BMW Z4 SMG or Manual ?

Pancreas

Hi fellas,

Thinking of either getting the Z4 SMG or manual ? Anyone with any suggestions as to which is better ? I was told that the SMG takes the spirit out of the drive. Personally, I have driven the Z4 SMG and gotten used to the transmission and it's quite smooth and fun IMHO. But my friends with it swear that within 1 month, you wished you had a manual. Any Z4 SMG owners with the same regrets ?

From what I have surveryed recently the service at PML sucks, and as such, would it be recommended to get the Z4 from the parallels and save the moola ? Any good parallels to recommend ?

Thanks in advance :)

Re: BMW Z4 SMG or Manual ?

I don't really regret my SMG at all.

I've driven the Z4M (in manual) and while i'll have to say it's a very engaging drive...the stop-go nature of Singapore's traffic conditions are a major pain in the ass to deal with.

Even with the SMG auto function, getting home from work gets a bit testy at times when you're crawling along the ECP over the ben. shears bridge etc..

If i was in another country which didn't have such conditions to deal with everyday, i would have gone for a manual without question. But in Singapore..the novelty may wear off by a sore leg at peak traffic times...

Re: BMW Z4 SMG or Manual ?

IF I were in your position, here is what I think.

Obviously, a 2 seater car would be a FUN car. Every bit of it would be for fun. I would make NO compromises at all. It would 100% be a FUN factor thing.

FOr me it is undisputed that a manual is a more engaging drive than any automatic, including automated manuals like the SMG or DSG.

So the main thing bothering me is traffic.

BUT then I learned to drive manuals on a Volvo 144 long long ago, and the clutch was as heavy as a truck's clutch. YET I could handle Kuala Lumpur traffic even. I had nothing to complain about because I did not have an auto car.

BUT there were times when you reach the pardon me?pardon me?pardon me? areas, going through the traffic jam, when you finally reached the place you were too tired to perform.

BUT now we have full hydraulic assisted clutches, light as hell, as light as the clutch in a Honda civic of old. (sorry, not sure about Z4 have or not, but Cayman has it). It can even creep in 1st gear just by acutating the clutch without accelerator pressure. And automatic cars like the 335i no longer creep anyway.

Hell, if I wanted an automated anything I'd buy a lexus. Or an Odyssey, which I did. Fitted the softest suspension and the softest tyres with the softest sidewalls too.

But a 2 seater is a FUN car. NEver forget that. You will regret it if you are really a Manual enthusiast. You'd be missing out on all the heel toe, double declutch, things which make you feel like a HERO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinggroup
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back