Conversion of e39 steering

bmw7833

So far i know this 5 type of steering are fit in e39.

TYPE 1.
mine.jpg

TYPE 2.
mineyes.jpg

TYPE 3.
bigno.jpg

TYPE 4.
bigyes.jpg

TYPE 5.
small2.jpg

small.jpg

My current steering is type 1. Let's don't care the function on the steering, i would like to know can i convert my current steering to the steering type 5? Which part i need to change? Thanks.

Re: Conversion of e39 steering

i think its possible . u have to get both the steering wheel and the airbag.

Hi Bro,

got to check with gabey bro man...............his has done it......

Gabey w r u?

cheers

ac323;455064 said:
Hi Bro,

got to check with gabey bro man...............his has done it......

Gabey w r u?

cheers

I just PM Gabey regarding this, wish to get his reply soon, thanks.

It's plug and play. All the functions on the steering wheel are still retained if you have it originally. A more interesting mod to the steering wheel is to buy a M3 steering wheel with paddle shifters. There are some electronic components you need to buy. The inventor is Vince but his website is no longer active but here's a link to a write-up on the mod. Have fun.

E46 Fanatics: 3-Series, BMW Forums, BMW Modifications, E46 BMW

gabey;455214 said:
It's plug and play. All the functions on the steering wheel are still retained if you have it originally. A more interesting mod to the steering wheel is to buy a M3 steering wheel with paddle shifters. There are some electronic components you need to buy. The inventor is Vince but his website is no longer active but here's a link to a write-up on the mod. Have fun.

E46 Fanatics: 3-Series, BMW Forums, BMW Modifications, E46 BMW

Thanks bro! :yummie:

Can the facelift steering [type 5] fit into the prefacelift car [currently type 1]?

Some say yes, some say no??

u can try to search Welcome to BMW Tips www.BMWTips.com its alot of e39 info. Theres a few writeup on steering wheels. I would just try to get my hands on a buddy's car with the type5 wheel and drive to a workshup to see if it fits . ie can be swapped.

read this ...
new steering wheel - Page 5 - Xoutpost.com
from an x5, the guy changed from type 2 to type 5 without problems. since yours is type 1 (no buttons) i guess the buttons will not work. but airbag should work.

warning tho, the airbag is expensive. most people will be put off by this mod due to having to buy the airbag.

bmw7833;456171 said:
Can the facelift steering [type 5] fit into the prefacelift car [currently type 1]?

Some say yes, some say no??

If yours is the pre-facelift E39, the steering wheel will fit but you will not be able to use the function button. The air bag should still work. Better you check first before buying all the stuff. Like Bugaboo said, the steering wheel is cheap but the air bag is very expensive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
algorizmacom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back