E36 engine swap

totoseow

Legendary 10 Years
am posting for a friend....his nick is incognito in this forum...asked me something that i buay heow....i know all the e36 experts here can help him. pls do so.

quote:

My father recently acquired an old e36 320 two weeks ago, and the engine broke today.

From visual inspection it seems the crankshaft went kaput.

chui pictures by seow - Photobucket

Any idea on where to start? It seems engine swaps and rebuilds are quite popular here....
unquote...

Re: E36 engine swap

thanks to the couple of you who hv responded via pm. i will fwd to my friend.

totoseow;411042 said:
thanks to the couple of you who hv responded via pm. i will fwd to my friend.
one of them must be guni kia aka milk15 Propel :lol2:
unless he not "Kai Gong" yet.

iScoupe;411084 said:
one of them must be guni kia aka milk15 Propel :lol2:
unless he not "Kai Gong" yet.

Not me la.................... Me on leave..... :nehnehhh:

totoseow;411143 said:
so guni dun talk so much...share abit leh..

Wow........... its seems serious with all the broken fins.... :(
1.jpg

Paiseh.... I'm not really technical with all these troubleshooting stuffs..... I only could say is that.... do bring to the workshop and let them check whats really the problem...
As i do not know how much your friend is willin to spend & how long does he intend to keep driving the car...

Here's some points for him to note..... if the engine really pang kang liao....
Hope it helps................:)
  • if its just some minor parts need replace... should be less then $500
  • if overhaul / rebuild completely for 6potters.... est. $2500 - S$3000
  • if do engine swap for a same 320.... est. $2000
  • if swap to a higher 328...... est. $2800 (provided his 320 is a single vanos engine if not will have to get the complete 328 half cut to do the conversion)
  • Complete 328 half cut ...... est. $5000
  • Last option.......:laughlik: E36 M3 3.2L engine ....... est. $7000
Pls note the above pricing are just a rough estimation........
*** btw, toto, its time for you to pass the PROPEL vouchers for your friend to use..... kekekek

I am a little surprised that the crankshaft can go kaput though. Its the single toughest engine component and the last thing to go.....

From the pics, I see that the fan is broken (its a common problem on E36 though!!) and the belt has come off (looks like water pump?). The oil pump is still running fine since it runs off the crank. This means there is no oil starvation.

IMHO, the worst case scenario is probably an overheated engine. As long as your friend off the engine before it hits the red zone (even if it hits is fine), the engine will still run fine. If not, you may get a warped head. It should not damage the crank in any case though.

There is a very nasty design fault with M/S 50/52 engine oil pump. The nut that holds on the oil pump sprocket has a left hand thread and it can come off when running; the nut and sprocket then bounce around the crank case causing very expensive damage.

Mockngbrd;414627 said:
not commonly

Any insights to share? Not wise to just depend on an electric fan replacement?

From what the american BMW enthusiasts have revealed, it seems like a essential modification to prevent catastrophic fan failure.

Do bear with me on my neophyte queries. :)

I have a spare M50B20 engine complete with ZF 5 speed automatic transmission.. you can have the whole thing for 800 if you want let me know.. 600 if you just want the engine

The fan delete "mod" only works for temperate countries, for us tropical creatures, keep the engine clutch fan... the clutch fan is a wear and tear item and should be replaced every couple of years, but most neglect to do it

guys, if i plan to swap a e36 318i to a m54b20 or m54b25, what would be the possible costs?

I think its going to cost around 6-8K. I believe you are better off going to M50B25 instead. Its 2.5L and its cheaper. It puts down a very respectable 190HP as well.

If not, you can follow me by rebuilding my 318is engine and stroking up to 2L and turbo/supercharge it. It will have more power than even the M3...hoho...

halcrontech, pm me can? care to share your project? I've considered the M50B25 as well. But it MUST come as a halfcut if not it wont work and that itself is talking big money.

Well, from 318 to up, alot of electronics, wiring, must be changed. You need the 325s waterpump, atlernator, etc etc. Pretty much everything must be replaced of that of the 325. Not to mention the all important ECU as well. Its as good as going for a halfcut.

Halfcut we're talking about thousands here. I remember a 328 halfcut is about 7k or more? 325 probably 5k or more. And ALL this, DOES NOT include labour in as well. Which will probably be ANOTHER 3-5k. All in all, not worth it at all. Might as well sell your 318 and get a 325 instead.

Thus, the best option i see for us 318, 318iS, is to like bro halcrontech above. Stroke the engine, supercharged. You'll find yourself probably even lesser cost then the engine swap, but even higher power gained. Of course, you wont engine the top end cause thats when CC comes in. But then again i dont think you're looking to cruise at 250km/h in singapore anyway.

I've considered the half cut approach. No point. Unless something happens to the scrap market, and everything gets way cheaper. Oh yes, there is the option of Overseas engines. Which are somehow i dont know why way cheaper then here. But you run the risk of shipping and warrenty. But thats an entirely different story there.

I know you're feeling as mind farked as me. Don't worry. There are many in the same position. Consider wisely, and then proceed. Market no good, don't embark on a journey which you are not sure if you can finish. Remember, half-fark completed cars run the highest risk of breakdowns and accidents.

2 cents my friend :)

thanks bro...

wah...so warped up.
i was building castles and planning a purchase of 318 coupe.

Now i really have to rethink.
saw some of our lads here got their hands on a 320M which is so darn cool!

i cant find any in the market for offer right now...everytime one offers to sell, that fella got quickly snapped up.

bro how much is your baby's fc?

Bro halcontech is stroking his eng to get it to 2.0l? which would be cheaper opt?
- to stroke
- to get 2.0l/2.5l auto and change her to manual?

SC_IS;415077 said:
Halfcut we're talking about thousands here. I remember a 328 halfcut is about 7k or more? 325 probably 5k or more. And ALL this, DOES NOT include labour in as well. Which will probably be ANOTHER 3-5k. All in all, not worth it at all. Might as well sell your 318 and get a 325 instead.

2 cents my friend :)

No so many thousands la...........
328 complete frt cut only abt 5k....
325 about 3.5k........

Labour........ Maximum - S$3k........:nehnehhh: :nehnehhh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dafabetcomde