E90 Rear Differential Oil

Derrrick Yap

Hi Guys, can anyone advise which grade to use to replace the rear differential oil of E90.
75w90 or 75w140?

Re: E90 Rear Differential Oil

am doing inspection I tomorrow, will check it out at the service counter...

Derrrick Yap;656072 said:
Hi Guys, can anyone advise which grade to use to replace the rear differential oil of E90.
75w90 or 75w140?

Hey Derrick,

Not sure what brand you're planning on using, but based on what a lot of the BMW tuners use, I would go with Redline Oil. See here,
Red Line Synthetic Oil - BMW: What Red Line Products Do I Need?

Depends on whether you have an LSD in your setup or not. If you don't, 75W90. Don't forget, when you're changing it, make sure that the fluid doesn't get on your clothes. That stuff is stinky as shit, and no matter what you do, the smell just doesn't go away.

I called these guys,
Kai Guan Company | NTN Bearings | Red Line Oil
No.3 Upper Aljunied Link #01-03
Block B, Joo Seng Warehouse
Singapore 367902
Tel: +65 6382 3003

They have 1 quart (946ml) for $21 or so. Your differential probably will need just less than 2 bottles. Be sure to also change the crush washers on the fill and drain plugs. They are one time use only.

Martin.

Bro,

I have this stupid sound, the Whistling or Whining sound on my E90 320i Pre FL....and beleive that the Rear Diffrential/Final Drive needs to be changed.
Some claim that changing the Rear Diff oil will help mask the sound, any comments on this?

Thanks.

What is the recommended service interval for the differential oil? Same as ATF change interval?

Again BMW claims it lifetime oil and no change is required and thats what my mechanic told me too....Somehow I dont believe that.. I think it 75w90..

zorro;667645 said:
Again BMW claims it lifetime oil and no change is required and thats what my mechanic told me too....Somehow I dont believe that.. I think it 75w90..
Bro Zorro.

Agree with you there....IMHO 100K would be a good milestone....as it is considered a Major Milestone service.

Cheers

I completely agree. "Lifetime Oil" is a load of marketing bullshit. I had a friend with an E46. On his transmission, it had a sticker that specifically said, "Lifetime transmission fluid, do not change." At the time we drained his fluid, he had nearly 160K on his odometer. And wouldn't you know, the fluid came out black. Mind you, his car had never been tracked. BLACK i'm telling you.

Anyway, we promptly filled up his transmission with Redline Oil ATF. Shifting was nearly a night and day difference. Holy cow.

All this to say, "Lifetime Oil" is not really "lifetime." Personally, I would swap the rear diff fluid every 150K or so. And yes, unless you're running an LSD, use the 75W90.

Monfreeze Archangel;667638 said:
Bro,

I have this stupid sound, the Whistling or Whining sound on my E90 320i Pre FL....and beleive that the Rear Diffrential/Final Drive needs to be changed.
Some claim that changing the Rear Diff oil will help mask the sound, any comments on this?

Thanks.

hey bro when u say this whining sound, how does it sound like?

mine sounds like woooooooooo especially speeds around 20-50kph and even more obvious when slowing down

maybe because i have brake energy regeneration (new 2011 E90 LCI). but i'm pretty sure my old E90 (pre-FL) did NOT have this sound.

detach8;668285 said:
hey bro when u say this whining sound, how does it sound like?

mine sounds like woooooooooo especially speeds around 20-50kph and even more obvious when slowing down

maybe because i have brake energy regeneration (new 2011 E90 LCI). but i'm pretty sure my old E90 (pre-FL) did NOT have this sound.
Yes Bro,

That is about right, stupid sound especially when you have the windows done...very obvious on low speed...mine starts around 40km/h and gets louder till about 100km/h. Was adviced to get the rear Diff/Final drive unit changed, but no Guarantee that the sound will not come back. Trial and error kinda solution. To me this Seems it is a common problem with the E90s (majority with the Pre FL/non LCI). Many of the treads here also indicate the same.
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/10990-e90-finaldrive.html
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-w...-323-whining-sound-between-70km-h-85km-h.html
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/5702-help-whistling-noise-e90.html

just wanted to find an option, whether if changing the rear Diff oil had helped anyone on this matter.

Cheers.

Maybe let's meet up and hear the noise together. Argh... u stay east side.

yes Bro,

Seems like a good idea.

I am in Pasir Ris....currently travelling and should be back this weekend. lets see if we can catch up this weekend. :)

Cheers.

Hey bro how about a NDP catchup? :p Short one, since wife wants to go out in the noon.

Sorry to OT ~~

May I know e mileage used before u all change the oil?

Im planning to replace it @ every 30k usage & gear oil @ every 20k usage.. (akan datang)

Cheers ~~ :)

do you mean changing ATF oil at 20k/30k milleage? it's abit overkill la.
i reckon 40k (at least) or 50k (just nice)

tomace;671198 said:
Sorry to OT ~~

May I know e mileage used before u all change the oil?

Im planning to replace it @ every 30k usage & gear oil @ every 20k usage.. (akan datang)

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;671211 said:
do you mean changing ATF oil at 20k/30k milleage? it's abit overkill la.
i reckon 40k (at least) or 50k (just nice)

Sorry ~~

I mean:

replace ATF @ every 20k usage & differential oil @ every 30k usage.

Overkill?? My previous ride was every 10k usage (CVT oil)

My diff is starting to make more and more noise. I'm tempted to drive to Munich and ask them to replace it under warranty. Bro Monfreeze, you wanna meet up?

I made an appt with Munich Auto. Will be brining down tomorrow morning around 8-9AM. Let's see what they diagnose.

Derrrick Yap;656072 said:
75w90 or 75w140?

I just changed my rear diff oil at one of the sponsor workshops in BMW SG. The receipt did not write the oil grade but our rear diff oil must be for LSD one then is suitable. From my very limited knowledge, our cars does come with LSD but a super basic 1 way type.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back