dash meters and gauges

LanNix

i have seen people install lots of gauges on their dashboard, things like oil temperature, boost/turbo, voltage.. etc

most of them are pretty straightforward, but i would like to ask what actually does the turbo and voltage sensor tell you? for turbo is it the amount of air drawn into the engine? voltage tell you how much is discharged by the battery?

thanks

Re: dash meters and gauges

ok, if im not wrong...

BOOST
The gauge shows the amt of pressure/air (PSI/BAR) being dran frm a turbo inlet that pushes air into the engine.. you only need the gauge when u have a FI application. If youre NA, then nothing will be shown on ur boost gauge.

VOLTAGE
This gauge shows how much voltage ur car is drawing out, i.e radio,aircon,lights... all these uses power frm the batt.. draws power frm the car...

Hope this helps i guess.. not so much of an expert but i hope this helps u understand abit of each application.

Shaaz. :)

i've never quite understood the purpose of the voltage sensor though. we get it as stock with the 350Z and i've never had a use for it, even on track.

shaaz said:
ok, if im not wrong...

BOOST
The gauge shows the amt of pressure/air (PSI/BAR) being dran frm a turbo inlet that pushes air into the engine.. you only need the gauge when u have a FI application. If youre NA, then nothing will be shown on ur boost gauge.

VOLTAGE
This gauge shows how much voltage ur car is drawing out, i.e radio,aircon,lights... all these uses power frm the batt.. draws power frm the car...

Hope this helps i guess.. not so much of an expert but i hope this helps u understand abit of each application.

Shaaz. :)

ic, nope.. no fi. so i guess it wun apply 4 me, n if thats all the voltage sensor does den i think i can live w/o them. the gauges i saw @ mcwell yesterday cost $300+, abit hard to part if they do nt show anything useful

hum, sorry to bother but what other gauges may be usefull or provides decent information 2 the driver?

Oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature and AFR should be useful for any driver.

Oil pressure gauge tells you whether your engine is maintaining healthy across the rev range. Low pressure means leaking engine and not enough lubrication which means sooner or later must spend mucho $$$ if you do nothing about it.

Oil temperature tells you the condition of your oil. Too high temperature = oil additives and minerals being depleted = less protection for your engine. Too low temperature = oil not operating at optimakl temperature = less protection for your engine.

Water tempertature info is pretty obvious. Added advantage over the stock water temp gauge that comes with your car is it is precise and tells you exact values.

AFR (air-fuel ratio) tells you if your engine is running rich or lean or optimal. Important if your car is highly tuned.

If your car is stock and you don't go tracking, then it's really just eye candy as they are not really necessary. Otherwise, it would make sense to install gauges.

ic, ok.. i think i should gt the afr guage.

hum, may you advice me.. is changing to k&n filters n a larger exhaust b considered "highly tuned"? cos i was thinking, these 2 mods bring more air in (and out).. since my injector is stock i was worried of running it running lean.. =(

The only use I can think of the voltage sensor is to check if your battery is in good working condition or to check if your alternator is charging the battery.

bmwF1 said:
The only use I can think of the voltage sensor is to check if your battery is in good working condition or to check if your alternator is charging the battery.

so i guess its good for those who have an electric supercharger!! hur hur hur

Cheap AFR meters that read off the stock lambda sensor isn't much use; that is a narrow band sensor that the ECU uses when running in closed feedback loop.

The good AFRs come with a dedicated wide-band sensor, an eg. would be Tomei.

Change of air filter/exhaust are not considered highly tuned.

Highly tuned in general means: changes/modifications made to the following - camshaft profiles, pistons, valves, valve springs, cylinder block liners, turbo/super chargers, ECU/DME reprofile, dry sump conversion, massive fuel pump, etc. etc.

LanNix said:
ic, ok.. i think i should gt the afr guage.

hum, may you advice me.. is changing to k&n filters n a larger exhaust b considered "highly tuned"? cos i was thinking, these 2 mods bring more air in (and out).. since my injector is stock i was worried of running it running lean.. =(

The volt meter will tell you the condition of your electrical system. With the ignition on (engine not running) the meter should read about 12.4V. During the cranking phase, about 10.5-11V. When the engine starts and for about 30sec or so, 14.5V thereafter when the car runs around throughout the journey, about 13.6-14.2V. Any lower values at each of these stages will indicate a number of problems, namely:
1. Battery loosing storage capacity
2. Alternator not charging
3. Poor electrical conductivity, i.e. grounding.

Highly tuned cars are cars that have vastly altered specifications. Exhaust and intake work are not classified as highly modded. Lightly modded maybe closer.

Cheers

wao, thanks for all the advice.. ecu tuning will not be done anytime soon as it voids the warrenty. when its over then i will go 4 it.

shall save up for the ecu tuning and a gd quality afr guage.. =)

unless you have big things coming up for ur car, i say do without the gauges..

if u need gauges, the three most impt ones will be Fuel Pressure, Water Temp and Oil pres. if ur FI then Boost also .

agree with shaaz.

don't kid yourself, a car with filter and simple exhaust work is essentially stock... and therefore you already have all the gauges you need:

fuel gauge, speedo and tacho

and if you do go for an ecu tuning, you wouldn't need the afr gauge if the tuning was done right to begin with.

yup yup, with the ECU tuning , main impt part will be tuning the AFR .if that is done properly i dun see the part where you'll need the AFR to monitor .. even if ur lean.. it's not like u can actually correct it there and then. like i sed unless u wanna be the super super carfeul one when u have alot under the bonnet and as long u see lean on ur AFR gauge, ur not driving it till u get it re-tuned again.

I'm pretty sure you can spend ur money somewhere else where there will be a diff. Rims?, bodykits?, rear muffler box?, suspension?, sway bars?, ICE?, Tyres?.. these are the few things where i think will make more of a diff.

Update us on ur ride eh dude.. would love to see one in the making. :D

agree with shaaz, is best do w/o gauges if NA. most of time is for the "fierce" interior look, if with defi gauges (expensive) i rather spend the money on ICE hahahaha

ic, yeh.. u were right iScoupe. the "fierce interior" did tickle my nerves but i think i should head all the advice of every1 that has posted.

i'm gonna OT for a while..

my idea is to make my ride seem as stock as possible yet tune it to it's best performance without compromizing too much on reliability. i know my ride has its limits (you pay for what you get) but i believe many of you here share the same enthusiast in modding your own car. to me, handling over power then appearence.. sad thing is this hobby is rather expensive and i am trying to make ends meet already. but after it is done, i'm sure i can look back and smile that this is the fruit of my labour.. and with many advices from fellow enthusiasts

hence i respect and will seriously consider all your advices before i put anything i am not sure in2 my ride.

end of OT.. =)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cakhiatvcoffee

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back