E60 (2009) Auto Wiper Questions

bmw4life

I have a couple of questions which i need some advice on.

I just acquired a 1yr old E60 520i. I read from the instruction manual that i just need to push a little switch to turn on the Auto wiper function. I did that and the light came on indicating that auto is enabled. But the wiper did not start automatically when i drove in the rain earlier.
I tried turning the dial as well, but nothing happens. Did I miss something?

The other question is, is there an 'interval' wiper mode? When I push my wiper 'up', it just go into continuous mode. When i push it 'up' again, it goes into faster continuous mode. Pushing 'up' after this has no effect, until i push it down and it stops.

hmmm...:huhhuh:

Re: E60 (2009) Auto Wiper Questions

There is no manual intermittent mode. Only the auto mode ranges from long interval to fast. Just pressing the button will turn on the auto mode, nothing more.

bmw4life;556410 said:
I have a couple of questions which i need some advice on.

I just acquired a 1yr old E60 520i. I read from the instruction manual that i just need to push a little switch to turn on the Auto wiper function. I did that and the light came on indicating that auto is enabled. But the wiper did not start automatically when i drove in the rain earlier.
I tried turning the dial as well, but nothing happens. Did I miss something?

The other question is, is there an 'interval' wiper mode? When I push my wiper 'up', it just go into continuous mode. When i push it 'up' again, it goes into faster continuous mode. Pushing 'up' after this has no effect, until i push it down and it stops.

hmmm...:huhhuh:
have u tried pushing the lever down instead? it works both on my E90 and E89. wiper flicks just once for a quick wipe.

the auto button should turn the wiper on whenever there is rain water on the sensor of your windscreen. try turning the auto button on and off again the next time. if not working likely the snsor is faulty.

Thanks for the replies.

ok, I tried this morning.

Turn on the auto mode. then took a water hose and sprayed water on the windscreen, and the auto wiper works! Only problem is, I have to turn on the hose pretty strong in order for the rain sensor to detect water(?) before activating the wiper. I have tried to increase the sensitivity by turning the dial but that was at the most sensitive settings already. No wonder on drizzling days, the damn thing doesn't start by itself. I probably need a super heavy thunderstorm before the auto wiper would work.:|

Anyone knows knows how to reset or adjust the sensitivity of the sensor? Or do i need to bring it to a workshop?

bmw4life;556518 said:
Thanks for the replies.

ok, I tried this morning.

Turn on the auto mode. then took a water hose and sprayed water on the windscreen, and the auto wiper works! Only problem is, I have to turn on the hose pretty strong in order for the rain sensor to detect water(?) before activating the wiper. I have tried to increase the sensitivity by turning the dial but that was at the most sensitive settings already. No wonder on drizzling days, the damn thing doesn't start by itself. I probably need a super heavy thunderstorm before the auto wiper would work.:|

Anyone knows knows how to reset or adjust the sensitivity of the sensor? Or do i need to bring it to a workshop?
the so called sensitivity settings merely increase the wipe speed of the wiper. it shldnt take more than slight drizzle to activate the wipers. take the car in for a check at the workshops.

IMHO the auto wiper is the second silliest feature in my car. It swipes when I don't need it to. And doesn't when I need it to. Just give me a manual system with intermittent, normal and fast speed any time.

longhorn;556600 said:
IMHO the auto wiper is the second silliest feature in my car. It swipes when I don't need it to. And doesn't when I need it to. Just give me a manual system with intermittent, normal and fast speed any time.

....and what's the silliest feature?:oooops:

The auto dimming rear View and side mirrors. Dangerous!! Don't get me started on that heh heh...

:errr::errr::errr: cheers!

longhorn;556600 said:

I agreed. When in light drizzle, I find the manual mode (the first speed) too fast as it keeps swiping, so I will use the auto mode so that it will swipe once only every few seconds.

However, in heavy rain, the auto mode's swiping speed is so fast it makes me giddy - so I use back manual mode (first speed). Kinda confusing because I have to switch around.

The old manual system works fine and I find it best. Maybe I'm getting old....

No you are not getting old. This is a classic case of un-needed technology.

Just like the auto dimming. At night, open your doors and then close them again. The cabin lights will make your mirrors dim automatically. Then I cannot see any cars behind me. Make it impossible for me to filter out to next lane. Stooooopid!!!!!!

Edit : and when the wiper sensor/system breaks down eventually..HAHA GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, agreed, the stupid auto-dimming mirror is good but they really need to separate the sensor from the cabin lights. When I switch on my front cabin lights (e.g. for my passenger to search for something in the car), I can't see a damn thing in my mirror! Very dangerous man.
Sorry for OT.

I've been told today, the rain sensor (and the headlight sensor) does not track the rain / water (brightness of the sun) for its activation.

He told me, the 2 device uses the same sensor, and it sense the Infra Red light in the surrounding to determine if the wiper should start swiping (and if headlight) should come on...

Sounds like bullshit.. what do you guys think?

henry2703;559015 said:
I've been told today, the rain sensor (and the headlight sensor) does not track the rain / water (brightness of the sun) for its activation.

He told me, the 2 device uses the same sensor, and it sense the Infra Red light in the surrounding to determine if the wiper should start swiping (and if headlight) should come on...

Sounds like bullshit.. what do you guys think?

quote from "how rain sensor works..."

The sensor projects infrared light into the windshield at a 45-degree angle. If the glass is dry, most of this light is reflected back into the sensor by the front of the windshield. If water droplets are on the glass, they reflect the light in different directions -- the wetter the glass, the less light makes it back into the sensor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiabc8bot

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back