Changing Color Affect Car Value?

watcher

Thinking of changing the color of my E60 from Orient Blue to Black... but heard that will have problems in future when I want to sell... apparently will cause the car value to be 2-4k lower than similar cars with original color.

Anyone has any opinion or experience on this?

Re: Changing Color Affect Car Value?

I do not think the colour will affect the selling price...but the dents and scratches yes...

change color = suspected accident.

Most dealers will offer less as bargaining chip.

dun think so unless the new paint job looks crappy.
like what shirlene said, it boils down to the condition of the paintwork.
but then again if your ride is some special customised expensive color code, maybe u can sell your ride for a higher price but i think orient blue is pretty normal color for stock car

Orient Blue to Black....bit too close in terms of darkness
Pointless I think

OB is a v nice color IMO

That's wat i was told but i can't really understand it coz if my car has had an accident, the last thing i want would be to respray it to another color and attract questions right?

watcher;257240 said:
That's wat i was told but i can't really understand it coz if my car has had an accident, the last thing i want would be to respray it to another color and attract questions right?
as mentioned, the dealer uses it as a bargaining chip. if he wants to know whether got accident or not, VERY easy, they just take some calipers and measure for chassis damage.

I agree with caySman as it happen to me. When I sold my ride, the dealer just told me colour was changed so $X lesser. Changing colour is nothing serious, but just give those guys additional bargining chip to press your price down

clever dealers.....push your price down by $X and then when they sell the car to new buyer.....they will tell them comes with new paintjob....haha

confirm dealers will offer u $2k less if u change colour..u can either stick to yr price or export the car yrself...exporters wont really care abt the colour+mileage..they'll do magic tricks.

In reality, some of the sport/luxe models (from my reading) :

Pre 2004 Mercedes Benz - HORRIBLE orange peel issues, a new paint job will DEFINITELY improve the situation.

Post 2004 Mercedes Benz - factory uses a new nanotech paint which is inpenetrable by most corrosive agents and scratch resistant. The process cannot be replicated in aftermarket. Therefore, paint change actually is worse than factory paint.

Lexus: factory uses a new nanotech paint which is inpenetrable by most corrosive agents and scratch resistant. The process cannot be replicated in aftermarket. Therefore, paint change actually is worse than factory paint.

BMW: save cars from Leipzig which has upgraded paint facility specially to spray all those plastic front fenders properly, most BMW's have too fast a baking process, therefore resulting in orange peel issues. A new paint job would be smoother than the original factory paint.

Porsche: 2 locations, Zuffenhausen and Finland. Finland seems to have ultra upgraded paint equipment while Zuffenhausen stays with the older version (though I never notice any difference). Though both do not have orange peel issues because of extended baking process, a good new paint job will almost be as good as the original.

thinking of changing the color of my ride. now i am getting nervous...

yep, can confirm this. my friend just sold her bmw 3er for export through a dealer. It was resprayed from silver to black by the original owner, and she didn't even know about it when she bought it 2nd hand. Dealer has now offered her 2k less after inspection.

You can find out a bmw's original colour just from the VIN code, so it doesn't matter how good the respray is.... and i reckon a lot of them will use this to get 2k off you (though they won't tell the new owner of course).

yup... caySman, you're talking abt the new ceramic-based paint on the merc. It debuted on the S class back then, and it's a techno marvel! Swirl-resistant paint. wished all luxury marques have it by now.

i also wanna spray man.
will there be a dealer that will forgo that $2k bargaining chip??

btw how much is a full spray?

four4s;257475 said:
You can find out a bmw's original colour just from the VIN code

Just wondering - how? Is there a website that allows this?

If the 2k off is just a bargaining chip, I think we will be able to find out using SGCARMART's latest Quotz service.

I just sold my wife's 2 yr old altis using this service. It was excellent. For 20 bucks, they will do a thorough assesment of your car and conduct an online auction for it.

The auction happens daily and from 2 to 5pm, all the dealers (about 150 of them) will log in to the Quotz Auction website and bid for the cars there.

I managed to sell the car on the same day for much higher than what some dealers quoted me when I called to enquire.

As the auction is real time and all the dealers are logged in and can see the highest bidding price at any time, this should quickly surface dealers who are willing to pay for the car regardless of color change.

colour change should be about 1.6~2.2k depending on colour/shop/portions to respray.

i heard that once the car spray before STA evaluation report immediately B.. cannot get A already.

probably tt's why dealers will try and bargain down lor.

Another way of looking at this is to determine/estimate the time of parting the ride from time zero. In other words, if you plan to drive the car for another 4 years, for instance, than $2K lower selling price is no biggie relative to the fresh paint (not to mention the "new car" feel). At most, it is to be viewed as an accelerated depre of additional $500 per year.

Plus, if the original paintwork is badly maintained, the $2K might never have existed in the first place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamewin79win

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back