BBK Recommendations

darkavgr

Think there are a few in the market:

1. Brembos ($5k+)

2. Stoptech (5k)

3. AP Racing (5k+ 4 pot, nearly 6k for 6pot)
Read a review that some parts esp bolts rust after some time
Performance good tho

4. Grippen (saw in M'sia magazine, $?)

all around 4k -6k
Maybe bros here can recommend..
also if the are URLs to reviews of BBKs, appreciate contribution
Any diff for (suitability or performance wise) for E36, E46 or E39s?

cheers..

Re: BBK Recommendations

let's put it this way. Most people who upgrade their brakes here either go with APs or Stoptechs. Performance wise both are about the same. However, with Stoptechs you would most likely need to use spacers or increase your rim size to accomodate the larger calipers. APs usually do not have the problem.

darkavgr said:
Think there are a few in the market:

1. Brembos ($5k+)

2. Stoptech (5k)

3. AP Racing (5k+ 4 pot, nearly 6k for 6pot)
Read a review that some parts esp bolts rust after some time
Performance good tho

4. Grippen (saw in M'sia magazine, $?)

all around 4k -6k
Maybe bros here can recommend..
also if the are URLs to reviews of BBKs, appreciate contribution
Any diff for (suitability or performance wise) for E36, E46 or E39s?

cheers..
Which vehicle are you looking to fit the BBKs on?

E39 M54 520 with 18" front 235/40/18 M5 rims

darkavgr said:

Bro, if u dun really track your car and dun go tail-gating EVOs, might I recommend you juz go for betta brake pads and save the moolah! Bendix/Axxis Ultimates or Ferodo Premier very good liao.

darkavgr said:
I think your safest bet is to check out the offset for your rims first. From there onwards you might then decide which BBK is suitable for your car.

Coz if your rims are "tight" you will need spacers for either Stoptech or AP Racing BBKs

preferably dont wanna use spacers...
now that u mentioned it, space around there seem bit tight

Ok
I hv seen the E39 M5 rims close enough last time at BVO
And I can confirm that the rims CAN'T clear Brembo and StopTech. I m oso a bit pessimistic on AP Racing to be honest with regard to the clearance.

Rex
Offset is irrelevant for BBK clearance. It's all about the spoke design.
eg OEM 19in M3 rims hv the same offset as OEM CSL's but the former clears any BBK but the latter only clears couple of brands.

TripleM said:
Ok
I hv seen M5 rims close enough last time at BVO
And I can confirm that the rims CAN'T clear Brembo and StopTech. I m oso a bit pessimistic on AP Racing to be honest with regard to the clearance.

Rex
eg OEM 19in M3 rims hv the same offset as OEM CSL's but the former clears any BBK but the latter only clears couple of brands.
Ahhh yes.... Thats right, sorry bout the error! My mistake! Kekeke

U didnt hear my Vroom2x yestday did u Rex?

Hey you might want to consider TWR racing brakes. 5.3K 6pot front 4 pot rear for the full set. They are really very light. The caliper and pads combined is lighter than my old UUC V1 calipers by itself. It's a Canadian brand that uses Carbotech Brake pads. Supposedly it's pretty good.
If not I think Rex7vtec can get APs and/or Stoptech BBKs for you.

TripleM said:

so no matter how thick a spacer i add, i won't be able to fit brembo calipers if i keep my style 106 turbines ah?

louis
u can try 30mm but that's insane.
do Geoff's approach...Lup in BBK, Lup in new rims...swee2x

Try these for size. They can be specified to match your rims.

louis,

Ditch those 106s if you want to get a BBK. The spokes won't clear even the smallest of the BBKs. The conventional design rims are the safest bet. BBS and Hamann will usually clear without problem. You can also try Hartge and RD since they fit BBKs to their cars too.

Tanzy said:
louis,

Ditch those 106s if you want to get a BBK. The spokes won't clear even the smallest of the BBKs. The conventional design rims are the safest bet. BBS and Hamann will usually clear without problem. You can also try Hartge and RD since they fit BBKs to their cars too.

but i love my turbines... although in hindsight, i should have optioned the car with 108s instead.

TripeM is the man to talk to with regards to offsets!! I have used 15-12-10mm spacers for my BBK because i refuse to change my "ugly" 19 ' rims! And if you dont get proper spacers; your WILL get vibrations at certain speeds for sure! And must go for high speed rotation everytime you take off that front wheels for whatever reasons! Pain in the SSS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linkvaosky88

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back