Fire sprinkler system PE approval and certification

Shaun

Trusted Sponsor
Anyone work in this field or have friends that do it? Trying to do it for less than the 4 - 6 K I'm getting quoted for it now (certification alone). The hardware is all ok but the certification alone costs more than the whole system which I find amazing, which more than doubles total cost to 10 - 12K . Please help a brother out :D

It's for 3 small offices (about 6 m x 8m each) with false ceilings and light boxes, no ducting just normal AC on the sides. Unit real ceiling is about 8 meters high and has its own sprinklers, but the office ceiling is only 2.4 meters high since it sits under 2nd floor racking. Need to pull water supply from sprinklers on the 8 meter real ceiling to go into the 2.4m false ceiling for the new offices.

Thanks

Re: Fire sprinkler system PE approval and certification

1. Do you really need to bring down the sprinklers?
2. Do you really need to build the false ceiling when you bring down the sprinklers

If they are deemed necessary for your office setup then the cost is inevitable.
I used to have an office with sprinklers at 6.8m above with no false ceiling to save
on renovating cost as it was a rented space.

naan1974;1084707 said:
1. Do you really need to bring down the sprinklers?
2. Do you really need to build the false ceiling when you bring down the sprinklers

Yes it needs sprinklers or the fines come. The false ceiling is actually already built. Everything is already built but now they make noise and say there's a need to bring the sprinklers down.

Crap situation

Fire sprinkler system PE approval and certification

If I'm reading all these correctly, the landlord had lowered the ceiling level by putting in a false ceiling, but left the sprinklers untouched at the original ceiling level (hence hidden above the false ceiling)? If that is the case, it is certainly against the fire code.

I do have fire PEs but I would recommend that you check your lease agreement - try to argue that it is unfit to be tenanted and make the landlord bear costs to make it good.

Call me if in doubt.

Thanks Sean, actually we built the structures and were told there would be no problems for at least 5 years but now there are people making noise demanding that we pull the sprinklers to the lower level.

Have some leads and will follow up on those first.

Cheers

I'm in the fire line and it is definitely against the code to have false ceiling obstructing the sprinklers at the soffit. Ask the landlord to produce the scdf approved drawing for your units. If the drawings do not show the false ceiling than it is the landlord's responsibility to do it.

Evange;1084996 said:
I'm in the fire line and it is definitely against the code to have false ceiling obstructing the sprinklers at the soffit. Ask the landlord to produce the scdf approved drawing for your units. If the drawings do not show the false ceiling than it is the landlord's responsibility to do it.

Shaun clarified that he was the one erecting the sub-structures. In this case, not relevant to go after the landlord further.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rr88ninja

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back