E60 Vibration when Idling?!?!

shiokS60

Fellow E60 bros,

I just took delivery of my car 12 days ago. When the car comes to a complete stop/ while idling i can immediately feel the car's vibration via my seat, brake pedal and steering. Not very big vibration but it is more than my previous 4.5 yrs old E46 with 97k mileage.

Anyone who just collected their car and got this similar problem? :mad:

Re: E60 Vibration when Idling?!?!

IMHO,

The engine is prob a little tight since it's so new. The additional friction caused by tighter piston rings is reducing the idle torque of the engine and thus you feel a little more vibration. Drive around for 1-2k KM, change the oil and then decide if it's really an issue.

cheers

shiokS60;450182 said:
Fellow E60 bros,

I just took delivery of my car 12 days ago. When the car comes to a complete stop/ while idling i can immediately feel the car's vibration via my seat, brake pedal and steering. Not very big vibration but it is more than my previous 4.5 yrs old E46 with 97k mileage.

Yes my E60 523 also vibrates when idling. The RPM is stable but like you, I feel the vibration in the seat, and steering and there is the droning noise.

So is yours solved or anyone else has had the problem and solved it? Please share the solution. Thanks.

It seems like quite a common problem for E60...
Idle vibrations E39 540i - United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

According to the above link, it's caused by the the exhaust mounting.
[FONT=&quot]In the US there is a service bulletin issued for this problem:
"Service Bulletin 18 02 08

Customer may complain of a slight vibration and/or droning noise when the vehicle is idling in park, neutral, drive and reverse when engine is at operating temperature.

CAUSE
Insufficient vibration dampening of the exhaust system.

PROCEDURE
1.Verify the complaint. Vibration/droning is most prevalent when engine is at operating temperature.

2.Remove the lower bracket for the exhaust system. If droning/vibration is gone, proceed to step three. If vibration/droning still exists with the lower bracket removed; continue troubleshooting exhaust/driveline for other causes or conditions

3.Remove complete bracket assembly and replace it with the bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 346 using two new ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 905 417. Tighten to 21Nm.
Install front pipe bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 347 with four rubber bushings (2) (PN 18 20 7 546 579) to the new 346 bracket with two ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 904 559) and two nuts (PN 07 12 9 904 580). Tighten down to 21Nm

[/FONT]

shiokS60;450182 said:
Fellow E60 bros,

Based on my last 3 cars' experience:

Lexus IL-6: Idling no vibration, quiet
BMW IL-6: Idling with vibration that can be felt and heard
Merc V6: Idling no vibration, quiet

The vibrations felt in BMW's 6-potters on idle are palpable and real.

astrid;502341 said:
Based on my last 3 cars' experience:

Lexus IL-6: Idling no vibration, quiet
BMW IL-6: Idling with vibration that can be felt and heard
Merc V6: Idling no vibration, quiet

The vibrations felt in BMW's 6-potters on idle are palpable and real.

The BMW IL-6 is very smooth once above 700rpm. The vibration only happens at the idle speed of 600-650rpm. Anyway, I'll be sending the car in to PML. See if they can solve it.

Based on the long list of known problems with bimmers, we should not even consider buying a BMW...but in reality, we normally follow what our heart desires ...

Based on my last 4 cars, Nissan is the most reliable...3 yrs without a single problem...

leebmer;502377 said:
Based on the long list of known problems with bimmers, we should not even consider buying a BMW...but in reality, we normally follow what our heart desires ...

Based on my last 4 cars, Nissan is the most reliable...3 yrs without a single problem...
nissan 350Z?

long time no see bro

kinggo;502300 said:
Yes my E60 523 also vibrates when idling. The RPM is stable but like you, I feel the vibration in the seat, and steering and there is the droning noise.

So is yours solved or anyone else has had the problem and solved it? Please share the solution. Thanks.

It seems like quite a common problem for E60...
Idle vibrations E39 540i - United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

According to the above link, it's caused by the the exhaust mounting.
[FONT=&quot]In the US there is a service bulletin issued for this problem:
"Service Bulletin 18 02 08

Customer may complain of a slight vibration and/or droning noise when the vehicle is idling in park, neutral, drive and reverse when engine is at operating temperature.

CAUSE
Insufficient vibration dampening of the exhaust system.

PROCEDURE
1.Verify the complaint. Vibration/droning is most prevalent when engine is at operating temperature.

2.Remove the lower bracket for the exhaust system. If droning/vibration is gone, proceed to step three. If vibration/droning still exists with the lower bracket removed; continue troubleshooting exhaust/driveline for other causes or conditions

3.Remove complete bracket assembly and replace it with the bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 346 using two new ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 905 417. Tighten to 21Nm.
Install front pipe bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 347 with four rubber bushings (2) (PN 18 20 7 546 579) to the new 346 bracket with two ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 904 559) and two nuts (PN 07 12 9 904 580). Tighten down to 21Nm

[/FONT]

Sorry wrong link above........

here is the correct one to the Idle Vibrations on E60

vibration at idle 2007 525 - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

kinggo;502373 said:
The BMW IL-6 is very smooth once above 700rpm. The vibration only happens at the idle speed of 600-650rpm.

Trivia: The current Merc 3L V6 engine (found in the 2009/10 C280 and E300) idles at 500-550 rpm, depending on ambient air temperature and humidity.

Even at 500 rpm idling, there is no hint of any vibration at all.

i think u guys shld send the car in for a check. my 325 never had vibrations at idling speeds.

with regards to merc, its a known fact that they have noiser engines then bimmers, irregardless of which series it is. dun believe me? go floor an equivalent merc and BMW models and let me know ur verdict.

Slater;502459 said:
i think u guys shld send the car in for a check. my 325 never had vibrations at idling speeds.

with regards to merc, its a known fact that they have noiser engines then bimmers, irregardless of which series it is. dun believe me? go floor an equivalent merc and BMW models and let me know ur verdict.

Not any more lah! Your knowledge base a bit outdated.

I have both BMW's M54 2.5L IL6 and MB's current M272 V6 3L cars.
The M272 is very refined, even at high RPMs, compared to the M54.

However, I do agree that the MB engines pre-2006 are noisy. Their 4-potters back then were the worst, sounding like diesel engines. But like I say, not any more.

Talking about that, BMW's N43 engine found in the 320i is noisy like hell. No need to rev. Just walk past one on idle ...

my E60 LCI also vibrate, idle at 550rpm~ for a few mths, quite frustrated as car new shld not have such vibration feel at all, not to say its a V6
my counter-measure? install some resonating exhaust...to get my mind over what matters....
now happy like sH*t ... couple with Velocity...life will never be the same..

astrid;502493 said:
Not any more lah! Your knowledge base a bit outdated.

I have both BMW's M54 2.5L IL6 and MB's current M272 V6 3L cars.
The M272 is very refined, even at high RPMs, compared to the M54.

However, I do agree that the MB engines pre-2006 are noisy. Their 4-potters back then were the worst, sounding like diesel engines. But like I say, not any more.

Talking about that, BMW's N43 engine found in the 320i is noisy like hell. No need to rev. Just walk past one on idle ...
no leh, each morning my neighbours 6 month old S class drives by, machiam like aeroplane with whinning noise. sounds like remote control car.

JLMC;502504 said:
my E60 LCI also vibrate, idle at 550rpm~ for a few mths, quite frustrated as car new shld not have such vibration feel at all, not to say its a V6
my counter-measure? install some resonating exhaust...to get my mind over what matters....
now happy like sH*t ... couple with Velocity...life will never be the same..

Did you bring it up to PML?

Mine has vibration and boomy sound when idling regardless of whether transmission is in N, P, D or S and regardless of whether the aircon is on or off. Engine idle rpm is stable.

Apparently, (in Bimmerfest forum), it is actually due to the mounting of the exhaust system and there is a service bulletin to rectify it. Have already made an appointment with PML to bring my car in. My concern is they may brush the it off as NORMAL!

Was hoping to hear from anyone in this forum who has had the problem solved ........

astrid;502493 said:

tis one i agree wholeheartedly. quite disappointed with n46 being so loud. worse than a diesel van. but luckily soundproofing in e90 quite good so when inside with doors and windows closed, it sounds quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

My E60 has just reached the 2k mileage and so far, did not notice any vibration....

kinggo;502568 said:
Did you bring it up to PML?

Mine has vibration and boomy sound when idling regardless of whether transmission is in N, P, D or S and regardless of whether the aircon is on or off. Engine idle rpm is stable.

Apparently, (in Bimmerfest forum), it is actually due to the mounting of the exhaust system and there is a service bulletin to rectify it. Have already made an appointment with PML to bring my car in. My concern is they may brush the it off as NORMAL!

Was hoping to hear from anyone in this forum who has had the problem solved ........
there has been some post with regards to this n i also chk E60 forum in USA, they drove those 535, 550 n also got 525 series...all say got vibration, so i accpet this fact, BMW V6 r not as silky smooth as Nissan's V6, even compare to other continental like Audi or Merc, E60 V6 still lack in this area to control vibration. :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:
but heck! when u whack it, what vibration? if i want no vibration, at standstill, i will go for Toyota/Lexus. They r the best.
but if u want some omp, n raw sounded power...BMW still holds the best next to Ferrari
:slaphead:

JLMC;502979 said:
there has been some post with regards to this n i also chk E60 forum in USA, they drove those 535, 550 n also got 525 series...all say got vibration, so i accpet this fact, BMW V6 r not as silky smooth as Nissan's V6, even compare to other continental like Audi or Merc, E60 V6 still lack in this area to control vibration. :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:
but heck! when u whack it, what vibration? if i want no vibration, at standstill, i will go for Toyota/Lexus. They r the best.
but if u want some omp, n raw sounded power...BMW still holds the best next to Ferrari
btw BMW uses an inline 6 not V6. in terms of smoothness confirm V6 smoother. but why the heck r we talking about smoothness or vibrations here? as though the inline 6 is not smooth enough. the whole point of the inline 6 is to provide power delivery and responsiveness which is the hall mark of BMW.

like u said, if want real smooth get a freakin lexus

JLMC;502979 said:
Actually IL6 is inherently balance as compared to V6. There is no end to end & vertical vibration

For V6, it is only 60 deg or 90 deg is vertically balance. However, it still needs counter balancing shaft to eliminated end to end vibration.

That's why IL6 continue to receive high praise.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclub777

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back