BMW iPhone kit

merkava74

For those who owns iPhones and Bimmers. I just checked that the Bluetooth kit with adaptor costs $3k. That's like buying almost 4 iPhones!

It comes with an adaptor that charges the phone, found in the centre armrest (5 series), and it works on Bluetooth too.

Apparently your address book and calls etc appears on the iDrive, and they are using the car's audio as speakers...

Any takers? Sounds tempting, but I will either change car or change phone sooner than the $3k is used to its value....

Re: BMW iPhone kit

Hi merkava74,

Who did you ask @ PML?
Been trying to get the kit since dec 07, but reply was that it is not available as iPhone not in Singapore yet.

Pls advice, thanks!

Cheers,
Keen

I've not tried pairing the iPhone with the BMW bluetooth kit, but from what I've read in other forums, it does work. You don't really need to have the dock unless you're going on a long journey and need to charge your phone in the car. Or, signal is real bad and the external shark fin antenna is needed for better reception. $3K is too much for a bluetooth retrofit

The retrofit package from PML usually includes a dock and they charge quite a bit for it. I ordered a retrofit kit last month and paid just under $2k, without a dock. This was during their 20% discount on accessiories & parts promo.

BTW the bluetooth option with a new car is about $2700 (factory installed). If you're getting a new car from PML without bluetooth, make sure it has the telephony prep option (640A), otherwise bluetooth retrofit is not possible.

Cheers!

Hi eggz,
Thanks for the heads up on your install and pricing.

Agree that $2-3k is still much to pay for what is a standard feature on other cars: C-Class, GTR...

I am refering to the iPhone Kit that will allow songs in the iPhone to be played thru iDrive. YouTube - Apple iPhone -- BMW Compatible

Aside: Anyone knows how to activate the Nav DVD player to play DVDs on iDrive LCD screen? Can Hong Guan do it?

Cheers.

I just got my BT installed from PML. With iPhone snap in adapter, price under $3k. As mentioned, the snap in adapter boosts the signal strength using the external shark fin, and charges your iPhone. It fits perfectly.

The BT phone functions works perfectly too. All of my phone contacts are now displayed on the iDrive.

Voice activated dialing is also a breeze. Works perfectly, and recognises any voice. e.g. me saying "dial number" and my wife saying the same thing works (my wife does not sound like a man.... :p)

This is using the voice command button on the steering wheel (the one with the face and waves coming out of the mouth).

To play your iPod function in your iPhone, you still need PML's iPod interface retrofit (under $1k).

So, was it worth it? Hell yeah! truly handsfree, and working perfectly!

Congrats....Mr Neo was mentioning how amazing the system is today!!!

Can I ask where is the snap in adapter placed? center armrest console?

Went down to PML yesterday, was told the the ipod interface(USB aux in) at the center armrest console cannot be retrofitted. You would have to have it as a factory option to have it. Some wiring issues, damn sian...

the only ipod interface that can be installed is the one at the glove compartment, means you have to plug the phone there...

Keen;345062 said:
Can I ask where is the snap in adapter placed? center armrest console?

Went down to PML yesterday, was told the the ipod interface(USB aux in) at the center armrest console cannot be retrofitted. You would have to have it as a factory option to have it. Some wiring issues, damn sian...

the only ipod interface that can be installed is the one at the glove compartment, means you have to plug the phone there...

Yes, the snap in adapter is in the center armrest. Its functions are just to charge and boost signal strength. Does not play your iPod function.

If you car is factory fitted with iPod functionality, you will have a USB port and an AUX port in the center armrest. However, you cannot use the snap in adapter if you are using iPod, as the head phone jack will not fit with the snap-in, which fits exactly.

To play iPod, you will have to install the iPod interface, around $800. It does not have to be in the glove compartment. I have told PML to see if they can get the wire to pop out of my center dash console near the gear shift. They are getting back to me. Once ok, I will install in.

Internet forums have also mentioned that the wire can charge your iPhone.

I have tried to plug in my iPhone on a car that we fitted with the interface, and it works perfectly. Calls can still be answered (although when you initially plug it in, your iPhone will have a message saying it does not support, and whether you want to turn on airplane mode. Just click no, and you can continue to use it).

BMW iPhone kit

I just bought a cable. Both sides are similar to the size of the iPhone ear phones jack. I think they call it 3.5" to 3.5" plugs.. its essentially a cable with 2 ends similar jack. They work well on the ipod.. I think should work on the iphone as well.. just cost me $5. Bought from Sim Lim.. check out those Audio shops.. bought it from a shop on the 2nd flr.

aerobic;482628 said:
I just bought a cable. Both sides are similar to the size of the iPhone ear phones jack. I think they call it 3.5" to 3.5" plugs.. its essentially a cable with 2 ends similar jack. They work well on the ipod.. I think should work on the iphone as well.. just cost me $5. Bought from Sim Lim.. check out those Audio shops.. bought it from a shop on the 2nd flr.
Congrats! U juz got the worst output in ur life. Honestly, other than headphone, i only use dock connectors for output.

Actually the sound of coming out of the car speakers are quite good.. not sure why you say its bad.. also its dangerous to listen through headphones in the car.. with the cables all over the place not to mention if you can hear other cars horn...

aerobic;482732 said:
Actually the sound of coming out of the car speakers are quite good.. not sure why you say its bad.. also its dangerous to listen through headphones in the car.. with the cables all over the place not to mention if you can hear other cars horn...
Sound coming from headphone jack is bad because it is for low volume output (i.e.headphone). On the other hand, sound output from dock connector is based on native volume of the particular track. I have tried both output. If u r not sure, u could borrow a apple dock connector & try.

aerobic;482732 said:

Because you are relying on the hardware (Digital to Analog Converter) or equaliser etc within your iPhone/Ipod to process the signals to audio output. You are just using the car speakers for the output instead of your iPhone/Ipod speakers or headphone.

The in-built DAC on you Ipod/iPhone will never be up to par with the one in your HU, thats why using the digital output from your port connecter -> HU -> speakers would be a much better output.

He didn't mean that he uses headphones in the car lah...what he meant was that he only uses the audio jack on his ipod for listening via headphones while walking on the street / on a plane etc.

davidtch;482714 said:
Congrats! U juz got the worst output in ur life. Honestly, other than headphone, i only use dock connectors for output.

Actually the worst output is using those FM transmitters...introduces A LOT of noise!

marklee;482750 said:
Actually the worst output is using those FM transmitters...introduces A LOT of noise!
Marklee, thanks for further clarfication.

davidtch;482714 said:

I totally agree. Using the Aux for output is damn crap. The sound is terrible!

Agree that the sound would be better if you out put it from dock connector.. but cost is more than $1K right? If you use the earphone connector direct connect, cost $5 right? Is it really worth paying $1K for the dock connector?

aerobic;483084 said:
Agree that the sound would be better if you out put it from dock connector.. but cost is more than $1K right? If you use the earphone connector direct connect, cost $5 right? Is it really worth paying $1K for the dock connector?

The bmw iphone kit is not the only solution that allows you to play music from ipod through dock connector. It is probably the most graceful though since it displays song title etc on your idrive. Other solutions such as an Alpine HU with cable should cost approx 400-500? I'm not sure, don't quote me on this.

To me the difference is huge and worth paying for. However, if you cannot hear the difference or you are listening to low bit rate mp3s than there is no point.

Remeber that in the audio world, the more you pay for a new technology in your amp, speaker, earphone/headphone, the marginal benefits decrease. As long as you are comfortable with what you are hearing it's all good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuesankhau

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back