E90 320 or A4 1.8T?

Hi, folks. I'd like to pick your brains for a bit. I'm stuck having to make a choice between an E90 320 and a 2005 A4 1.8T (S Line edition with the S suspensions). Like a kid in a candy store, my eyes are glazed and I'm not sure wot to get. :yummie:

Which do you guys think is the better of the two in terms of reliability, handling, consumption, servicing, resale value etc? The 1.8T seems to have better performance stats than the 320. Anyone had the opportunity of having owned both marques?

I have the occasional lead foot and, like all of us, prefer something that's nimble and can dart about in our city traffic. :twisted: Also, I'm not a serious modder, so I probably won't add too many bells and whistles to it either. So, wot does the collective wisdom say? Thanks, guys!

Re: E90 320 or A4 1.8T?

Not a serious modder? That's what you say now, haha...

There's plenty of potential for both cars, although I'd say the 1.8T VAG engine is more established for modding...

Both are nice cars that appeal to different people. Audi interiors are nicer (my personal view) and that's the only thing I think it has over a BMW. Rear wheel drive, superb handling, overall balance is what you will get from a BMW. In terms of handling, I don't think they are in the same league...

So it depends on your own priorities...

Hi there!

I shall try my few cents worth..........

reliability: probably comparable. but audi may have slight upper hand

handling: BMW of course

consumption: BMW 320 very frugale esp with valvetronic.. 1.8T being turbo i think consumes more

servicing: there is a huge ruckus going on in another thread... sad to say sometimes PML aftersales service is disappointing. Audi service is much better.

resale value: nowadays with the horrendous state of the used car market.... i wonder if any car has any "resale" value?

my thots.....

if you want something different, with mod potential, gd build - Audi
if you want pure badge and driving dynamics - BMW.

Cheers!

Yeah, I kinda felt the Audi may not handle as well given its FWD setup... That would certainly be something to bear in mind. And thanks for the heads up on the aftersales servicing. Just took a look at the other threads. Pretty crappy and not very inspiring...

Jaskin, there're 3 versions, the 2.0MU, 1.8T and the 2.0T FSI. The latter's supposed to be the cream of the crop while the 2.0MU would be the entry-level plain vanilla one. I thot the 1.8T was worth the look at b'cos the 2.0T FSI costs a kidney and then some (RRP ~ $180K).

Hi, it really depends on what you want.
Forget branding (badge appeal) as its subjective and forget resale (what resale in Sillipore?).

Do you want:

Longitundinally mounted inline-4 + RWD (E90 320)
OR
Transversly mounted inline-4 + FWD (A4 1.8t)

Handling
OR
Straight line acceleration, 0-100 stuffs

IMHO, there will always be a faster car. But power without control is nothing.
I had an excellent FWD conti that will smoke the 320 on acceleration. But I can honestly say that the 320 will smoke my ex-ride in the handling stakes.

RWD handling is not just a marketing gimmick... hand to heart. It is true that RWD is better in the twisties.

i would go for 320...
the audi is faster cz its a 1.8T
handling n consumption goes to 320i
btw how much diff in price??

achtung said:
Hi, it really depends on what you want.
Forget branding (badge appeal) as its subjective and forget resale (what resale in Sillipore?).

Do you want:

Longitundinally mounted inline-4 + RWD (E90 320)
OR
Transversly mounted inline-4 + FWD (A4 1.8t)

Handling
OR
Straight line acceleration, 0-100 stuffs

IMHO, there will always be a faster car. But power without control is nothing.
I had an excellent FWD conti that will smoke the 320 on acceleration. But I can honestly say that the 320 will smoke my ex-ride in the handling stakes.

RWD handling is not just a marketing gimmick... hand to heart. It is true that RWD is better in the twisties.

Hey Achtung,

I wonder if I know u? Did u just recently got ur new ride? Like yesterday? ;-)

I've just come off the original passat 1.8T so....

For the Audi 1.8T
- the 1.8T is one of the most econonical powerplants, easily giving you more than enough power than you need (even for tracking), through a variety of aftermarket upgrades
- pay lower road tax (1.8L), but slightly higher in insurance for the turbo spec
- the vag group make good transmissions, overbuilt and long lasting

Against the Audi 1.8T
- all vag cars are nose heavy, stiffening and lowering the suspension works but at the expense of comfort
- there is still a turbo lag, which is very noticeable on hot days, where the car becomes extremely sluggish
- front wheel drive means you'll have to struggle through the turn with the power you've got

Frankly, if you're really interested in driving, you should make it a point to drive BOTH. They are fundamentally different designs giving rise to its corresponding strengths and weaknesses.

If you're on the young side and see your driving education continuing, I'd say go for the "power trip" and enjoy the thrills..... you can enjoy the handling bit anytime in your life.:)

The Mazda MX-5 is turbo and rear wheel drive... best of both world.. no???

hmm.. i thnk only the old version was a Turbo, and the Turbo was a limited production run car too.
(As well as a limited production run MX5 Turbo Hardtop Coupe)

New MX5s are NA

Thanks guys for the feedback. If either the A4 was a RWD or the 320 had more juice in it, the choice between the two would've been easier. I'm wondering if one can actually fully enjoy the 320's great handling without feeling it's a tad underpowered..

Oomph sez:

"...If you're on the young side and see your driving education continuing, I'd say go for the "power trip" and enjoy the thrills..... you can enjoy the handling bit anytime in your life.:)"

That's pretty sensible advice, dude. I've done the 'power trip' thinggy - the last set of wheels was a 220BHP Fiat Coupe Turbo. The problem is all those horses are very addictive and makes one wish stock cars should have at least 200BHP as standard... :yummie:

BTW, anyone know wot's the latest price tag on the 320, after the usual discounts? Thanks.

hmm, there was a 320 outside my house today waiting to pick someone up... could have sworn it sounded like a diesel engine inside..

but i would consider the 1.8T... with some modding, can be turned into a seriously fast car, enough to take on 3 litre bmws..

whereas you would be lucky if you could squeeze double digit hp gains out of a 320i, without resorting to FI.

but if you like handling, definitely the BMW... but to me, the basic minimum BMW i would ever consider would be one with a I6 engine. i.e. 323i.

I will choose the Audi 1.8T for sheer power gain. And I have heard nothing but praises for Premium Autos in after-sales service.

T6 said:
I will choose the Audi 1.8T for sheer power gain. And I have heard nothing but praises for Premium Autos in after-sales service.

You never choose the Audi 1.8T but Golf GTI 2.0T .....:)
I also choose Audi 1.8T over BMW 320 unless the BMW is an IL6 with electric everything and below $140k ....swee swee.:yummie:

Longshanks,

I am fortunate enough to own both brands before. My honest no bullshit advice, if u are the "power gang" type as ur last car was a Fiat Coupe Turbo, forget about the 320i. I bought the 318i with 7 less horses from the current 320i, it does not have enough juice and u will keep looking for more thru upgrades which isn't any within 6 months and thats how long i own my 318i. Btw the PML legendary services is "outstanding" and being the least expensive car in their mighty selection of cars, u can expect nothing from their services.

On the other hand Premium Auto aftersales is one of the best I ever encountered. I no longer drive a Audi but the thing I miss most is their aftersales services! Audi 1.8T engine and gearbox is over engineered and we can easily push the power to about 200bhp with just a ecu reflash with no hardware involved. Go for MTM stage 3 and u will have about 230bhp to play with.....kekekeke

If u want rear-wheel drive car, get a 325i or 330i at least (my bro have one, he is full of praise of it). 218bhp or 258bhp shld be enough for u right?:) If budget is a constraint, buy a Golf GTI as what A62 recommended.

Cheers!

Hi,

then look at the A4 1.8TQM. 1.8Turbo engine and Quattro(all wheel drive), and Mannual.....lots of mod potential........

cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back