E46 318i (M43) RPM not smooth/ticking (Problem Solved)

jackmok

Hi ppl! I just want to share one of my pain in the axx experience with my E46. When I bought this car 3 years ago, it started ok, but few month later, the RPM starts to tick very minorly (no fault codes). My wife who drives cant notice, just felt powerless. When u floor the accelerator, up gentle slope (i.e. shears bridge), at 3rd gear 60kmh, the RPM will stay around 2200RPM and and fluctuating up and down 10-20RPM. Sometimes (most of the times), on straight road, 2nd or 3rd gear, WOT or 3/4 throttle, similarly the RPM refuses to accelerate like a normal car should, the RPM will go up and pulse, up and pulse up and pulse, very minimal but irritating enough for me to notice.

I changed many things to troubleshoot, I changed fuel filter, fuel pump, check vac leaks, fuel pressure reg (although this fellow is not the cause, but it solved my "difficult to start" problem), camshaft position sensor, MAF...

Recently, I changed the pre-cat o2 sensor, and my 2 years problem is solved! The acceleration is smooth, no ticking RPM, the car seems much livelier.

Then I bought a bluetooth OBD 2 scanner to read codes. And pops up a "p0340 powertrain cps A circuit bank 1", immediately I recalled that I changed my original Camshaft position sensor with a cheap ebay one when my RPM ticks, and CPS is failing. I immediately changed back to the OEM one (supposedly not spoil), clear the fault code, and no more fault code! Car drive even better!

Hope anyone with similar problem can benefit from my experience.

Cheers!

Re: E46 318i (M43) RPM not smooth/ticking (Problem Solved)

Red_Bean_Bun;1005557 said:
Any pics of your ride ?

My profile pic..... Which part r u interested to see! I got many of my car photos....

all this because of O2 sensor ... diagnostic tool cannot pinpoint the problem initially?

jackmok;1005548 said:
Hi ppl! I just want to share one of my pain in the axx experience with my E46. When I bought this car 3 years ago, it started ok, but few month later, the RPM starts to tick very minorly (no fault codes). My wife who drives cant notice, just felt powerless. When u floor the accelerator, up gentle slope (i.e. shears bridge), at 3rd gear 60kmh, the RPM will stay around 2200RPM and and fluctuating up and down 10-20RPM. Sometimes (most of the times), on straight road, 2nd or 3rd gear, WOT or 3/4 throttle, similarly the RPM refuses to accelerate like a normal car should, the RPM will go up and pulse, up and pulse up and pulse, very minimal but irritating enough for me to notice.

I changed many things to troubleshoot, I changed fuel filter, fuel pump, check vac leaks, fuel pressure reg (although this fellow is not the cause, but it solved my "difficult to start" problem), camshaft position sensor, MAF...

Recently, I changed the pre-cat o2 sensor, and my 2 years problem is solved! The acceleration is smooth, no ticking RPM, the car seems much livelier.

Then I bought a bluetooth OBD 2 scanner to read codes. And pops up a "p0340 powertrain cps A circuit bank 1", immediately I recalled that I changed my original Camshaft position sensor with a cheap ebay one when my RPM ticks, and CPS is failing. I immediately changed back to the OEM one (supposedly not spoil), clear the fault code, and no more fault code! Car drive even better!

Hope anyone with similar problem can benefit from my experience.

Cheers!

It's an m43 ...... Need experience and patience to diagnose.

send to Doc Rod, he E46 expert.

thanks jack,

i have rpm tickling problem during idling too. i realized it during traffic stops and rev-ing up.
i am driving a E90 2006 model. i wonder what may be the problem and how much u actually spent to rectify it?
i have weak engine start-up, it sounds as if the battery is weak, the initial start up in the morning is weak sometimes may have to even press 2 times " START " button to start.

Can i have any advice ? Thank you so much brother. u can pm or reply here. thanks

Kaka99;1007340 said:
thanks jack,

i have rpm tickling problem during idling too. i realized it during traffic stops and rev-ing up.
i am driving a E90 2006 model. i wonder what may be the problem and how much u actually spent to rectify it?
i have weak engine start-up, it sounds as if the battery is weak, the initial start up in the morning is weak sometimes may have to even press 2 times " START " button to start.

Can i have any advice ? Thank you so much brother. u can pm or reply here. thanks

starter issue?

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

ac323;1007359 said:
starter issue?

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Understand E90 have got the starter failing problem, a lot have the starter replaced.

vexxus;1007619 said:

Understand E90 have got the starter failing problem, a lot have the starter replaced.

Thank brothers for the replies.
i shall send my e90 to the workshop for more diagnosis.

Kaka99;1007860 said:
Thank brothers for the replies.
i shall send my e90 to the workshop for more diagnosis.

No worries.

I had mine replaced too, but not because starter failure, due to myself dunno how to start a bimmer..... :oops:

Kaka99;1007340 said:
thanks jack,

RPM up and down... I dono why, but I learnt something, always diagnose first. If no fault code, then must find sifu.... Hard start in morning, I had similar problem, it was due to fuel regulator near fuel rail. I changed, prob solve. But also could be fuel filt n fuel pump, but don't think ur young car wil hav such problem.

Hi all, need help to solve my problem. Car at time when stopped at traffic light, moving off the car will suddenly die off and had to restart a few time before the engine will crank. Anyone can advise what is the problem. Thanks.

Hi all, anyone can assist or know which workshop is good at diagnosing E46? Thanks.

Both r at PML....best diagnostic company for BMW

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aureacondo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back