft to hear it. I should say, 90% reduction. Happy driver now...

If your workshop refuses to remove the pads for re-greasing, you can buy from DIY shop White Lithium Grease in spraycan. Using a small red tube as nozzle, spray generous amount of the while grease on the calipers and grooves. Small amount of grease will get onto the disc or pad surface but that's okay. Drive around slowly to clean the grease off the discs to bring back the bite. Now, go bedding...... Using white-lithium grease is quite unsightly.....due to the white color some cleaning up is required. This method cannot be applied to Performance multi-port caliper because its concealed.

For me, I feel that squeal is 50% due to improper bedding and 50% insufficient good quality high-temp grease.

Happy Driving with Safety in Mind.....

my car is less than 1 yr old...have not changed the pads etc..so it might still be improper bedding?

Try proper bedding first. Anyway, it only costs you a ride Changi-V or Tuas.
If still doesn't work then get workshop to grease the caliber assembly.
Apparently, the grease acts as damper or isolation to reduce amplification of high frequency vibrations from the disc?
I can understand how annoying it gets with its squeals. May be thats what BMW called it the JOY.....

BTW, after a proper bedding, you can also feel that braking characteristic become more linear and better control. Great feel.

Good Luck!

Hmm... I've noticed the same problem with mine as well... Was going to drive it into PML for them to take a look but I might try "bedding" them first. Thanks for the info guys!

Think its a norm. It happens to my brembo. N i understand Bmw Perf brake oso made by brembo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
speedvay
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back