Exhaust Smoke

MaVrk

Hi Guys,

Just wanna check to see if an abnormal amount of exhause smoke coming from the exhaust pipe is a sign of things to come?

Coz of late, been noticing that there's quite a considerable amount of smoke coming out. Is this something to do with time for engine oil change, etc etc.

Between, i'm sure most of the e90 owners are experiencing the tuck tuck sounds coming from the expansion of your exhaust everytime you stop your after a short or long drive (thats wat i kinda think it is, been trying to narrow where this silly tuck sounds are coming from). Is there any we could eliminate this irrating sounds? (e.g thermal wrap the whole damn exhaust system with some special heat insulator material etc). Used to drive E46, then moved on with E90, friggin didnt expect e90 to have such issues with tuck tuck sounds. Did a check on other mates continental cars, saab, audi, mercs..they dont seem to have an issue with that...even Lexus or Hondas dont seem to have this issue. Can anyone advise. Thanks in advance.

Re: Exhaust Smoke

MaVrk;379437 said:
Hi Guys,

Just wanna check to see if an abnormal amount of exhause smoke coming from the exhaust pipe is a sign of things to come?

Coz of late, been noticing that there's quite a considerable amount of smoke coming out. Is this something to do with time for engine oil change, etc etc.

Between, i'm sure most of the e90 owners are experiencing the tuck tuck sounds coming from the expansion of your exhaust everytime you stop your after a short or long drive (thats wat i kinda think it is, been trying to narrow where this silly tuck sounds are coming from). Is there any we could eliminate this irrating sounds? (e.g thermal wrap the whole damn exhaust system with some special heat insulator material etc). Used to drive E46, then moved on with E90, friggin didnt expect e90 to have such issues with tuck tuck sounds. Did a check on other mates continental cars, saab, audi, mercs..they dont seem to have an issue with that...even Lexus or Hondas dont seem to have this issue. Can anyone advise. Thanks in advance.

First things first, exhuast smoke is what colour? Black, white, blueish white ? Different colours mean different things, I only remember blueish white means water seeped into engine thru broken oil seals, etc. Black I cant remember....

As for the tuck tuck sounds, its pretty common lei, the cars I owned before all had this tuck sounds, just the degree of loudness varies. My civic FD had the loudest tuck sounds, due to expansion/contraction of some parts of the undercarriage, I think maybe exhuast ba.

But then again, urs maybe irritatingly loud, maybe U would like to have a kopi session, then maybe we could take a look and hear how bad it is.

:)

maybe recently have been raining... so got condensation...can see smokey smokey

like delrosa said, depends on the colour of the exhaust emission.

whitish - normal especially in cold weather. this is water vapour, by-product of combustion in the engine. but shouldn't be too much.

clouds of white smoke - could mean water in the engine. not good. broken seals, etc.

black smoke - sign of incomplete combustion. engine running too rich. AF mixture needs to be reset. or engine oil too thin. needs servicing.

as for the sounds, it's caused by the contraction of the metal on your car. nothing to worry about. since you have already switched off the engine, walk away. why stay behind to listen to the sound and let it irritate you?

i tink the 'tuck tuck' sound is very common for many cars.... i was also driving a civic fd ... the tuck tuck sound is damnnn loud... then to suzuki swift, also haf this sound... now... i still haf it.. but mine is old car liao....

i would suggest u monitor the clr of the smoke.. if it is black or white smoke, best is to go to a workshop liao.. u won't wan ya engine to be running too rich throughout.. and u wun wan to haf water in ya engine.... :)

Hi All,

Thanks for all your varying advice, i reckon i better send my car to PML for a thorough check. Got a whole lot of complaints that i'll list down and hopefully get them to rectify.

Anywez engine oil sign came on for the +1L top-up, reckon i might as well do a thorugh engine oil flush and clean, coz engine is getting a bit too noisy and rough. Prob head down PML next week to fix issues like whinny transmission(prob due to final drive), hard brakes in the morning, weird sounds coming from the aircon (creaking sounds) and damn stinky, esp loud sounds coming from the engine when starting up...wind noise extremely loud, etc.

Another weird thingy is that the shoulder of my left rear seats has begun to wrinkle...totally abnormal coz 1stly, dun really ferry passengers in the car...none of other seats have this weird looking wrinkle, and even if its wear and tear, should be on my drivers seat. Tried looking into other e90s, seems like i'm the only special and unique case. Will make a warranty claim on that, my rides' abt 2 years.

if you got need to top up engine oil and you got smoke, big chance of your oil being consumed by engine burnt out as white smoke. Too much oil is getting into your pistons and being burnt. Basically lube oil is getting burnt.

No wonder.....everytime i stop at a destination, and when door is open....there's always this friggin burning smell...geez...better have it checked out man..thanks for the info buddy...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back