DIY - Interior trims of E60

silverbeam

Just to share with ya'll a DIY project which I took several weekends to complete. Since car is already old, so I thought why not give it alittle rework to spice up the interior.

This is a carbon fibre design fabric which is glued onto the existing dash, gear, 4 doors and rear aircon

Remove the trim, spray 3M glue on trim and use the fabric to wrap around the trim. Dries in 10mins and your're ready to put the trim back. I didnt do a very good job but pretty pleased with the overall results.

Cheap mod, requires good pair of hands and some guts.

Re: DIY - Interior trims of E60

looks pretty dam good to me. impressive!

good job. how much do you spend on this interior re-work.
budget $300-$400, can do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

i think it does very decent to me!

bravo!

similar job by reputable shops will cost close to 1.5k...

( :

i like the part about having guts.

more than impress......... very good diy indeed.

WT_KNOW @ 1400cm x 90cm should cover the interior. I spent S$60 on all the materials. 3M material cost alittle more. Probably dont need $300. Anymore, you should go to Robson Designs for the works.

Chershen @ Guts required because, certain trims may be difficult to remove. Need some force to yank it out

I have extra material for another car. Anybody wants to have a go at it, let me know

thumbs up for you brother.a job well done.first time wrapping stuff??

silverbeam,

Nice, can pm me where you got the carbon fibre design fabric. thanks

yeah... it is really impressive. I'm thinking of doing the same too. Perhaps you can also PM me the details. Thanks.

kudos... kindly pm me the source of ur fabric please. thanks, ps the 3m glue available in normal hardward shops? what quality type of glue

Very impressive work. I'm wondering how did u manage to get around working those edges that are curved or rounded? Did u use a heater gun or something? Cos I rem 3M CF stickers are typically thicker that norm type.

1.5bar;569386 said:
Very impressive work. I'm wondering how did u manage to get around working those edges that are curved or rounded? Did u use a heater gun or something? Cos I rem 3M CF stickers are typically thicker that norm type.

Getting around corners is a pain. Dont think you can use heater gun as this is fabric. Vinyl you probably can. My diy is not commercial grade workmanship. Some kinks can be seen under scrutiny. Some may not even see it. If cannot accept it, you can strip it out, clean the glue out with remover and rework it. Perhaps some practice before working on the trims is a good idea.

I havent seen the 3M CF vinyl yet, so I wonder if they are easier to work with.

cool bro...i did this for my e46..

great job guys!!!
Very Very NCE~!!!
:thumbsup:

p.s. 3M vinyls are quite easily manageable even for corners with slight heating using hairdryer, as long as the cutting of the shape is appropriately cut (not to much, or too little access to wrap around)

just want to be clear ... the material is actually vinyl or fabric for 3M ?
does it comes with self-adhesive (peel and stick) or must use 3rd party glue ?

diy or paid service?? looks well done.. and it seems like dry CF from the pictures..

mine is DIY dry carbon vinyl adhesive sticker..no need for glue..but hairdryer will be needed for the corners..cheap mod..=)

Taizi @ nice work you got there. I would give vinyl a go next time.

Rich7 @ yeah, i would agree that getting the right correct cut off is quite impt. Too much causes big thick overlap while under cut is like a mouse bite after a haircut.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back