Fixed Oil leak but still need top up in 2000 km

I sent my 2006 320i to a workplace to fix up the engine oil leak. Changed quite a lot of stuff, now I don't detect any visible oil leak when I open up my hood.

However, the stupid light for engine oil top up still comes up after about 2000km. Anyone encounter similar issue?

Re: Fixed Oil leak but still need top up in 2000 km

Yes, in fact it's been rather common. I had this characteristic since my e46 4 pot and now e60 6 pot. I keep spare oil at home for topping up out of cycle.

I went to ask around workshop and even PML adviser. They say 'norma' top up is usually 5000km without any oil leak. Any E90 320i driver can advice your top up frequency if you don't detect any oil leak on the engine floor?

I have been through your route. I left it that some engines are more thirsty. =)

whitelance78;636721 said:
I sent my 2006 320i to a workplace to fix up the engine oil leak. Changed quite a lot of stuff, now I don't detect any visible oil leak when I open up my hood.

However, the stupid light for engine oil top up still comes up after about 2000km. Anyone encounter similar issue?

Can share with us what have been changed and the cost?

the 4 cylinder units are not known to have that great a engine oil consumption. Better to have it checked more thoroughly again... 2000km needs topping up is strange...

i change engine oil every 7500km...

2000km interval require oil top up is not normal.....there are many areas that the oil can leaks not sure what you have replaced...

zorro;636810 said:
2000km interval require oil top up is not normal.....there are many areas that the oil can leaks not sure what you have replaced...

+1 ......... just out of curiosity - which oil are you using ?

For me my 2005 320i, there are some oil leaks but it's not major just smallish spot forming from the side of the engine. Not the top, my mechanic told me that it's due to the engine age wear and tear. the only good solution is to top it up when the sign pops up as engine oil low. Normally. at the next 10K or 20K will have to top up again.

BM engines become quite warm, dunno if this is true and thats why the leaks happen. Most economical way, either service the entire engine and check gaskets or just reseal the cracks and live with top up. Any other opinions or anyone got their advice from third party workshops?

Hi,

Just for your info, my former car, driven for 8 years at 230 000km clocked, did not need to top-up oil between oil changed interval during these years. My oil change interval is around 12 000km.......

It was a M52 6 cyl 2.5 litres.......probably it is valvetronic that 'eat' oil

Just got a used E60 LCI 2 weeks ago and this morning the low engine oil indicator came on. Can someone recommend a workshop to get it change or topup? Previous owner used Castrol 0W40. Any recommendations if other EO is more suited for E60?

buy a can and top up yourself and if the warning appear again you better send for repair..somewhere is leaking...

zorro;640250 said:
buy a can and top up yourself and if the warning appear again you better send for repair..somewhere is leaking...

Never did that before so better leave it to the experts in case overfill. Maybe its the 0W40 that needs topup more often.

xmaz3;640261 said:
Never did that before so better leave it to the experts in case overfill. Maybe its the 0W40 that needs topup more often.
Calling for oil refill EXPERTS:woottt:

Who call me? Ok 50 bucks for a quart plus labour charge....u know where to find me...

zorro;640276 said:
Who call me? Ok 50 bucks for a quart plus labour charge....u know where to find me...

Bro u really know how to make money out of it.

Bro no lah...I only got 1 case a year and thats provided u engage my expert service...Hopefully more drivers like you surface else I will be out of business soon.

Ok on serious note..if u live near Upper east Coast I can help you to top up...no charge just buy your own oil..

I recondmend you to visit any mechanic shop listed in BMWSG...They can check for leaks by hoisting up the car beside topping up the oil....

xmaz3;640300 said:
Bro u really know how to make money out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

zorro;640301 said:
Bro no lah...I only got 1 case a year and thats provided u engage my expert service...Hopefully more drivers like you surface else I will be out of business soon.

Ok on serious note..if u live near Upper east Coast I can help you to top up...no charge just buy your own oil..

I recondmend you to visit any mechanic shop listed in BMWSG...They can check for leaks by hoisting up the car beside topping up the oil....
Sometimes oil leak at very obvious place. For eg, i found oil stain at Steering Spindile. I sent it for checkup & found oil leak at oil filter gasket & top cover gasket.

Dude...pls dont confuse a driver who has never top up oil before. You should post a picture where is the oil cap first.

davidtch;640320 said:
Sometimes oil leak at very obvious place. For eg, i found oil stain at Steering Spindile. I sent it for checkup & found oil leak at oil filter gasket & top cover gasket.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back