Does your E60 'drink' coolant?

Citizen69

In the past 6 months of having a pre-owned E60 520i, I have the message 'Coolant level too low' twice. And both times the dipper is well below and need to top up. It is quite regular at about 3 months interval.

Is it a sign of leaking or is the E60 engine simply too hot for daily drive and dries up the coolant very rapidly? I only do 70-80km every day and previous rides never had this issue before, other than when there is radiator leaks and total zero coolant.

Anybody else had this experience before?

Re: Does your E60 'drink' coolant?

Another possibility is coolant leaking thru gasket into engine oil
Then you will get low coolant warning but i'm not sure if your car will warn you of too high engine oil level

To check if that is the case ...... open EO cap and look inside. If there are white film floating around ....then coolant leaked inside.

Jason8822;993202 said:
Then you will get low coolant warning but i'm not sure if your car will warn you of too high engine oil level

Shouldn't be. Engine oil level has also been steadily dropping since 'MAX' level last oil change.

Did noticed a pool of liquid after the car in the car park once. But it has kinda oily feel to it and happened the day after I did the ATF change. Did not see it again after 1 day.

Even after the car has stopped for 3 hours or so, when i release the cap to top up coolant last sunday, it still has the psst sound of compressed air escaping, so I believe that the cap is still air tight. The engine compartment was still very warm, but it could be due to Sunday's hot weather (?) Parked at 5.30-8.30pm, open air carpark....

Jason8822;993202 said:

Good advice! Will check it tomorrow. Thanks Jason and RedBean!

Red_Bean_Bun;993204 said:
To check if that is the case ...... open EO cap and look inside. If there are white film floating around ....then coolant leaked inside.

Just check around the radiator and the expansion tank for the coolant stain. If found mean time to change radiator or expansion tank.

Aiya. I will juz drive into a ws & ask them to check. Fix it quick quick.

Bro, better sent for proper check before any further damage appear. I already experienced overheat issue and nearly caused massive damage to my car.

yes. At any of the sponsor workshop....

redrex;993713 said:
Can do a pressure test see if there is any leak of the old water piping , old water pipe that show sign of wear and maybe the case.

Yep, probably will ask WS to test that by the next oil change! Thanks for advice!!

redrex;993713 said:
Can do a pressure test see if there is any leak of the old water piping , old water pipe that show sign of wear and maybe the case.

Citizen69;993197 said:
In the past 6 months of having a pre-owned E60 520i, I have the message 'Coolant level too low' twice. And both times the dipper is well below and need to top up. It is quite regular at about 3 months interval.

Is it a sign of leaking or is the E60 engine simply too hot for daily drive and dries up the coolant very rapidly? I only do 70-80km every day and previous rides never had this issue before, other than when there is radiator leaks and total zero coolant.

Hi... any update on the situation with the problem. Resolved?. I seem to be having similar problem with my E60 too...

e60s will experience some rubber hose wear n tear by now, time to replace, cost only a few hundred to change all hose pipings comparing to thousands for a new engine.

Citizen69;993197 said:

I got this problem too .Yesterday sent vehicle to workshop for check . After mechanic has pressured up the coolant system ,the pressure guage needle show no sign of dropping and there wasn't any hose leaking too ????
The mechanic was puzzel too and shake his head. Finally decided to he pump coolant out the expansion tank and top up new bottle of coolant. Then ask me to check whether found any coloure liguid dripping after parked the vehicle . (stop)driving )
But this morning unable to see any sign of coloure liquid on the ground ....Actually what went wrong??

Anyone can advice !!!!??

Tks

sinn;1034881 said:
Check coolant electronic sensor. Maybe just false alarm.
Dipper is went below and need to top up before so it's not sensor issue for him.

relaxed;1034827 said:
e60s will experience some rubber hose wear n tear by now, time to replace, cost only a few hundred to change all hose pipings comparing to thousands for a new engine.

Water level from the expansion drops. But no sign of leaking after pressure test. Is it possible the rubber seal from the cap already worn out ?????

Anyway, got the 'leak' fixed at BVO last month.

changed the coolant system. Aka change everything that is involved in the coolant system and piping. ...

damage together with their 0WS package was about 1100 including GST. 0WS is about 250 including GST

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgamebai

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back