e90 lifespan

Thinkbig

Hi everyone. Due to the high COE prices, I'm thinking of renewing my COE when it expires in 2018.

It's now at 107,000km (5 year old e90 [2008]). Regularly serviced, change all/any parts that needs replacement and plan to do that for the next few years.

I'm guessing I'll hit 200,000km in 5 years time (when it expires).

I'm wondering if it'll be a good idea to 'extend' the COE. Not sure how long and far can the car run after that.

Any thoughts?

Re: e90 lifespan

2018 then decide lar
imho, if 200k+ mileage, i will not renew coe
by 2018, bmw i series come liao :D

TS
dun think too far..
i am driving E90 2005- near 170km liao...
everything still as smooth, just some frames are harden so during bumpy road will have irritating noise.

Would Iove to buy a brand new bimmer in 5 years, but may not be able to afford it due to many reasons - funds for investment, property, retirement, kids, etc. Sigh COE

Its also a question of timing and some calculation. You will have to forgo your whatever remaining scrap value. If example your OMV x 55% + around $2000 for car body value , that is roughly how much you are giving up. Add the amount to renew COE and u get the total depreciation cost for 10 years. Unless COE drops to under 10k and your OMV is low otherwise its better to change car.

I think TS is saying he has better things to do with his cash than pay taxes. Some people will rather use cash towards opportunity cost than depreciation and taxes.

Unless you planning to use the car purchase as a tax shield.

Dun think too much bro. 2018 still long way 2 go. Bt if u thinking of renew coe if coe still high then might s well get a cheaper option. Jap or korean cars r getting better n if u r thinking juz a point a to b transport then y nt. The repar cost plus renew coe can get u a new car tat can last long

everything irrelevant if TS has special sentimental reason/s to keep the car

Mine is 06 sep and 210,000km already. Still runs like a charm. Anyway, 16 is still a long way to go. What goes up must come down.

bro,
I'm sure you are thinking too much. its only 2013 now. 2015 maybe CPF board run and 2016 maybe change govt liao.

Thinkbig;1048356 said:
Hi everyone. Due to the high COE prices, I'm thinking of renewing my COE when it expires in 2018.

It's now at 107,000km (5 year old e90 [2008]). Regularly serviced, change all/any parts that needs replacement and plan to do that for the next few years.

I'm guessing I'll hit 200,000km in 5 years time (when it expires).

I'm wondering if it'll be a good idea to 'extend' the COE. Not sure how long and far can the car run after that.

Any thoughts?

Hi TS,

u think far indeed. haha..there r other owners whose car are due soon, esp 2004 or 2005 owners. So maybe this question should be more directed to them instead.

However just a few points I want to share...
Cars are made to travel long distances...our typical 20-25k km a year is under utilised if the car today was used in Germany or in EU. If I am right, their usual mileage a year could easily be around 80-100k km. So our 200k km by 2018 is no issue, especially if you regularly maintain your ride.
renewing COE instead of buying a car..this really depends on a few factors...
1) sentimental value?
2) the cost to replace the parts to keep the car going Versus to a brand new car with COE?
3) would you still have that physical attraction to your car after 10 years where you know there r more sexy rides out there like the i versions...
4) price of COE at that point of time. Yes, it would be cost effective to renew if COE was drop dead low..but then again, with it being so low, why not scrap the car, get the 55%, use it for your trade in amount to offset the new car?
5) If all else fails....maybe can consider the leasing scheme? hehe..

my two cents worth..hope it helps.

that's 5 yrs down the road. maybe 5 yrs down the road u will be living on a 3mio dollar yatch n hv a driver...n hv no cares for cars. maybe u kenna langa n lose 2 legs n 3 arms n hv no cares for cars too....maybe u kenna super duper hurricane that crossed over to the pacific after hitting NY n blow all the way across land n hit LA n then Hawaii n then down Philippines brunei n finally make landfall in Singapore....5 yrs down the road maybe WP wins election and abolishes COE....maybe low thia kiang becomes the new IDI AMIN...and he hates E90 so much that none r allowed on the roads?. maybe 5 yrs time...ur wife has affair in the car...n u hate E90s too?! n u prefer bicycles cos then wife cannot hv affair!!

maybe GU KAN GAO?!

totoseow;1048401 said:
that's 5 yrs down the road. maybe 5 yrs down the road u will be living on a 3mio dollar yatch n hv a driver...n hv no cares for cars. maybe u kenna langa n lose 2 legs n 3 arms n hv no cares for cars too....maybe u kenna super duper hurricane that crossed over to the pacific after hitting NY n blow all the way across land n hit LA n then Hawaii n then down Philippines brunei n finally make landfall in Singapore....5 yrs down the road maybe WP wins election and abolishes COE....maybe low thia kiang becomes the new IDI AMIN...and he hates E90 so much that none r allowed on the roads?. maybe 5 yrs time...ur wife has affair in the car...n u hate E90s too?! n u prefer bicycles cos then wife cannot hv affair!!

maybe GU KAN GAO?!

5years time...maybe you have second kid and grow a bit taller.....??

chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssss

pengful;1048381 said:
Mine is 06 sep and 210,000km already. Still runs like a charm. Anyway, 16 is still a long way to go. What goes up must come down.

Bro

Care to share what r the things broken down and replaced from 100k to 200k? Mine now is 130k+ Heez/

No one talk about the additional 50% road tax cost for 10yr car?

This is actually a quality question posted by TS yet cb totoseow come and suan siao. I hope his lambo go into bukit timah canal today!

MW;1048411 said:
This is actually a quality question posted by TS yet cb totoseow come and suan siao. I hope his lambo go into bukit timah canal today!

Raining a lot these days... and ponding. Heard lambos are low.... can float or not?

Red_Bean_Bun;1048361 said:
With regular maintenance ..... The e90 can run almost forever .......

correct, all cars are made to run for more than 10 years (Hyundai, BMW, Merc, Toyota, Audi and Ford mechanics told me one. I never hao lian my family owned these cars before).

Problem with us is we just drive happily until service time then go oil change but fail to inspect and check on things while they are STILL working, such as aircon compressor, belts, bushes, brakes, ignition coil, spark plugs, light bulbs etc etc.

Each time u send for service to a RELIABLE workshop or just drive into any GOOD workshop, you should pay for diagnostics of various components of the car to see whether they are wearing out or going to up lorry soon.

When I was at R2D, Rod told me his old E46's aircon compressor has never broken down before...knn my E60 one spoilt in 3 yrs. He told me u need to take out to clean and lubricate it and also re-new aircon gas. A few hundred bucks to do this and u save a couple of thousands when u change compressor, especially when fresh out of warranty

This is called Preventive Maintenance.

With Preventive Maintenance, I think all cars can really run a great many years but then CNY time your aunties will say "AH BOY AHH, you still driving old model ahh? My boy boy just bought new MarCeeLee"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gemwinnavy

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back