E90 fuel tank leaking issue

knights

Dear All,

Need some advice here. Having a '09 E90 (70550km) with a fuel tank leaking out of sudden. PML replaced the entire plastic fuel tank and bill came close to 2.1k. After written to Sime Darby to complaint they decided to reimburse $600+ just for the plastic fuel tank part no (16117283798) cost excluding labour charges and misc. Is this being reasonable? As this issue concern safety and in no way should be consider wear & tear condition. I am rather reluctant to accept as i think PML should bear full cost in this case. Pls advice thanks.

Re: E90 fuel tank leaking issue

why do u think it should not be wear & tear?

and u still have warranty?

RealOEM.com   BMW E90N 320i Fuel tank/mounting parts

Cannot tell from realoem on actual part cost.

(1) The costs might be inclusive of every other supporting parts with the fuel tank. These might well be wear and tear items.

(2) Did they quote the estimated costs before proceeding? Did you check with them how much the final bill will come up to be before proceeding?

What is the cause for the tank leak?
Loosen mounting?
Corrosion?
or too much fuel cleaner/additive add inside tank?

No warranty. Have not heard of fuel tank leak issue out of nowhere. If it's wear & tear then it will be a serious problem as it's a safety hazard.
breakdown as: perform vehicle test $25
perform vehicle diagnosis $125
charging battery $12.5
replace fuel tank $625
top up petrol 32L $72
plastic fuel tank $1211

Yup they did estimate the cost to be around 2+k but honestly i think fuel tank leak is a major issue. just need some advice here.

knights said:
No warranty. Have not heard of fuel tank leak issue out of nowhere. If it's wear & tear then it will be a serious problem as it's a safety hazard.
breakdown as: perform vehicle test $25
perform vehicle diagnosis $125
charging battery $12.5
replace fuel tank $625
top up petrol 32L $72
plastic fuel tank $1211

Yup they did estimate the cost to be around 2+k but honestly i think fuel tank leak is a major issue. just need some advice here.

I am lost here.

Are you asking if

(1) wear and tear issues on fuel tank is reasonable; or
(2) the part costs or total bill is reasonable; or
(3) the $600+ refund is reasonable?

Sorry to confuse. As I have never heard of fuel tank leak hence unwilling to accept the fact. Thou Pml agree to bear half price for the plastic fuel tank but I still think they should absorb all. Coz I don't think it's due to any wear n tear here. I mean if this is a common issue then I will accept and close the case. But searching thru forum don't seem to have much details on this issue. Do u think I should just accept or write to BMW HQ customer service to alert them?

christopher ngo;1086055 said:
What is the cause for the tank leak?
Loosen mounting?
Corrosion?
or too much fuel cleaner/additive add inside tank?
Total stock car no additive whatsoever. Only normal petrol fill.

Fuel tank leak is serious, good to get it fixed for S$2.1k than face safety issues esp fuel tank at the rear if you fetch rear passengers etc.

You decided to fix it at PML that charge AD prices, did you check with outside WS first?

knights;1086047 said:
Dear All,

Need some advice here. Having a '09 E90 (70550km) with a fuel tank leaking out of sudden. PML replaced the entire plastic fuel tank and bill came close to 2.1k. After written to Sime Darby to complaint they decided to reimburse $600+ just for the plastic fuel tank part no (16117283798) cost excluding labour charges and misc. Is this being reasonable? As this issue concern safety and in no way should be consider wear & tear condition. I am rather reluctant to accept as i think PML should bear full cost in this case. Pls advice thanks.

Look on the bright side - you caught it early and both you and car are ok.

Others may not be so lucky... cheers...

anything at PML will cost more(seriously). move on.

Next time, change to proton like me. Fuel tank replacement only cost $200+, can change every year as hobby. If go JB and change, lagi cheap MYR $200+ only.

My previous fuel tank leaked at its 90k mark. It was after I did this half corner wheelie thing and some thing popped.

Came back and smelt petrol at the car park.

Next morning drove to a site sponsor workshop. And it was the collar locking nut cracked. Showed me what was leaking with the car hoisted and all. Pointed to the exact spot and molested the plastic tank for any anomalies. Not fuel tank ..... Saw it with my own eyes .....

Called eng soon etc .... All no stock. Called PML - 2 weeks from Malaysia. $200.

According to the WS - tank rarely gone. Unless you got torpedoed or spooned by some huge mother of all rocks pointy thing ......

Went home ...... The WS also don't want that petrol leaking ride sitting in their workshop .......

2 weeks later - drove back - and got it replaced. 1 hour job.

Just relating my experience ..........

nicholasl;1086408 said:
Just to check, is the leak a slow one or a bad leak?

How do u start noticing it

Usually it's the smell - from the cracked / leaky gas tank.

nicholasl;1086408 said:
Just to check, is the leak a slow one or a bad leak?

How do u start noticing it

pump full tank have not drive the car and when i wanted to drive it after 1 day, fuel gauge show below 3/4 tank.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuebt788com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back