Comparison Test Between Air Filters

Tanzy

Legendary 10 Years
Cool! Saw the Japanese version a long time ago but could make out much of it.

Was using the blitz filter during my E46 320i days. This filter does gives the extra HP at mid to high end. We(Alan, Shawn and Sam) did a test too using the scan tool tat plugs into the ECU.

Reading real time values from a Palm while driving and blitz gave the higher air flow and cooling down air temp compared to GruppM and stock filters.

Yes, the only set back is tat it doesnt filter much and true enuf one day (after using for about a year) my E46 stall intermitently. My MAF kaput! Tats not all, dismantle my idle valve and throttle body and found so much dirt.

For those using blitz (Sam and Gordon), suggest you do a half yearly cleaning of the MAF, idle valve, throttle body and air manifold. I know its a chore but end of the day its some saving you gain from hefty replacement parts and petrol consumption as efficiency improves as well.

Actually, Im still using the blitz on my evo. Initially tried the Apexi but high end suffers. Then tried the K&N, better but still finds the high end not so eager. Finally settle with blitz, mid to high is superb!

One experience is that the K&N has better low to mid torque as compared to blitz. This can be verified from my boost meter.

With K&N, my boost spike to 1.7bar in a flash but with the blitz, it only spike to 1.5bar.

I still swear by blitz for now.

Cheers!

Whisky_Tango said:
Was using the blitz filter during my E46 320i days. This filter does gives the extra HP at mid to high end. We(Alan, Shawn and Sam) did a test too using the scan tool tat plugs into the ECU.

Reading real time values from a Palm while driving and blitz gave the higher air flow and cooling down air temp compared to GruppM and stock filters.

Yes, the only set back is tat it doesnt filter much and true enuf one day (after using for about a year) my E46 stall intermitently. My MAF kaput! Tats not all, dismantle my idle valve and throttle body and found so much dirt.

For those using blitz (Sam and Gordon), suggest you do a half yearly cleaning of the MAF, idle valve, throttle body and air manifold. I know its a chore but end of the day its some saving you gain from hefty replacement parts and petrol consumption as efficiency improves as well.
Actually, Im still using the blitz on my evo. Initially tried the Apexi but high end suffers. Then tried the K&N, better but still finds the high end not so eager. Finally settle with blitz, mid to high is superb!
One experience is that the K&N has better low to mid torque as compared to blitz. This can be verified from my boost meter.

With K&N, my boost spike to 1.7bar in a flash but with the blitz, it only spike to 1.5bar.
I still swear by blitz for now.
Cheers!

Good stuff and review bro
Ever seen this? It's so hyped up in the US M3 forum...claim is bout 8.9hp dyoned...amazing and it's so cheap

This a E46 M3? It has the cutoff at 6000+ rpm, so if it can go to red line the gains will be more.

TripleM said:
Ever seen this? It's so hyped up in the US M3 forum...claim is bout 8.9hp dyoned...amazing and it's so cheap

Thanks for sharing bro! :thumbsup:
8.9hp is alot of gain just from a filter mod. But of course the bigger the engine displacement or a super/turbo-charged engine will benefit most of it.

Like in the link, they use a supra (300 to 400hp??) and got 13 to 14hp. Tats alot man...

Do you know which filter is on Des M3?

Tanzy said:
This a E46 M3? It has the cutoff at 6000+ rpm, so if it can go to red line the gains will be more.

Yep for E46M3...
Sure to gain more if went all the way to 7.5-7.9RPM which is where the power starts to peak...
Anyway, dyno on M3 can only be done properly if one knows the steps to remove the DSC and a few other things or else it will just get cut off at 6k rpm...Been there done that..

Whisky_Tango said:
TripleM said:

Thanks for sharing bro! :thumbsup:
8.9hp is alot of gain just from a filter mod. But of course the bigger the engine displacement or a super/turbo-charged engine will benefit most of it.

Like in the link, they use a supra (300 to 400hp??) and got 13 to 14hp. Tats alot man...

Do you know which filter is on Des M3?

The standar kit comes with K&N airfilter unless he changed to something else.

an absent-minded professor

bump!!hahaNo doubt about it, my fellow monk, Father Martin, was a bit of an absent-minded professor. He often filled in for sick priests at other parishes, and one Saturday he found himself on a train to a new destination, frantically searching his pockets for his ticket. "Forget about it, Father," said the conductor, recognizing him as a regular. "I'm sure you paid for a ticket." "I can't forget about the ticket," Father Martin replied nervously. "I need to know where I'm going." --------------dvd copy,--------dvd ripper, ------------------dvd to ipod,----------------dvd ripper,-------------------dvd software,-----------

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back