Bass Tube for BMW 318i

MRacer77

Legendary 10 Years
If what you say is right and your friends ride is a 316, it should also mean that it is either an E30 or E36. Either way, the stereo is not integrated with the electronics in the car, as such, it is very easy to mod your ICE. however, please note that the headunits that came with the cars are utter and complete crap. As such, it would not make much difference if you add a bass tube or subwoofer. Better off going with a newer and better headunit...

Sorry, my fren's BM should be 318i. Think it's 3yrd old already.

Can he add a small subwoofer or active bass tube to enhance the bass of his HU ? His HU is that kind that's integrated and seems impossible to change.

Any advice pls.

TIA.

My advice= Change the HU...more options for you to lay ur system.

Installing a sub to the E46 system should not be a problem....but it won't be a simple job of just wiring a sub to your HU and play. If I am not wrong, installer will need a preamp to control the sub...you will need a extra amp for this purpose too. But since going to sub....why bother with a tube ? Tube are more sutiable for those cars whereby space is a issue. But if your friend is not going for pure power SPL (Sound Pressure Level) then a tube is ok.

Look for installers like

1) JM Audio
2) Dynasty Audio
3) Hong Guan Radio
4) New Generation
5) Swift Motion
etc....

These installer have been in the market for donkey years and have handle E46 before. The customised kit for the E46 has been out for sometime already, your friend can actually change the HU if he so wishes....just that he cannot control the radio functions from the steering wheel only.

From my previous experience, putting a tube in the boot of my car is like have machiam dun have even tho it is powered by a power amp . Simply bcoz the bass cannot penetrate thru the rear seats.

For all BMWs, u nd to cut a hole on the rear board to allow the sound to pass thru cos the sound insulation is way too good.

Ghostrider,

some HU allow steering wheel control. Alpine and Blaupunkt both have adaptors for the E46 steering wheel, not sure about the other BMW models.

emiffy said:
Ghostrider,

some HU allow steering wheel control. Alpine and Blaupunkt both have adaptors for the E46 steering wheel, not sure about the other BMW models.

Yup, Alpine has it... I'm thinking of shipping one adaptor over from europe... Also concurrently checking with the local distributor...

Anyone keen to carry out this 'mod' with me? :wavey:

BTW, Alpine also has the cable to link-up with ipod..

Derektvy,

I've contacted the distributor in Singapore (Ho Nam or something like that), and they are not too keen on bringing it in.

I'm definitely keen to have a group buy... let me know if you're keen...

The Alpine distributor is Wo Kee Hong Distribiutor Pte Ltd

They dun really support the entire Alpine range. I enquiry about the DAB decoder before...they say have to indent....baskit. Hopeless.....lucky I their HU can make it....if not long ago I would have switch camps already.

I know some of the models can have the intergration...maybe you guys would like to try your luck by buying from Japan directly instead.

About the iPod....top end Alpine units would have a AUX jack that you can connect anything to it.

emiffy said:
Derektvy,

I've contacted the distributor in Singapore (Ho Nam or something like that), and they are not too keen on bringing it in.

I'm definitely keen to have a group buy... let me know if you're keen...

I'll checkout the availability + details first.... den update you guys...

Ghostrider said:
The Alpine distributor is Wo Kee Hong Distribiutor Pte Ltd

They dun really support the entire Alpine range. I enquiry about the DAB decoder before...they say have to indent....baskit. Hopeless.....lucky I their HU can make it....if not long ago I would have switch camps already.

I know some of the models can have the intergration...maybe you guys would like to try your luck by buying from Japan directly instead.

About the iPod....top end Alpine units would have a AUX jack that you can connect anything to it.

I think they also mentioned that they need to indent the steering wheel thingy... I'll try and see how.. Mebbe if Sg dealer not willing, we can indent from Europe, US or Aust dealers?

Yup... Noted the Aux input jack.. But wanna have the HU display the songs.. + control via steering.. ;)

Oh...like dat too bad.

Alternative....get a HU that can play MP3 and WMA lor....many HU supports this function nowadays.

To add a subwoofer to e46 is not a problem, basically u need an amp to power it. Assuming your fren is not changing the front components and HU (altho he should), what will happen is the sound quality doesnt change much, except that it now plays the sub bass frequencies. I would not suggst active sub cos it lacks flexibility in terms of adjusting the gain and the low pass crossover.
What he needs is a Hi-lo converter cos the stock HU has no rca output.

The HU can be changed, steering remote can be retained with an adaptor which cost i think about $250 plus minus, which in my opinion is not worth it. Blaupunkt HU are not recommended from wat i've heard from enthusiasts.

For Ipod, i think the easier way is to simply purchase a iTrip which is wireless and the HU will simply play the songs from your iPob library.

Snail_Mobile,

simply remove the rear speakers, no need to cut anything...

my two cents..

Simply remove the rear speakers works, but the sound wld be hollow, n does not balance. If tats the case must well u save the money n do not mod on ur sound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mibetworld
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back