Both ASC & ABS lights up

Racebred

Core Group Members
best is to plug it in. One warning light represents a whole page of possible fault codes. it could range from your ABS pump failure, to wheel sensor fault, to a fuse problem, or your ASC module fault, even idle valve.

I went to plug-in to diagnose and and realised that it's the speed sensor at front left wheel that was faulty.

Replaced the sensor and all was back to normal on the console so far. Problem Solved.

The problem came back again.... Still I get the ABS and ASC lights not switching off after starting the engine. :verysad: When to do another plugin check at BVO and still it says the front left wheel speed sensor.

I just changed the sensor at BVO over the weekend and how can it fail again? Bernard is guessing that its not the sensor this time, but the ABS control unit.

Does anyone has this problem and is it the ABS control unit? The MODIC did not say so. Don't want to change it and realise its not the control unit problem.... wasting time and $.

BTW, any idea how much is the ABS control unit for a e39?

if its the ABS control unit, the GT1 will show specifically the ABS control unit, and not wheel sensor again. If it's not the sensor fault, then it could be a shorted wire or something. See if it's a perpetual fault, or an intermittent fault (the diagnostics will differentiate). if you got a new wheel sensor, then it should still be under parts warrenty and you can get it replaced again.

Its not a perpetual fault, it problem comes on and off. Sometime, when I crank the engine, I get "all system go" ie. no warning lights at all. However, sometimes when I crank the engine, the warning lights of ABS and ASC are lighted.

How to check for short circuit? Sorry, sure where or what to look out for. It seems that when BVO did the check using plug-in, it only reveal that its the "Wheel Sensor" problem, no other issues show up. Do you recon that I should get them to replace the wheel sensor again?

Thanks bro, in advance!!

For this kind of fault, go back to PML...

They have got enuf parts to assemble a car...

They can replace the parts to test and confirm and replace back when it's not the correct one. U only pay for the correct item changed.. U don have such luxury at outside workshop...

There is hundreds of things that can cuase the 2 lights to be on... From wheel speed sensor to ABS pump to throttle body...

My 2 cents

Thanks bro, seems like have to take it back to pml. Sianz! It will cause a bomb to have it done there but guess I don't have a choice do I?

Thanks bro, seems like have to take it back to pml. Sianz! It will cause a bomb to have it done there but guess I don't have a choice do I?

Actually i don think u can get much cheaper ouside if u are doing this kind of troublshooting.........

It sure beat changing things by tikum tikum based on "experience" from outside workshop.

Thinking back now... I used to have this problem as well.. I went outside workshop numerous time but cannot resolve it cos they can agar agar tell me what are the likely fault but dare not change it cos they not sure if it's the fault.... In the end, i brought it back to PML. PML changed a couple of thing to try but the problem still not resolved. They ended up changing my throttle body as the ASC also intervene the throttle opening and true enough, the problem resolved.....

And all that i pay was for the throttle body with 2 days downtime and i felt stupid not going back earlier, having to go thru all the frustration everytime the fault comes on !

Sinner108 said:

Hi Sinner108,

So did you get the problem solved? My E39 starting to show the same symptom. Can advise?

viceroy666

Yup, I got my problem resolved after changing my ABS control unit. The fault lies in the ABS control unit and the problem never came back again. But it burnt a big hole in my pocket as it cost >$1K for that stupid control unit.

Sinner108 said:
viceroy666

Yup, I got my problem resolved after changing my ABS control unit. The fault lies in the ABS control unit and the problem never came back again. But it burnt a big hole in my pocket as it cost >$1K for that stupid control unit.

Thanks bro, did you do it in PML?

nope, I did it at BVO. Think you should do it at PML as they give warranty for the parts they replace. BVO doesn't so I think for something so expensive, its advisable to do it at PML for peace of mind. Do let me know how much PML quote you on this.

I did it at BVO cos I need the car quite urgently to drive to KL and I just don't feel safe going up with ASC and ABS not working, and I only got to know that BVO does not give warranty after I told them to order the part.

My e39 (1996 528i) also just started to show the warning lights a couple of days ago but it went away last night and so far it hasn't reappeard. Viceroy666, have you gone to PML? Can you share with me what they quoted you?

number8 said:
My e39 (1996 528i) also just started to show the warning lights a couple of days ago but it went away last night and so far it hasn't reappeard. Viceroy666, have you gone to PML? Can you share with me what they quoted you?

My car initially was the same. Warning came on and went off. However now in the morning it is ok, and after driving for a while, then the warning lights came on.

Well, my warning lights are still there. No time to get it done. However Goodwill have diagnose as ABS control unit and quote is about 1250. Din ask about warranty thou. Maybe both of us should go and get discount :) haha

My car initially was the same. Warning came on and went off. However now in the morning it is ok, and after driving for a while, then the warning lights came on.

Well, my warning lights are still there. No time to get it done. However Goodwill have diagnose as ABS control unit and quote is about 1250. Din ask about warranty thou. Maybe both of us should go and get discount haha

Thanks. $1250 sounds very expensive and mine is definitely no longer under warranty :(

After sending the post, the lights went away and has not come back on since. If it does, I will check with BVO to see how much they charge.

I think it might be the sensors or the electrical system because the warning lights indicating that the rear light bulbs have blown came on and off even though the bulbs are okay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgripe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back