FC went to the dogs after rebuilding gearbox!

gwumpkus

hi gurus. i've just rebuilt the gear box on my E36 318i...its now smooth as silk!..however, the damned FC has gone nuts!!..i'm now doing close to 6.5-7km per ltr!..when i used to do 8.5 consistently previously!!.. nothing else has been changed during the major op...in fact i did a 10k servicing at the same time, changing the oil, brake discs/pads, tie rod ball joints..

any clues? i'm monitored it for 500km already..driving patterns unchanged..

it seems reluctant to rev..the FC needle goes up, but engine rpm increases reluctantly...

sheesh man...what a crapper...

help help help appreciated...:)

thanx!

michael

FWIW, generally after every ATF change, the FC will suffer a little, but will improve as time goes on. Try monitoring for another month or so, i.e., after 1000km.

If it still doesn't improve, then check the fluid level, or try a re-flush. I'm assuming this is the 4-speed automatic gearbox?

Good luck.

emiffy said:
FWIW, generally after every ATF change, the FC will suffer a little, but will improve as time goes on. Try monitoring for another month or so, i.e., after 1000km.

If it still doesn't improve, then check the fluid level, or try a re-flush. I'm assuming this is the 4-speed automatic gearbox?

Good luck.

yeah emiffy..its a (dang!) 4-spd box..:).. i'm getting so frustrated with this (dang!) auto-tranny thingum..:p..hehhe..okok..admittedly cos i'm a little impatient on the rad..and would like to be able to throw my car around a little bit more....not to mention i've a SSK that needs a stick shift to mate onto!!!!!!!!.hahhah..:)

thanx for the tip..i'll monitor it for a bit...

cheers!

michael

emiffy said:

Good luck.
very curious, why do the FC suffer whenever ATF is change???

gwumpkus said:
emiffy said:

Good luck.

yeah emiffy..its a (dang!) 4-spd box..:).. i'm getting so frustrated with this (dang!) auto-tranny thingum..:p..hehhe..okok..admittedly cos i'm a little impatient on the rad..and would like to be able to throw my car around a little bit more....not to mention i've a SSK that needs a stick shift to mate onto!!!!!!!!.hahhah..:)

cheers!

michael
er.... whats is SSK ah??

snowman,

depends on whether it is a rebuild (i.e. keep the core, change all the hard/wear parts), or a reman (remanufactured, where the core is exchanged for another rebuilt gearbox, usually factory/assembly line, tested).

For rebuild, I think it's because the tolerances are tighter, so initial FC may suffer.

Similiarly, if you had changed just the ATF, you'll get harder shifting for a while before all the parts mate beautifully together.

Also, consider the psychological effect -- smoother shifting now, so right foot heavier -- leading to larger FC?

:)

SSK = short shift kit?

generally, for manual transmission cars?

or did gwumpkus also change the final gearing? :twisted: :thumbsup:

emiffy said:
snowman,

depends on whether it is a rebuild (i.e. keep the core, change all the hard/wear parts), or a reman (remanufactured, where the core is exchanged for another rebuilt gearbox, usually factory/assembly line, tested).

For rebuild, I think it's because the tolerances are tighter, so initial FC may suffer.

Similiarly, if you had changed just the ATF, you'll get harder shifting for a while before all the parts mate beautifully together.

Also, consider the psychological effect -- smoother shifting now, so right foot heavier -- leading to larger FC?

oh.... how abt if to change ATF on an original box, will it also affect the FC??

gwumpkus said:
emiffy said:

Good luck.

cheers!

michael
er...auto box can install SSK ah??

snowman,

change ATF on existing gearbox, I believe the first couple of 100s KM will show slightly harder shifts; will get better after a while. That was my experience on a MB W124 gearbox, and recently, a Ford Focus gear box (changed ATF at 60k km).

FYI.

emiffy said:
snowman,

change ATF on existing gearbox, I believe the first couple of 100s KM will show slightly harder shifts; will get better after a while. That was my experience on a MB W124 gearbox, and recently, a Ford Focus gear box (changed ATF at 60k km).

FYI.
but how come the shift will be harder when ATF is replace?? i thot it should be smoother as the oil is new???

snowman said:
gwumpkus said:
emiffy said:

Good luck.

cheers!

michael
er...auto box can install SSK ah??

hahhah!!..no lah...just that between some friends, we've got a whole bunch of parts to play with!!..hehheh..:)..inc the SSK..which obviously doesnt do squat for my AT !..:)..

emiffy said:
snowman,

yes in fact i considered that the shifting being smoother, my usual step may have become slightly more lead-footed!!.. but its not so much whether i gas it or not, rather than the RPM seemingly not willing to rise!..:).. spark plugs are 10000+km only..ngk's, 4-prong's..bmw originals (same as the ones used on the E46 4-potters i believe..)..so shouldnt be a prob..

i'll be monitoring it a little while more.. meanwhile..i think i'll just pull out the plugs and check on the condition..:p

thanx for advice !
cheers!

gwumpkus,
Hi, relax
I just changed my ATF last month for my e36 also. My FC for full tank dropped to ~460km from my usual at least 500km after the change.
Now back to ard 500km, however the rebuilt ATF is not as smooth as my previous ATF, especially the low gear when press hard on the accelerator :( gear change from 3rd to 4th is almost un-noticeable
Anyone can comment?

btw how much u pay for your ATF and which shop?
I paid $1,800 incl. ATF oil & GST.

johnhiggin said:
gwumpkus,
Hi, relax
I just changed my ATF last month for my e36 also. My FC for full tank dropped to ~460km from my usual at least 500km after the change.
Now back to ard 500km, however the rebuilt ATF is not as smooth as my previous ATF, especially the low gear when press hard on the accelerator :( gear change from 3rd to 4th is almost un-noticeable
Anyone can comment?

btw how much u pay for your ATF and which shop?
I paid $1,800 incl. ATF oil & GST.

hi johnhiggins,

strange thing is, the rebuilt tranny is silky smooth..much nicer than my old one..(which of course has since gone to the great chassis in the sky...after going into limp mode @ 20kph from sembawang all the way to Tampines workshop..)

yup..now its doing its 500km per tank thingum...it used to do 550km min.!! u're right about the low gear...just doesnt seem to pull...

i paid $3k +++ ..but that also includes 10k servicing, changing of some parts etc etc...

gwumpkus,
u got to let your new ATF run in for 1-2000km, believe the computer is learning the new setting.
Which workshop u went for yout ATF replacement? need to get second advise on my ATF jerky on low gear.

seem yr previous FC is very good 550km /tank
what your tyre size? stock 15" or 17"

johnhiggin said:
gwumpkus,
u got to let your new ATF run in for 1-2000km, believe the computer is learning the new setting.
Which workshop u went for yout ATF replacement? need to get second advise on my ATF jerky on low gear.

seem yr previous FC is very good 550km /tank
what your tyre size? stock 15" or 17"

well...the f**k**' computer sure is taking his bloody own time!..:) hehhe..

went to M&Q..

in fact, today i'm about to o back there again..the transmission light is ON again this morning..1st gear slips...3rd to 4th is reluctant... bloody hell.. i'm getting tired of this auto trans shit..

i'm running on humble 16" Type-43 rims...quite a common site on the E46's i believe... no appreciable diff between 15" and 16", except for the noise.. dunno about 17" though.. might have gotten some, if not for the blasted transmission job...

will let u know what else i find out later..:)..

cheers mate!

gwumpkus,

Hi Mikey....no wonder u were silent most of the days....
ABout ur FC..what Emiffy has mentioned is correct....after ATF changes or rebuilding of ur tranny it will effect ur FC in general.
There is no need for you to tinker with any other thing else..all u need to do is to drive more and gain speed gradually if u may.

Till then brahh..... :thumbsup:

Wayansurfer said:
gwumpkus,

Hi Mikey....no wonder u were silent most of the days....
ABout ur FC..what Emiffy has mentioned is correct....after ATF changes or rebuilding of ur tranny it will effect ur FC in general.
There is no need for you to tinker with any other thing else..all u need to do is to drive more and gain speed gradually if u may.

Till then brahh..... :thumbsup:

hey dude..yeah man..the damned auto trans is driving me nuts... couple with the fact i got a new project going on full swing now...with all the drawings and specifications etc etc to be done... i'm just barely breathing..:)

meetup this weekend..coming?..

cheers!

gwumpkus,

Easy does it Brahh....u need to relax..sumtime..things are meant to be left ignored initially..in this case..it would be your tranny...
For this coming meet up..I have to check with my detailing officer first.If me werking in the morning then it shouldnt be a problem tho.
If dats the case I will try to conjure up the rest and c how it goes. most probably will gather at the carpark where u "stalk" ur prey!!! hahahah

However I have this niggly feeling that I would be werking on both weekends.Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

:furious:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betso888netph

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back