anybody remove center (not rear) muffler on E90 320i?

purity

Hi,
is anybody here have experience removing 320i E90 center (not rear) muffler/silencer?
How does the performance compare with original?
How loud does the exhaust become?at what RPM is the performance and noise different the most?
Thanks

Re: anybody remove center (not rear) muffler on E90 320i?

no experience but i believe there's a bit of a drop in the bhp but a little gain in torque. or maybe i got it the other way around.

anyway, you'd notice that its louder all over the rev range but probably more obvious at higher rpms.

i wouldn't think it would be very loud unless you get a less restrictive muffler.

I'll let you know when i get my eisenmann. heh heh

Hi Raley,
thanks for your reply.
Does your eisenmann come with front silencer straight pipes?
or you gonna make a custom straight pipe when you install your eisenmann?
Thanks

the middle pipes are seprate and they still have the resonator in the middle.

i guess i'm gonna fabricate some pipes. still dunno whether to follow the original twin pipes or just make one straight pipe.

anyone who knows all this fluid dynamics stuff knows what works better?

Hi Raley

I strongly advise you not to... I have tried removing the Resonator, and the low end of your car will suffer big time.. drivability drops to 0 virtually...unless u rev ur car all the time when driving in our "Uniquely City"... It is better to keep the middle reasonator..by the way, it is already straight thru..

If im not wrong, the two just after the extractors in the middle are called cats, the resonator is the one all the way at the back, just before the muffler, rectangular in shape, if u empty that out, all u get is a very very raw sound, thats like ur sound box... u dun loose any hp frm that .

i always wondered wat happened if u remove the cats... been reading online bout it alot but still everyone's saying different things... some say will lose torque, some say won't... confusing

ya.. I also wonder what happens when we really do remove the Cats? Of course the warning light will come on.. but any HP gains or lost??

Mockngbrd;146130 said:
i always wondered wat happened if u remove the cats... been reading online bout it alot but still everyone's saying different things... some say will lose torque, some say won't... confusing

You don't actually ... but because most e46 are actually auto and na, it feels like it you see. with auto your gearing is done by the computer, so naturally you feel abit lumpy in the start. but if u look closely at dyno charts and all.. you don't lose, its just that the backpressure you're used too, after removing the cats, it's very free flowing.. no "tight" feeling.. but you do see gains... it's usually more when you're FI'ed....

thanks ah Shaaz for the detailed explaination... see more lights now...

hmm.... ok..... idea idea.........
but still waiting waiting waiting for my xzos to arrive.... slow boat from europe... 2 months liao :(

Kiddy M;146141 said:
ya.. I also wonder what happens when we really do remove the Cats? Of course the warning light will come on.. but any HP gains or lost??

No warning lights what so ever comes on...

Hi all,

To my experience, removing center box and just straight pipe thru will improve quite noticable torque gain from >3500rpm to redline (Dyno before) BUT will suffer from 2500rpm to 3500rpm. 1500rpm to 2500rpm (the initial push still there but then have flat spot after that before torque come again > 3500rpm).

If you like to redline often, eg. tracking, then try this setup.

Speak for e46 and I believe it is the same for e90 too.

hope this help.

is it? Eh.. but most ppl told me that warning lights will come on after you removed the Cats... any experienced bros here can clarify this?
I ask before... hmmm.....

Kiddy M;146158 said:
is it? Eh.. but most ppl told me that warning lights will come on after you removed the Cats... any experienced bros here can clarify this?
I ask before... hmmm.....

no warning lights at all.. your O2 Sensors are at precats, ( headers) even so if you change your headers also no warning light.. nothing at all..

Oh ok.. I see.. ok.. thank you for the clarification... hope you are not pulling my leg ah Shaaz...

Thanks!! :)

Kiddy M;146195 said:
Oh ok.. I see.. ok.. thank you for the clarification... hope you are not pulling my leg ah Shaaz...

Thanks!! :)

I'm not, so basically you can take ur original pre-cats out ( headers) install the HI-OP or BVO free flow headers, then go custom make to stainless steel pipes to replace ur cats in the middle.. sure got diff... BVO headers abt 1650 with installation. good buy i say.

eh Shaaz.. Valvetronic got no headers out yet la.. I have been asking for many months... :(

If got, I sure change already...

Thanks anyway!

Kiddy M;146211 said:
eh Shaaz.. Valvetronic got no headers out yet la.. I have been asking for many months... :(

If got, I sure change already...

Thanks anyway!

Keep on forgetting that yours a 630 mate!... keep thinking of the M54 block, neways.. whats the diff betweeen the two??.. both straight 6 too right??.. or is there extra things in there im not aware of?.

bro, no worries... I think the Valvetronic engine is a little harder to modify in terms of exhaust flow.. not like the M54 engine.. with Vanos only.. much easier to tune/modify... also the M54 enigne has been around longer, so all the renowned tuners already got good grasp of what to do with it...

Maybe Hiop will come out a header soon for this N52 engine.. (fingers crossed)...

Which is why, I mentioned earlier, that for this N52 engine.. when you take out the Rear Reasonator, the car virtually drives like a Kia Picanto.. I took out mine before, and it was really embrassing... wanna overtake a car..noise a lot.. but car not moving much until the RPM hit over 3K... (I learned...aiyah...)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debet39com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back