Beemer ICE Newbie Questions...

premraj

hi guys,

wow! i can finally post in the main forums. :)

i took delivery of a new 320i professional (my first beemer) at the tail end of dec 2008 and am loving every minute of owning it. i have a couple of questions relating to the stock audio system which i hope you'll be able to help with.

1. the stock headunit - i can connect my ipod and it can play my music but the track titles are all garbled and i can't access playlists and other ipod functionalities. and since the ipod goes into charging mode when i connect it to the 320 via usb, i can't access playlists on the ipod either. so, the ipod acts like a hdd. i've read the forums here and gather that i'd need either a special cable from bmw or some sort of interface in a box. i also understand that there is some sort of "reprogramming" that is required. i'm a little lost. apprecaite if someone could help enlighten.

2. the forumers here have been talking about logic 7, denison, dice, etc. what are these? i've done a google search but couldn't gather much. *sigh*

3. i would also like to know if the stock headunit has a mute wire to connect a car kit. this means that when a call comes through, the radio / cd mutes automatically.

4. has anyone replaced the stock headunit in a 2008 320i? i was wondering how it fits as the stock headunit's enclosure looks a lot bigger than the standard single din. is there a frame of sorts? does anyone have pictures to share?

5. will there be an issue if i replaced the speakers and add amps to the stock headunit? will i need to bring the car back to pml for programming or anything complicated like that?

my apologies for the numerous questions and thanks in advance for any help rendered.

cheers,

prem

Re: Beemer ICE Newbie Questions...

premraj;414854 said:
hi guys,

i took delivery of a new 320i professional (my first beemer) at the tail end of dec 2008 and am loving every minute of owning it. i have a couple of questions relating to the stock audio system which i hope you'll be able to help with.

1. the stock headunit - i can connect my ipod and it can play my music but the track titles are all garbled and i can't access playlists and other ipod functionalities. and since the ipod goes into charging mode when i connect it to the 320 via usb, i can't access playlists on the ipod either. so, the ipod acts like a hdd. i've read the forums here and gather that i'd need either a special cable from bmw or some sort of interface in a box. i also understand that there is some sort of "reprogramming" that is required. i'm a little lost. apprecaite if someone could help enlighten.

2. the forumers here have been talking about logic 7, denison, dice, etc. what are these? i've done a google search but couldn't gather much. *sigh*

3. i would also like to know if the stock headunit has a mute wire to connect a car kit. this means that when a call comes through, the radio / cd mutes automatically.

4. has anyone replaced the stock headunit in a 2008 320i? i was wondering how it fits as the stock headunit's enclosure looks a lot bigger than the standard single din. is there a frame of sorts? does anyone have pictures to share?

5. will there be an issue if i replaced the speakers and add amps to the stock headunit? will i need to bring the car back to pml for programming or anything complicated like that?

my apologies for the numerous questions and thanks in advance for any help rendered.

cheers,

prem

can anyone help? :(

Hi Bro, probably I share some of the knowledge i gathered through the process of my soundsystem upgrade..might be some help for you :juggle:

1) The auxiliary input that comes with our ride is just a input which allows any 'source' transfer to audio to our existing stock soundsystem. So will have sound but no controls over the 'source'.

2) Logic 7 is the PML optional premium sound upgrade. Basically PML slightly upgrade the integrated amp power and additional speakers into the car. Same price range aftermarket upgrade, will be yield a much better performance over this upgrade. Not much info on the Dension & Dice etc, but it should be an aftermarket upgrade that has a interface that enable stock headunit to have control over ipod.

3) The 'Mute' wire enable adding of bluetooth interface. The upgrade comes with additional mic also. It adds bluetooth function to our current system. Didn't have this installed on my car, so unable to elaborate much..

4) I Might be replacing the current stock headunit for better sound improvement. Yes, there is an aftermarket faceplate which will be replace the current headunit when it make way for an aftermarket one. Steering control can be retained after adding of an module.

5) Changing of aftermarket speakers and adding of amplifiers will not affect PML warranty if you go to a reputable workshop that knows their job well. Let them know your concerns.

Hopefully this helps to get you a better picture

Cheers!

thank you very much for your response, oskool. that was very helpful info.

perhaps i missed your point about the "mute" wire. am i to understand that the "mute" wire is not part of the stock headunit?

please advise. thanks!! :)

premraj;414854 said:
hi guys,

cheers,

prem

Hi Prem,

On Question 1, yes you need a special cable for your connection. I can see from your post that your Aux connection is one that comes with both the USB and the audio jack. So just ask the PML chaps for the Y-cable ipod connector. You should be able to get the part number first from a google search which is what I do when getting parts from them as you might just get a blur look from the PML staff which is quite irritating. Let me know if you can't find the part number.

On question 2, can't comment on denison or dice as I do not use them. On Logic 7, I have this and this is usually factory ordered option as in my case. It improves the sound quality significantly for the average Joe like me. You get uprated speakers and amplifier as well as an equaliser and surround sound controls controlled through your navi screen. If you are an audiophile, look elsewhere, otherwise its more than good enough for most people who want to retain the stock look.

On question 3, again, as far as I know, I use the OEM head unit and with that I ordered the BMW bluetooth option which does mute the sound. If you have your iphone connected it also pauses the music and restarts from the same spot after your call.

Can't help on question 4 or 5. I like the stock look so have retained the stock HU and am currently happy with the Logic 7 uprated speakers.

Cheers.

rajesh

camelot88;424793 said:
Hi Prem,

On Question 1, yes you need a special cable for your connection. I can see from your post that your Aux connection is one that comes with both the USB and the audio jack. So just ask the PML chaps for the Y-cable ipod connector. You should be able to get the part number first from a google search which is what I do when getting parts from them as you might just get a blur look from the PML staff which is quite irritating. Let me know if you can't find the part number.

On question 2, can't comment on denison or dice as I do not use them. On Logic 7, I have this and this is usually factory ordered option as in my case. It improves the sound quality significantly for the average Joe like me. You get uprated speakers and amplifier as well as an equaliser and surround sound controls controlled through your navi screen. If you are an audiophile, look elsewhere, otherwise its more than good enough for most people who want to retain the stock look.

On question 3, again, as far as I know, I use the OEM head unit and with that I ordered the BMW bluetooth option which does mute the sound. If you have your iphone connected it also pauses the music and restarts from the same spot after your call.

Can't help on question 4 or 5. I like the stock look so have retained the stock HU and am currently happy with the Logic 7 uprated speakers.

Cheers.

rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you so much for your kind response and my sincere apologies for the late response. I was out of town for quite a bit for a conference.

Appreciate your answers to my newbie questions. It helps a great deal.

I guess I'd prefer to keep the stock HU. Gives the interior a continuous look, if you know what I mean. Moreover, it seems like a lot of the car's settings are done through the HU and I don't want to lose those controls.

The stock HU does produce fairly decent sound and I like how jazz sounds on it. However, 80s pop, alternative and other genres of music aren't music to my ears, pardon the pun.

I went down to New Gen last week as was quoted more than $5k for a setup including DSL amps, Alpine processor (with a screen display), speakers and the works. While I am very confident that I will be blown away by that setup, I don't spend enough time in my car to justify the cost. I was also advised to install an active sub under the dash. I am unfortunately not a fan of active subs.

Any way to make do with what I have? I wouldn't mind an amp (or two?) and changing the speakers to better quality ones. A sub in my boot also won't hurt. But will this help improve the sound or just make the mediocre output louder?

Also, while at New Gen, I got a Parrot bluetooth carkit installed. It works seamlessly with the headunut - muting it when a call comes in. But I realised two things :

(1) Music played from my CD or thumbdrive aren't paused. It just mutes.

(2) If I am using the GPS and a call comes through, the voice navigation is also muted!

Not sure if I can get (1) and (2) to work. I can do without (1) but (2) can be quite critical.

Any advise you can render would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Prem

Hi all, not sure where I can get some advice. I will be getting my 120 convertible soon and wonder if anyone has any advice on the stock unit - is it decent enough, what upgrades are recommended etc? Would like to hear from other 120i drivers in particular. Thanks.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm a newbie too and would like to find out if we can change the centre armrest console to the 08-09 FL one in that it has a USB and Ipod slot.

My E90 only has the AUX port and I can't live without MP3s

Oskool;421790 said:
Hi Bro, probably I share some of the knowledge i gathered through the process of my soundsystem upgrade..might be some help for you :juggle:

1) The auxiliary input that comes with our ride is just a input which allows any 'source' transfer to audio to our existing stock soundsystem. So will have sound but no controls over the 'source'.

2) Logic 7 is the PML optional premium sound upgrade. Basically PML slightly upgrade the integrated amp power and additional speakers into the car. Same price range aftermarket upgrade, will be yield a much better performance over this upgrade. Not much info on the Dension & Dice etc, but it should be an aftermarket upgrade that has a interface that enable stock headunit to have control over ipod.

3) The 'Mute' wire enable adding of bluetooth interface. The upgrade comes with additional mic also. It adds bluetooth function to our current system. Didn't have this installed on my car, so unable to elaborate much..

4) I Might be replacing the current stock headunit for better sound improvement. Yes, there is an aftermarket faceplate which will be replace the current headunit when it make way for an aftermarket one. Steering control can be retained after adding of an module.

5) Changing of aftermarket speakers and adding of amplifiers will not affect PML warranty if you go to a reputable workshop that knows their job well. Let them know your concerns.

Hopefully this helps to get you a better picture

Cheers!

Modifying the sound system will not void PML's warranty??

biggio;448604 said:
Modifying the sound system will not void PML's warranty??

If you are that worried about warranty, stick to crappy stock sound and don't complain lor...:whattheh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nguyenvanhung

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back