Bumper colour difference

Bentanlh70

I replaced a new front bumper and had it painted. But I think it’s a shade or two darker as compared to the adjoining fender.

Would like to get some advice. Is it that difficult to achieve an almost identical shade? The fender is 3.5 years old paint.

I am considering redoing it at a different bodyshop, a solid one which can guarantee the result I want. Even if I have to redo it 10 times, perhaps I will. Have you guys experienced a similar issue before? What are the arguments for leaving it alone?

My wife said it’s hardly noticeable, but I don’t buy that.

I replaced a new front bumper and had it painted. But I think it’s a shade or two darker as compared to the adjoining fender.

Would like to get some advice. Is it that difficult to achieve an almost identical shade? The fender is 3.5 years old paint.

I am considering redoing it at a different bodyshop, a solid one which can guarantee the result I want. Even if I have to redo it 10 times, perhaps I will. Have you guys experienced a similar issue before? What are the arguments for leaving it alone?

My wife said it’s hardly noticeable, but I don’t buy that.

Hi Ben,

you got very high standard-solid, usually not so easy to match........
perhaps you may try Sin Wee Chuan-Mike 9107 4888

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Been in the printing industry for 20 over years. It is difficult to get back the same colour tone, especially if there are variation like ink resin source, different printing machines, current weather/temperature. All these factors are already different when compared to the factory in Germany...

Just like all the Nippon shops all around Singapore, get them to formulate the same colour code, you will probably get cans with slight different tone if sourced from different Nippon shops and when mixed on different days...

The only consistency you can get is when you respray the whole car

Hi Ben,

you got very high standard-solid, usually not so easy to match........
perhaps you may try Sin Wee Chuan-Mike 9107 4888

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

yes, i am quite ocd about it.

but if you were offered to respray the bumper by the original workshop, would you take it up?

what are some of the risks of respraying?

thanks for your advice !!!

Been in the printing industry for 20 over years. It is difficult to get back the same colour tone, especially if there are variation like ink resin source, different printing machines, current weather/temperature. All these factors are already different when compared to the factory in Germany...

Just like all the Nippon shops all around Singapore, get them to formulate the same colour code, you will probably get cans with slight different tone if sourced from different Nippon shops and when mixed on different days...

what you said is very true. when i tried to paint the walls in my house, i had the same issue. it was almost like a different colour when in fact it's the same paint code.

you are also right about respraying whole car to get the best consistency. but i am not prepared for a major job like that now.

so the key question is what is the tolerance level. i asked a few pairs of eyes to look at it, and they all think it's not too far off. of course different angles and lighting also play a part.

i even checked out other cars in the carpark, and many of them also have different shade for their bumpers.

so if you were offered to respray the bumper by the original workshop, would you take it up?

what are some of the risks of respraying? like to hear your views on this too.

workshop manager told me they won't be removing the bumper to spray, but will spray it while taping up the surrounding parts. i wonder what is the process of removing the existing paint.

what you said is very true. when i tried to paint the walls in my house, i had the same issue. it was almost like a different colour when in fact it's the same paint code.

you are also right about respraying whole car to get the best consistency. but i am not prepared for a major job like that now.

so the key question is what is the tolerance level. i asked a few pairs of eyes to look at it, and they all think it's not too far off. of course different angles and lighting also play a part.

i even checked out other cars in the carpark, and many of them also have different shade for their bumpers.

so if you were offered to respray the bumper by the original workshop, would you take it up?

what are some of the risks of respraying? like to hear your views on this too.

workshop manager told me they won't be removing the bumper to spray, but will spray it while taping up the surrounding parts. i wonder what is the process of removing the existing paint.
Tolerance level is very much boils down to personal preference.

It would be too tedious to remove the existing paint. The labour probably will cost the same as a new raw bumper.

There are 2 factors playing against you at the moment
1. Bumper - new paint, while the rest of car - old paint
Colours, regardless car paint, wall paint, printing on brochures, newspaper etc will also fade with time and UV exposure, RED being the most susceptible to fading with UV exposure.
So even if the SAME batch of paint from Germany was used, it will still appear different than the rest of body if sprayed on several years later

2. Substrate - Rest of car body is metal. Bumper is PU (thermoplastic). The visual of colour is also dependent on the substrate (Base) that it is printed on and being of different material, the final effect will appear different. Thats why most makers would first spray a white Base coat on all surfaces prior to the actual colour. It helps to lessen the differences.

Metallic colours (esp with pearl effect) are one of the more difficult colours to re-create. The reason is because the metallic powder (or mica pearl flakes) will vary in sizes from different sources and/or different batches.
Different size/origin/% of powder will reflect light very differently and this is probably whats catching our eyes in noticing differences in colour tones between the new and the old.

Sorry for the lengthy post/explanation but short of spraying the whole car, I'm afraid the other option is to lower your expectation as a perfect match in this situation is not an easy task for any workshop .

It would be too tedious to remove the existing paint. The labour probably will cost the same as a new raw bumper.

Colours, regardless car paint, wall paint, printing on brochures, newspaper etc will also fade with time and UV exposure, RED being the most susceptible to fading with UV exposure.
So even if the SAME batch of paint from Germany was used, it will still appear different than the rest of body if sprayed on several years later

2. Substrate - Rest of car body is metal. Bumper is PU (thermoplastic). The visual of colour is also dependent on the substrate (Base) that it is printed on and being of different material, the final effect will appear different. Thats why most makers would first spray a white Base coat on all surfaces prior to the actual colour. It helps to lessen the differences.

Metallic colours (esp with pearl effect) are one of the more difficult colours to re-create. The reason is because the metallic powder (or mica pearl flakes) will vary in sizes from different sources and/or different batches.
Different size/origin/% of powder will reflect light very differently and this is probably whats catching our eyes in noticing differences in colour tones between the new and the old.

Sorry for the lengthy post/explanation but short of spraying the whole car, I'm afraid the other option is to lower your expectation as a perfect match in this situation is not an easy task for any workshop .

truly appreciative of your sharing, especially from someone whose job is also related to colours.

in the last 3 days, I also did a lot of research online and saw similar explanations of paint behaviour.

even national level body repair organisations also emphasised that some colour differences are to be expected.

I also read that white, red and silver are some of the more difficult colours to match.

and you rightly pointed out that metallic colours also pose a huge challenge. Mine is metallic too.

the contacts I spoke too so far advised me to just leave it. They think that the discrepancy is within reasonable level. But my eyes are just too sharp to magnify the difference.

I went back to that workshop again for them to polish off 2 imperfections. They did offer to respray the left side of the bumper to make it appear more blended with the left fender. The right side looks ok though.

but I am concerned that if they do it without stripping the original paint. Such a second-time job may not look as refined and could have durability issue too.

also, there is no guarantee that the respray will be much closer match than the current one.

taking into account the risks, I am now more persuaded that perhaps leaving it alone will be a better option.

by the way, the workshop told me that if it’s a brand new bumper, they will spray it separately before attaching it to the car body. But for existing bumper, they will spray without taking it off the body. Is this an industry practice? In my case, it’s a new bumper.

over time, the new bumper will also fade somewhat due to UV. So perhaps that will also make it look more blended with the adjoining panel.

by the way, what do you think of spraying half of the left fender to make the transition look more gradual?

I feel you. Went to a site sponsor for my bumper kit on my then 6 year old car. 0 attempts at paint matching. The silver on the new parts were ice cool while the existing parts, fenders etc were of a warmer tone.

By right there should be some form of paint blending so the contrast isn't so stark.

I ended up respraying the entire car cause it's something i couldn't unsee once i noticed it.

Edit: Resprayed elsewhere

I feel you. Went to a site sponsor for my bumper kit on my then 6 year old car. 0 attempts at paint matching. The silver on the new parts were ice cool while the existing parts, fenders etc were of a warmer tone.

By right there should be some form of paint blending so the contrast isn't so stark.

I ended up respraying the entire car cause it's something i couldn't unsee once i noticed it.

Edit: Resprayed elsewhere

Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear that.

Silver is indeed a difficult colour to match too. Mine is sophisto grey, which supposedly is harder to discern, except for the fact that it involves metallic flakes which Citizen69 correctly pointed out that is a challenge.

My ride is 7 years old, so just another 3 more year to go. Have not decided whether will renew COE, but potential repair and maintenance costs is one major consideration. Did you end up keeping your that car beyond 10 years? If not, I feel it's a bit of a waste since you have invested in the painting.

I read that paint blending can be quite tricky. If it involves spraying onto the adjacent panels, how much further should it go? If not done well, will it look even worse? My understanding is that always spray whole panels instead of partial.

My current situation can be said to be borderline. It's not something so bad that I will reject outright. Most people can't tell unless they stare at it and scrutinise closely. But I suppose a lot of BMW owners are more or less perfectionistic, hence the much higher expectations.

The workshop I went to seems to have brisk business. Saw quite a number of BMWs there to change to sports bumpers. Is your bumper kit aftermarket or original? Would there be a significant difference between these 2?

Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear that.

Silver is indeed a difficult colour to match too. Mine is sophisto grey, which supposedly is harder to discern, except for the fact that it involves metallic flakes which Citizen69 correctly pointed out that is a challenge.

My ride is 7 years old, so just another 3 more year to go. Have not decided whether will renew COE, but potential repair and maintenance costs is one major consideration. Did you end up keeping your that car beyond 10 years? If not, I feel it's a bit of a waste since you have invested in the painting.

I read that paint blending can be quite tricky. If it involves spraying onto the adjacent panels, how much further should it go? If not done well, will it look even worse? My understanding is that always spray whole panels instead of partial.

My current situation can be said to be borderline. It's not something so bad that I will reject outright. Most people can't tell unless they stare at it and scrutinise closely. But I suppose a lot of BMW owners are more or less perfectionistic, hence the much higher expectations.

The workshop I went to seems to have brisk business. Saw quite a number of BMWs there to change to sports bumpers. Is your bumper kit aftermarket or original? Would there be a significant difference between these 2?

I did end up renewing and did a major round of maintenance for about 4k. Annual depre is around 11k per year.

Blending is tricky. The issue I had was there was no form of expectation management. For 2.6k, having hugely contrasting bumpers/side skirts is unacceptable. I would’ve gladly paid more to get the panels blended and somewhat matched.

My bumper kit is after market. Fitment for original would definitely be better. Aftermarket would be maybe 90-95% if I were to put a number. I’m not an expert so I can’t advise the difference in terms of material but fitment is as above based on my experience.

If you plan on renewing then yeah must be worth considering making it “perfect” again. Otherwise it’s really not worth the trouble… just my 2c worth

I did end up renewing and did a major round of maintenance for about 4k. Annual depre is around 11k per year.

Blending is tricky. The issue I had was there was no form of expectation management. For 2.6k, having hugely contrasting bumpers/side skirts is unacceptable. I would’ve gladly paid more to get the panels blended and somewhat matched.

My bumper kit is after market. Fitment for original would definitely be better. Aftermarket would be maybe 90-95% if I were to put a number. I’m not an expert so I can’t advise the difference in terms of material but fitment is as above based on my experience.

If you plan on renewing then yeah must be worth considering making it “perfect” again. Otherwise it’s really not worth the trouble… just my 2c worth

one-off maintenance of $4K and annual depre of $11K are pretty reasonable.

yes, i agree that at 2.6K you should be expecting better standards. That amount may even be enough to paint whole car at some workshops.

for sports bumper, i think most people will just go for aftermarket since the price difference can be quite huge. but for me, fitment is a priority, luckily i am just keen on stock bumper.

i don't plan on renewing as cars above 10 years usually involve much more maintenance costs, even for Jap cars. in fact, i am now considering selling off the current one within a few months to save the trouble of making any more rectifications. call me illogical, but i just couldn't stand it any more.

by the way, what do you think of spraying half of the left fender to make the transition look more gradual?
You could try that, but what about the right fender? Would it bother you then?
Or how about the left door matching the left fender? There could be issues.

I would not recommend respraying too many times as it will darker the overall shade with every additional coat, unless maybe they add a white base coat first and then respraying again.

you could go with what you suggested earlier on keeping it and crossing your fingers that over time the colours will eventually match.

You are such a perfectionist. If my car is more than 5 years old, I wouldnt even bother to get it washed regularly! :D:D

one-off maintenance of $4K and annual depre of $11K are pretty reasonable.

yes, i agree that at 2.6K you should be expecting better standards. That amount may even be enough to paint whole car at some workshops.

for sports bumper, i think most people will just go for aftermarket since the price difference can be quite huge. but for me, fitment is a priority, luckily i am just keen on stock bumper.

i don't plan on renewing as cars above 10 years usually involve much more maintenance costs, even for Jap cars. in fact, i am now considering selling off the current one within a few months to save the trouble of making any more rectifications. call me illogical, but i just couldn't stand it any more.

Haha then no point trying to rectify the issue. Just make sure to only approach your car from the right side :D

You could try that, but what about the right fender? Would it bother you then?
Or how about the left door matching the left fender? There could be issues.

I would not recommend respraying too many times as it will darker the overall shade with every additional coat, unless maybe they add a white base coat first and then respraying again.

you could go with what you suggested earlier on keeping it and crossing your fingers that over time the colours will eventually match.

You are such a perfectionist. If my car is more than 5 years old, I wouldnt even bother to get it washed regularly! :D:D

haha, I admit that I am pretty anal about certain things.

again, what you said is probably correct, respraying may make it even darker shade and then there will be no end to it.

to minimise risk, I guess I may just accept the slight shade difference and move on.

every car of mine, I took good care of it until its last day with me.

in the last few days, I have internally digested it quite a bit.

Haha then no point trying to rectify the issue. Just make sure to only approach your car from the right side :D

haha, yes, luckily driver side is on the right.

but you know what, I do circle around to the left after alighting to look at it…hopefully this habit will stop soon.

haha, I admit that I am pretty anal about certain things.

again, what you said is probably correct, respraying may make it even darker shade and then there will be no end to it.

to minimise risk, I guess I may just accept the slight shade difference and move on.

every car of mine, I took good care of it until its last day with me.

in the last few days, I have internally digested it quite a bit.
:lol::lol: make sure you post here whether any takers for your car when you decide to sell!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500aeesite

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back