Dash cam: 24hrs/full parking mode possible?

rt4ouredz

Hi all lanjiao...
recently got myself lukas camera and their so called spare battery, UPS.
Parking mode only 2 hours. ... Any idea how to have longer parking mode or 24hrs on? Bigger capacity of battery?

Re: Dash cam: 24hrs/full parking mode possible?

rt4ouredz;1121497 said:
Hi all lanjiao...
recently got myself lukas camera and their so called spare battery, UPS.
Parking mode only 2 hours. ... Any idea how to have longer parking mode or 24hrs on? Bigger capacity of battery?

why u call us lanjiao?

Yr kkj longer maybe?
At least join bmwsg forum earlier than me. When was driving e90, you are already around., lanjiao!

rt4ouredz;1121500 said:
Yr kkj longer maybe?
At least join bmwsg forum earlier than me. When was driving e90, you are already around., lanjiao!

You mean LAO jiao?

I am neither a lan jiao or a lao jiao, but to answer you question, you can try cellink B, its a high capacity UPS for dash cam. I'm using it together with my blackvue 650.

Alternatively, you can wire it directly to your car battery if your car is no longer under warranty.

Was told of directly connect to battery, there will be error and maybe cannot open door. Any review or feedback?

rt4ouredz;1121506 said:
Was told of directly connect to battery, there will be error and maybe cannot open door. Any review or feedback?
Some avoided this problem with a separate rechargeable battery pack used inly for the dashcam. Quite effective, no error messages.

(Sorry, just realised the subject of ups was already discussed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Where to get such power pack?
Same as those mobile phone power bank?

LimPeh;1121525 said:
Some avoided this problem with a separate rechargeable battery pack used inly for the dashcam. Quite effective, no error messages.

(Sorry, just realised the subject of ups was already discussed)

Can those mobile phone power bank work to power the dashcam throughout?

Ah yang;1123248 said:
U can try audio solution at ubi area...

think a bro who organized the gb for thinkware mentioned that it comes with a cable to allow 24hrs parking and prevention of battery drain unlike the older cams?

Like to share with my experience on installing dashcam for my f30 and implemented park motion recording without additional battery....

Here how it goes:

Have always wanted to install a dual-ch cam for my F30 so I went to shop for the cameras at Sitex. At first I was looking at the blackvue models but was told by the installer that BMW cannot install MagicPower Pro which I do not know why. I was doubtful at first so I called up the other authorized dealers for Blackvue and was informed of the same thing - BMW can't install Power Magic Pro. So it means that if I am unable to install power magic pro, I will run the risk of depleting the car battery and may encounter failure to engine starting if I opt for parking mode recording...

At Sitex, I came around other brands of camera that came with "Power Magic Pro" built in, ie the camera will auto shut down if the battery drop below a certain voltage. So I bought one of these cameras instead of Blackvue.

I went to do the installation on the following Monday instead of doing it at the Sitex show. The mechanics linked the cameras to my fusebox directly. After the installation, I went home and realised that the camera shut down within 10 minutes after I stopped my engine and locked my car.

Did some research online and found that BMW will shut down the power to the most of the fuse-slots within fusebox after approximate 10-30minutes after you shut down the engine. Only a few of the slots will have CONTINUOUS POWER SUPPLY after the engine is off. One of the fuse slot was fuse-slot 161 which I found out from a youtube video and so I decided to go back to the workshop on Wednesday to fix the problem.

I went back to the workshop and was told by the mechanic that I will need to install a external power pack in this case since the power will be cut off after the engine stopped. Luckily he was a helpful and patient mechanic and I explained to him that BMW will cut the power to most of the fuse once the engine stopped and one of the fuse slots that provide continuous power supply was fuse slot 161. I even showed him the video that I found on Youtube. He was convinced after watching the video but was reluctant to wired the camera to fuse slot 161 as there was already an existing fuse in that slot. So eventually he helped me to do a trial and error on those empty fuse slots and manage to find one with continuous power.

After changing the slot, the camera did not power off after I locked my car. I drove home on 2 Dec 11pm and to my surprise, the camera is still working at 3pm the next day on 3 Dec.(15hrs of recording). I tried to start my engine and it started without problem or warning sign of battery depleting. At the same time I changed my dashcam to shut down if the battery drop below 12.3V instead of 12V. At the time of writing this message, the camera is still working. (almost 25hrs of recording with parking mode motion detection with only engine on for a few minutes)....

Will continue to monitor if there's any problem. Just wanna share that it is possible to do parking mode without an extra battery but I must clarify that you will be doing at your own risk as it may shorten the life of the car battery, or void the warranty and I would not take any responsibility :D heheee

View attachment 72374
Fuse box - Camera supply circled in blue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79boston
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back