Dataface returns to S2000 roots...

Shaun

Trusted Sponsor
..and tries to become driverface for a day. Watch it in HD and spot all this nerd's driving errors in greatest clarity.

Open trackday, friends' car, first time driving it. Engine is stock AP1 engine waiting to blow up at 120,000 km, 1 way dampers, Federal semis -all will be upgraded soon.
Earlier that morning the rear tires had blown up on warmup laps, so older replacements were picked up by the mechanics. The final car as driven had 2 trackday and 50 lap older tires in the rear, leaving the 1 trackday old 25 lap tires in the front which made for interesting balance.

The blue Cayman S is a Malaysian client who months ago hopped on the program with a F430, but later got the Cayman S as well, on my recommendation for a cheaper more reliable trackcar that is still daily drivable. Shame about the oil ingestion. Was looking forward to running lead-follow with him on track in 2 separate cars as everything so far had been in car with intercom and video, followed by data.

[video=youtube;xss3AaVhLRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xss3AaVhLRw&list=UUZGvFFkeDDNIq4KjVZt15Aw&index=0&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dataface returns to S2000 roots...

you didnt show us the end of your lap so we could check out your time!!!

Kuvesh, video doesn't show quickest lap, just the least boring stretch... besides.. you know my times are always embarrassing mate :D

Barry, it's running a numerically higher final drive for shorter gearing :)

Shaun;668298 said:
Kuvesh, video doesn't show quickest lap, just the least boring stretch... besides.. you know my times are always embarrassing mate :D

Barry, it's running a numerically higher final drive for shorter gearing :)

Nice!! Now you make me miss the S2000! Just couldn't bring my arse to the track then and kinda regret it now.....

rex7_vtec;668376 said:
Nice!! Now you make me miss the S2000! Just couldn't bring my arse to the track then and kinda regret it now.....

In the future, don't regret not tracking your m3. Now is the time! :D

nice!

the F.D is perfectly calculated to end both main straights on 5th gear at the 100 marker.. which is where the S2K shld be braking..
And looking at your video, car is handling pretty perfect for most corners...and with a roll cage and DASH, ain't a road car?
Is this KC's car? :OTpolis:

Shaun;668298 said:

Embarrassing for other people, probably, haha! I am interested in what your lap time is. PM me...

Good show. Very smooth. S2K takes a lot more skill to drive than a 4WD bruiser like my Evo. I've never had to catch the rear like you had to a couple of times in the video. I probably won't be able to do it.

KiddyM2;668395 said:
nice!

the F.D is perfectly calculated to end both main straights on 5th gear at the 100 marker.. which is where the S2K shld be braking..
And looking at your video, car is handling pretty perfect for most corners...and with a roll cage and DASH, ain't a road car?
Is this KC's car? :OTpolis:

Hi Adam, yah Ean and Mark's trackcar run by Chester :).. lovely simplicity. Had it to myself for a whole day, back to back sessions.. bliss. And it just so happened that one of the sessions was organized by "anything goes" group.. so was fun..will try to upload some other cheeky monkey moments.

When I drove, felt there was a little entry push, mid to exit loose, especially with the slightest bit of gas. Not sure if it's the diff, dampers, springs and dampers, tires, not enough data sadly. Wish I had the data system package of some of my other projects, on their car. Also, the car went going through so many changes within even the same weekend and still hasn't settled yet - tire age, age stagger, bars, gearing, and now engine, dampers etc. And there's very little data, but 4 drivers feeling it out. Mark with his drifter car control prefers a much looser everywhere especially entry... so the roll stiffness balance is going that direction.

One thing all the drivers agree on is that overall the car is too soft at least in roll. Really rolls in sweepers and the transitions switching over from T5 to 6, 12 to 13, feel slightly slow.

We'll see how it goes...helping them where/when they want it. Solid bunch of guys. Trying to convince them to go quantified route and get a proper data system and sensor array.

jwwu;668396 said:
Embarrassing for other people, probably, haha! I am interested in what your lap time is. PM me...

No need to PM... it's 1:33... in the dark... in the pouring rain :D

Good show. Very smooth. S2K takes a lot more skill to drive than a 4WD bruiser like my Evo. I've never had to catch the rear like you had to a couple of times in the video. I probably won't be able to do it.
Thanks Mr. 2:30, but anything can be picked up with a bit of time and focus mate. I've never seen anyone with interest, resource, focus, practice, ever plateau. There's no magic, no secret.. there are no gods.

Mockngbrd;668399 said:
teach me to drive

Louis, in the initial 6 months, you can teach yourself a whole lot if you could make it to the trackdays instead of dropping out :) Try catch the next one yah? You'll develop much deeper appreciation for your sporty E36 and be safer on the roads, etc.

The exhaust note is sweet mate. Straight through? The roll cage looks like a bolt-on, but the car seemed very stiff. Is the chassis welded? The gear ratio also seem very similar to the AP2, but slightly different. Is it just a AP1 gearbox with a changed FD? Or has the individual gearing been changed too? The 3rd gear was almost perfect for T11. Suspect some weight reduction done to the car as well.. hehe.. Nice driving there Shaun!

Shaun;668467 said:
Hi Adam, yah Ean and Mark's trackcar run by Chester :).. lovely simplicity. Had it to myself for a whole day, back to back sessions.. bliss. And it just so happened that one of the sessions was organized by "anything goes" group.. so was fun..will try to upload some other cheeky monkey moments.

When I drove, felt there was a little entry push, mid to exit loose, especially with the slightest bit of gas. Not sure if it's the diff, dampers, springs and dampers, tires, not enough data sadly. Wish I had the data system package of some of my other projects, on their car. Also, the car went going through so many changes within even the same weekend and still hasn't settled yet - tire age, age stagger, bars, gearing, and now engine, dampers etc. And there's very little data, but 4 drivers feeling it out. Mark with his drifter car control prefers a much looser everywhere especially entry... so the roll stiffness balance is going that direction.

One thing all the drivers agree on is that overall the car is too soft at least in roll. Really rolls in sweepers and the transitions switching over from T5 to 6, 12 to 13, feel slightly slow.

We'll see how it goes...helping them where/when they want it. Solid bunch of guys. Trying to convince them to go quantified route and get a proper data system and sensor array.

haha.. sounds damn fun man! :woowooo:

looking at the video again, there's more work to be done on turn 5 & 6, whereby you are going in quite slow, and i can feel that the car will over if you add more gas to it... also turn 12 as well.. mostly the high speed corners, where you ain't carrying that much speed, to gain time..
do you know their alignment settings?
Tracy's S2K was alot tighter, and very neutral to drive (try Gerald's car the next time u guys are on the same track day, i set that car up pretty much the same as Tracy's), i believe KC should work towards this.. tell Mark, if he wants the car to go faster, cannot sway already.. hahaha..

If I am not wrong, basing on the use of Federal semis, in this video, you should be hitting a timing of 2.32-2.34 region, judging from your gear changes and revs...

MachoMan;668488 said:
The exhaust note is sweet mate. Straight through? The roll cage looks like a bolt-on, but the car seemed very stiff. Is the chassis welded? The gear ratio also seem very similar to the AP2, but slightly different. Is it just a AP1 gearbox with a changed FD? Or has the individual gearing been changed too? The 3rd gear was almost perfect for T11. Suspect some weight reduction done to the car as well.. hehe.. Nice driving there Shaun!

Yup mate...straight through.. after a while hurts the ears even through the helmet.. need earplugs or in-ear heaphones to block it.

Believe the cage is welded on and yes the chassis was welded and lightened :D

Gbox is AP1 with final drive only, can't remember the number. The gears themselves are stock AP1.

KiddyM2;668615 said:
haha.. sounds damn fun man! :woowooo:

looking at the video again, there's more work to be done on turn 5 & 6, whereby you are going in quite slow, and i can feel that the car will over if you add more gas to it... also turn 12 as well.. mostly the high speed corners, where you ain't carrying that much speed, to gain time..
do you know their alignment settings?

Yeah man :( tried over many laps to carry more speed but it seems the car won't do it in that state. As a good drifter Mark has really good car control and guts, plus he tries hard too, but the basic data we have shows almost no difference in those sweepers between drivers.

The alignment settings I do not know in detail, but visually I can confirm that it is conservative nowhere near the big camber as seen on Jyoji's old car, or Gerald's current car (your old baby hehe). Spring rates are conservative too. The car hasn't been corner weighted because it's been in Malaysia from early on. Limited track time and manpower means damper sweeps, temperature probes have not been done (at least the few trackdays I've been around where I've seen it run or run it myself). Lots of the logistical obstacles, group decisions mechanical challenges that mess up fine tuning. Usual case dealing with a smaller budgets.. you know the drill lah hehah.

There are significant changes coming in multiple areas, so we'll see what happens. I really like these guys and hope they get to their targets.. I'll try to help them as much as possible as long as I'm welcome. Chester has really pure passion for what he does and many solid concepts... can't say that for most of the big name garages locally.

Looking forward to some euro projects with other individuals / garages coming soon that should have bigger budgets and where I have much more or full control. 2012 should be a good year..hope the economy holds lol

Tracy's S2K was alot tighter, and very neutral to drive (try Gerald's car the next time u guys are on the same track day, i set that car up pretty much the same as Tracy's), i believe KC should work towards this..
Thanks for the advice! Gerald and I did talk about trading cars for 5 laps since he's never driven a bone stock road s2k, and I've never driven a hot setup nearly-trackcar-but-road-registered s2k (quantums leh!!). I've seen Gerald's videos and indeed the car looks very neutral. I would love to try it out lol. Back to backs are great.. always interested in them to see where I stand relative to all you big name endurance racers :)

Ok I will go and tell him it has to happen now cos car's ex-owner suggested it :D

Your estimation is good and close :D Best actual lap, best rolling lap, best theoretical without traffic, etc.

aiyoh Shaun.. am no big Endurance racers.. in fact, endurance racers are mostly amateurs.. :thumbsup:
I view myself as someone that love motorsports too much perhaps.. haha.. but i will never be as good as the PROs, or even come close to their level, having raced in Japan, Dubai, and coming UK.. I mean, come on, most old SG racers, got their first taste of motorsports at the KALLANG Stadium carparks!! hahaha.. the Falken rally, the HAVOLINE rally, etc.. what kind of skills can we get?? :shakemyb:

Great to see that you are helpin them to get more data inputs, perhaps improve their car setup, and also the drivers linings.

Yes, you should snatch Gerald's car over, and show him how it's done! hahahah..

some drivers have never gone wheel to wheel in cars :( only karts.. you know karts..those toys... toyracers... nerds and datafaces.......and even in those toys, still suck :(

haii... one day...... *dreams* lol

haha my car is sick...now in workshop...lets wait for it to recover first...but then again...someone interested in buying it over..hahaha

nice driving shaun! post the exciting stuff man! can't wait to see how you translate your theories into action =)

thanks mate but sorry I have no more exciting stuff.. that's as exciting as it gets for wannabes like me. To be honest I thought this video was fairly exciting and contained applied theory, but apparently it is not, and does not :( Curse my nerd vision!

eh and don't say like that leh :( they're not my theories. They are in fact race industry accepted truth (no longer theory), and have been for decades - applied day in day out by hundreds of high quality teams internationally. It is extremely surprising that even many top local drivers don't know many of the theories and why they struggle with adaptability and in some cases even basic speed on solo laps relative to their more knowledgeable counterparts.

==

big time professional race driver i worship, says my video is boring :( i am so sad.. gonna go jump off a building now... hahhah

Shaun;669185 said:
thanks mate but sorry I have no more exciting stuff.. that's as exciting as it gets for wannabes like me. To be honest I thought this video was fairly exciting and contained applied theory, but apparently it is not, and does not :( Curse my nerd vision!

eh and don't say like that leh :( they're not my theories. They are in fact race industry accepted truth (no longer theory), and have been for decades - applied day in day out by hundreds of high quality teams internationally. It is extremely surprising that even many top local drivers don't know many of the theories and why they struggle with adaptability and in some cases even basic speed on solo laps relative to their more knowledgeable counterparts.

==

big time professional race driver i worship, says my video is boring :( i am so sad.. gonna go jump off a building now... hahhah

never say boring leh...you said that you only posted the boring stuff...am sure u are hiding the good stuff hehe...only showing Acsendant students is it? =)

anyways we are all amatuers enjoying the sport to different extents. None of us live off motorsports as a driver, in fact we are working so that we can be a driver hahahaha

i said "least boring" leh hehah.. not "boring" :(

the other solo laps are even more boring than this boring video! :(

the only thing that will make me feel better is a hug from my hero (you). ok you owe me one ah! :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubproorg

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back