E60 intermittent clank, thud, jerk, jolt etc when starting engine only

Trigeek

My car, E60 yr 2007 is having this problem. Only happen once when you start the engine. Leave the car alone for a while and try restarting, you can hear a soft thud. Sometimes, it is a loud clank or jerk. Also depends how the car is parked in a flat ground or slope...The intensity of the thud, jerk or jolt varies.. It seems like it is trying to engage a gear when starting...PML did a complete re-programming but problem still persist. PML also mentioned that this is quite comment especially for LCI model. it seems to be a miscommunication between the torque converter and .and there is nothing that can be done except programming it. Other than this annoying issue when starting, the car run fine and I love my car. Just wanted to know if anyone is having the same problem...thanks

Asked my friend, Mr Google and it came back with this

"it seems to be a known problem for E60, E61 and E70s produced in 2007 and 2008. BMW issued guidance to service dealerships advising them to act 'on customer complaint only' rather than a recall.

It's a software fault with the transmission self-check test on start. I found this on another forum.

"You have a transmission control chip called EGS much like your DME that manages the engine. In fact they communicate with each other and often times the software update may be to both units. Software fixes to either or both would control shift points (up or down) at certain RPM, certain lateral accelerations (ABS sensor), braking force, hill holding, etc.

BMW issued as SIB (Service Information Bulletin) in December 2008, as follows:

SI B 24 08 08
Automatic Transmission December 2008
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 08 dated October 2008.

SUBJECT
E62, E70 with 6HP19TU - Transmission Clunks after Engine Start

MODEL
E60, E61 with N52K or N54 and 6HP19TU produced from 03/07 up to 09/08

E70 (X5 3.0) with N52K and 6HP19TU produced from 12/06 up to 10/08

SITUATION
The customer may complain about a clunking noise heard from the transmission, sometimes accompanied by a "bang", felt in the rear of the vehicle after engine start-up. This complaint can be intermittently reproduced when the transmission is in the P position (the noise and/or jolt does not occur when the selector gear is placed in N).

CAUSE
EGS software calibration in regards to the transmission self-check test on the engine start

SOLUTION
On a customer complaint basis only, check the vehicle's integration level.

If the integration level is:

On E60, E61 vehicles - E060-08-03-550 or lower

On E70 vehicles � E070-08-05-525 or lower

Reprogram and recode the complete vehicle with a current Progman version (V31.1 or higher). The target integration levels are E060-08-09-520 or E070-08-09-520, respectively, for E60, E61 and E70 vehicles"

Re: E60 intermittent clank, thud, jerk, jolt etc when starting engine only

Mine is an '08.. Never really notice a thud sound after startIng engine because never really paid attention. Will check later. Thanks for the info.

same here.. i dont experience such issues other than vibrations when idle..

This is not the underlying reason.

This noise occurs only in E-gear models. With E-gear transmissions, the valvebody uses hydraulic pressure to activate the master selector for the hydraulic circuit. In the older manual selectors, there is a cable that runs down to the gearbox to perform this function. This selector also dis-engags the parking prawl of the gearbox to lock the transmission.

Since the new e-gear uses hydraulic fluid (a.k.a. ATF) to move the master cylinder, when your car is parked and off, the entire ATF system de-pressurises and all the valves inside the valvebody goes into free play. Its only when you start that the engine starts to turn the torque converter and the oil pump and this builds pressure and the valve body re-sets itself into the P position. This gives rise to the "clunk" that you hear.

Why this happens now is due to the wear of the valvebody and the ATF. The valves slide around inside the cylinders and this wears them out ever so slightly. With age, the ATF also thins out and thus when you switch off the engine, more of the stuff seeps pack into the pan, waiting for the next start.

If you wanna reduce the clunk, try refreshing the ATF and this should minimise the clunk. Or else, its a new valvebody....and that is not cheap.

Rod

If the ATF isn't done yet then it's time .......

Thanks guys...what is the usual mileage for ATF refresh?

Suggest change ATF after 60,000 KM. Cheers!

So do we need to change atf or go PML and getbthe software upgraded? Mine too have the sound after starting the engine but not loud though.

My E60 (year 07) is coming to 120,000 km soon but transmission is still smooth, no funny noises on the gear, etc. I have been deligently change ATF every 30k. ATF filter change every alternate 30k.

Just change ATF & workshop will update your software where necessary if you tell mechanic your issue. If still no cure then they will check and advice accordingly. Up to you where u wanna go.

I have this issue as well.

Did ATF but no effect. Still got the sound when I start the engine.

Initially, my workshop also quote me to change the gear lever system. Quite ex.

I went to my friend's workshop. The boss say do software update sure can solve the issue. Quoted me a price. Then since so cheap can try. While updating the system, I ask again.. so shen qi can solve the problem by software upgrade. Then he told me.. can solve most of the sounds. tmd.

Updated the software for 1 month, I haven't heard any sound yet. But there is another issue. steering wheel is vibrating hard when in stationary.

Now I am guessing whether is a engine mounting etc. Alot of money involved. haha.

Hi Shinigaimi,

Can share what exactly the software update was? and also the workshop? Did the ATF refresh yesterday but still has the thud sound....:(

Shinigaimi;933239 said:
I have this issue as well.

Did ATF but no effect. Still got the sound when I start the engine.

Initially, my workshop also quote me to change the gear lever system. Quite ex.

I went to my friend's workshop. The boss say do software update sure can solve the issue. Quoted me a price. Then since so cheap can try. While updating the system, I ask again.. so shen qi can solve the problem by software upgrade. Then he told me.. can solve most of the sounds. tmd.

Updated the software for 1 month, I haven't heard any sound yet. But there is another issue. steering wheel is vibrating hard when in stationary.

Now I am guessing whether is a engine mounting etc. Alot of money involved. haha.

Trigeek;933264 said:
Hi Shinigaimi,

Can share what exactly the software update was? and also the workshop? Did the ATF refresh yesterday but still has the thud sound....:(

The software update is system version of e60. My version is 07.

I think ATF cause there is a leak. That's why I need to change.

I pm u the workshop once I have it. Somewhere in sin Ming.

Hi , i just collect my car e60 523i 2006 on 13 dec. I found that my car was lag on 1st gear, but after gear 2 , the power is back and willing to boost. Is this normal and si fus please advise me on this issue please.

christopher ngo;935711 said:
Hi , i just collect my car e60 523i 2006 on 13 dec. I found that my car was lag on 1st gear, but after gear 2 , the power is back and willing to boost. Is this normal and si fus please advise me on this issue please.

U nv test drive ur car before u buy? Thought it is normal for all luxury car?

For responsive car, go for vw. I still prefer vw even though my wife prefers bimmers

Very soon you will feel a jerk when you try to accelerate from slow speed to fast.
Some of the solenoid valves in the transmission likely gone case liao.....

Just sent my car to BCC Automotive toh tuck road. The technician test drive abd advise to replace ATF and filter. Anyway my car is under warranty for a year , if damage just ask them replace.

Hi Shinigaimi, did not receive your pm...:)

Bro Luboil, the jerky feel was minimized after replace ATF and filter. Test im Malaysia road about 1000km++ feel still acceptable cannot ask for perfect for old gearbox and i dunno how the ex owner treat this car. So far no records of replace ATF on ex owner for 105k km .

I thought the E-gear and the previous types all uses cables? E-gear aka the GWS is only an actuator, and the transmission engagement is still controlled by the cable? Olden type uses the Gear lever itself to engage the gears via cable, whereas the E-gear aka GWS controls the cable without the operator having to 'mechanically' engage the gear position.

R2D;932919 said:
This is not the underlying reason.

This noise occurs only in E-gear models. With E-gear transmissions, the valvebody uses hydraulic pressure to activate the master selector for the hydraulic circuit. In the older manual selectors, there is a cable that runs down to the gearbox to perform this function. This selector also dis-engags the parking prawl of the gearbox to lock the transmission.

Since the new e-gear uses hydraulic fluid (a.k.a. ATF) to move the master cylinder, when your car is parked and off, the entire ATF system de-pressurises and all the valves inside the valvebody goes into free play. Its only when you start that the engine starts to turn the torque converter and the oil pump and this builds pressure and the valve body re-sets itself into the P position. This gives rise to the "clunk" that you hear.

Why this happens now is due to the wear of the valvebody and the ATF. The valves slide around inside the cylinders and this wears them out ever so slightly. With age, the ATF also thins out and thus when you switch off the engine, more of the stuff seeps pack into the pan, waiting for the next start.

If you wanna reduce the clunk, try refreshing the ATF and this should minimise the clunk. Or else, its a new valvebody....and that is not cheap.

Rod

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhoitvchat

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back