E46 Engine oil leak

thomas91

Hi All,

Does anyone has this problem? I just went for servicing and realise this problem. Repairing will cost me more than 1K. I was wondering could I just live with it till something really happens or should I remedy it now.

The technician says that the rubber or something hardens and blah blah..... makes me worry.

Thanks.

Re: E46 Engine oil leak

I'm guessing you got this feedback from PML's technicians?

I would suggest that you bring your car to either BVO or Juzz for Cars at Sin Ming and get their opinion. A more honest assessment will be made, with more decent prices. :)

If it's just the rubber hardening, it shouldn't cost $1k. (unless there are other things that also needs fixing)

Hope this helps.

seek a 2nd...3rd opinion and remedy it now...the more you drag the more it'll cost you.

and you wouldn't enjoy driving with all these weighing at e back of you mind will you?

Which seal do they mean?

if they mean the sump gasket, then yeah it could be that much

if it is valve cover gasket, im guessing less than 100

its only an oil leak, no big deal. Just remember to check your levels now and then

Thanks a lot bros,

In fact I got this feedback from BVO, they are fantastic and number one in service. Since they are one of the recommended workshop here. That makes me worry as I believe their opinions are geniune.

Since I'm not exactly a car person, I don't exact know their technical terms and I presume it must be something serious. They showed me the oil leak around the engine area.

They did comment on checking the oil level now and then if I don't do anything but I don't feel at ease. Will there be an alert signal if the level runs too low?

its not serious at all. its just a leak. either get it fixed or let it be

yes there is a light that comes on, but when it comes on, it's too late then, your engine die

phil;330724 said:
yes there is a light that comes on, but when it comes on, it's too late then, your engine die
Light comes on when oil is low, engine won't die immediately la. You are scaring people Phil! :nehnehhh:

no, on e46 it is a pressure light, not a low level light like on an E90

so if it comes on, no pressure, no oil circulating.

think why an engine needs oil

I have the same problem. Engine oil leak from the bottom which should be oil sump gasket giving way. The gasket replacement is cheap but the labour will cost you the majority of the 1k because the front sus arm has to be removed. For me, I just live with it and occasionally check the engine oil level.

bmwF1;330794 said:
I have the same problem. Engine oil leak from the bottom which should be oil sump gasket giving way. The gasket replacement is cheap but the labour will cost you the majority of the 1k because the front sus arm has to be removed. For me, I just live with it and occasionally check the engine oil level.

Yup, my E46 has the same problem too. Got it replaced just bef the chinese new year, cost about the same as stated. The labour cost the most due to the complexity.

phil;330760 said:
no, on e46 it is a pressure light, not a low level light like on an E90

so if it comes on, no pressure, no oil circulating.

think why an engine needs oil
Thanks for the good info bro. Buy you milo ice next time.

Anyway, my engine oil burns off 2L to 3L every 2500km. No leaks, all kind of gasket and pipe changes. Don't know where it goes to....(no, I did not use it to oil my own body....)

just at a reputable workshop this afternoon to have the rear disc brake replaced. i requested the mechanic to hoist up my e46 for a look at its under carriage. the mechanic told me that the oil leak problem is common for e46 (mine's has new seal already). another common problem is leaky wind screen washer pump.

I just had a 'oil sump' gasket replaced at my long-time mechanic at a Kaki Bukit workshop. $300. About a month ago. One day job.

imho, replace it, bro.

not worth the time to worry abt such trivial matters, else u won't enjoy your ride. bvo can't be wrong. they'd tell u no nid if reali no nid, so ask their reco, and do as recommended. i've got mine replaced as well, together with one of my servicing interval to save on labor and time. it tends to happen to those cars which are prone to:
- being in traffic jams frequently
- consistently high revs, high temp.
- much idling.
- much parking/driving outdoors.

basically, exposure to high temp in the engine compartment.
so its not the same with ALL e46s... just some.

hmm.. u guys look for whu in bov? coz i jus went there as my e46 also having the prob of oil leaks but he quote mi 800++ for the basic cost n he told mi it will cost more if he finds anything he need to fixed.n i did told him i was from this forum.

shadow1;439535 said:
hmm.. u guys look for whu in bov? coz i jus went there as my e46 also having the prob of oil leaks but he quote mi 800++ for the basic cost n he told mi it will cost more if he finds anything he need to fixed.n i did told him i was from this forum.

Bro, go to R2D and let Rod to access first. I believe he will give you a better quote.

shadow1;439535 said:

Most ppl will look for Ah Wee at BVO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
df999today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back