[E46 question] 2 problems

Leon_s

Hi guys,

I'm an owner of a 2002 318i (prefacelifted model with M43 engine). I've been having these 2 problems since a few months ago.

First problem, knocking/rattling steering wheel (or somewhere inside the steering) when driving over an uneven surfaced road. It's not too bad, but it's enough to annoy me. Sometimes it's followed by a slight knocking (again not all the time) coming from underneath the car. According to E46fanatics fellaz, it is caused by the steering rack coupler that has gone bad. Can anyone justify this? Where can I get the coupler from?

Second problem, my car vibrates a little when doing 100km/h or more. The vibration comes from the center of the car. And only happens at 100km/h or more. Has anyone had the same problem? Mind sharing the cure?

I hope I can find the answer I need..

thanks in advance, guys

Re: [E46 question] 2 problems

hmm i'm not a pro on such things but your first problem may be cause by the power steering? you can do a check on that.

the second problem may be the gearbox or transmission? haha hope it helps. do bring it to a workshop and do a troubleshoot. it may cause a serious problem as time goes by. hope you can settle the problem as soon as possible. :)

Leon_s;375226 said:
Hi guys,

I'm an owner of a 2002 318i (prefacelifted model with M43 engine). I've been having these 2 problems since a few months ago.

First problem, knocking/rattling steering wheel (or somewhere inside the steering) when driving over an uneven surfaced road. It's not too bad, but it's enough to annoy me. Sometimes it's followed by a slight knocking (again not all the time) coming from underneath the car. According to E46fanatics fellaz, it is caused by the steering rack coupler that has gone bad. Can anyone justify this? Where can I get the coupler from?

Suppose i guess its the fron undercarriage got problems... mayb bushings or like u say steering rack.... Get from MILK15 aka Guni. Look under the Site Sponsor thread find Propel and u will find him

Second problem, my car vibrates a little when doing 100km/h or more. The vibration comes from the center of the car. And only happens at 100km/h or more. Has anyone had the same problem? Mind sharing the cure?

Well.... It may be transmission or high speed balance..... but then since its centre..... high chance transmission..... i had such problems before when i drove a jap in auto.
I hope I can find the answer I need..

thanks in advance, guys

Hope it helps................... :oops:

panzer;375345 said:
Hope it helps................... :oops:

I think he's in Jakarta...

so Propel might be a bit faraway.
Might wanna check your local scrapyards..

Check your control arm bushings.

bad news is, the rattling could be due to a whole lot of possibilities...

steering rattling - bad control arm bushings, bad sway bar mounts, something wrong with the steering rack, etc. etc.

vibration - check wheel alignment & wheel balancing (sometimes is the wheels that make it seem like it comes from the centre of the car), worn out clutch, transmission problem, differential problem, etc.etc.

now that i've gotten your attention... kekeke... i was just being a devil's advocate - it's the worst case scenario.

but relax, most of the time it's only a minor problem that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

better go get it checked soon, before the problems get worse.

all the best!

ok..got everything checked yesterday.

Oddly enough, there's nothing wrong with the front suspension. The shop lent me a new steering rack, the knocking is still there. I dunno where else to go. It's not that I can hear it every time or affects the handling in anyway, but it's enough to annoy me

Bro,
The vibration could also be due to the engine mounting. It's especialy bad when start engine. That's what happened to me. Changed it at workshop and the car has no more problem.

engine mounts cost less than $200. go give it a try...

my E46 also has a slight or mild vibration that feels like its coming from the transmission when the car is at about 80+km/h..

its not the balancing on the front wheels coz steering feels ok.
so it might be on the rear.

checked the mounting @BVO yesterday and mech said that the mountings are still ok.
he took the car out for a short spin and declared ok.. maybe is just my butt.

what about wheel bearings?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hanhtrinhtuoitrevn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back