Foul Smell from air-con when turn on

kenntona

Legendary 10 Years
a select few "lucky" E39s are known to have this problem out of the factory. case of lan lan.

Re: Foul Smell from air-con when turn on

turn on ur a/c heater to maximum HOTNESS n maximum POWER. leave ur ignition on. but no need to engine start. run for 15mins for 2-3 days....hv a kopi nearby. this will kill the mold. if works....u buy toto kopi. if dun work....well if dun work, then errr htf i know?!

It works, i set to max and wind down the windows, leave it running for about 15 mins... So far so good..

I was told to run the aircon at its hottest setting for 10-15 mins with the windows up so that the hot air circulates through the aircon. The effect is lost if the windows are down. It could be a bacterial bloom on the evaporator coil or the whole system. Very common in out humid weather. Had the same problem with my E93.Did this 2-3 times in a week and it seems to have cleared up. Give it a try.

Why not leave the car in the sun whole day?

Don't think leaving the car in the sun the whole day will provide enough heat to the evaporator and ducts to kill the bacteria.

Same problem for me also.... seem like this method really works..maybe can try on my house AC also...

Seems to be quite a common problem for BMW owners. Some kind of design flaw ?

marlin74;544659 said:
Don't think leaving the car in the sun the whole day will provide enough heat to the evaporator and ducts to kill the bacteria.
My car is always under hot sun. No foul smell le.

buy ambi pur and put in the car lah.

Ambi pure will just mask the smell. It wont get rid of the problem

----------
----------

Last edited by a moderator:

my e93 has this problem too

whenever i startup the car / aircon, it has this really stinky smell, will try the method and report back!

My new PI E93 also have this problem within a month of ownership.
I opened the engine hood, unscrew a few screws for the cover that holds the fresh-air air-con filter. Remove the fresh-air air-con filter.
Start the air con in the car at full speed (no heat nor cold = just blowing air). Open the doors.
Sprayed half a can of Lysol disinfectant into the opening. I think I sprayed for a good 2-3minutes non stop!
At that time, I was worried that the air blower might get electrical shocks or damaged by the 'wet' lysol spray being sprayed directly into contact with the blower motor and fan blade.

After doing it, the air con still smells, mouldy. I estimate about 60% of original mouldy smell level. After a few days....the mouldy smells still remains. Seems like not effect.

Now a days, I just live with it.
Now I try to off the cold air, just before I turn into my carpark.
I tried to practice to off the aircon Fives minutes away from my carpark, but its not practical as the interior will get warm and I start to sweat before I reach my carpark.

kiss29;545598 said:
My new PI E93 also have this problem within a month of ownership.
I opened the engine hood, unscrew a few screws for the cover that holds the fresh-air air-con filter. Remove the fresh-air air-con filter.
Start the air con in the car at full speed (no heat nor cold = just blowing air). Open the doors.
Sprayed half a can of Lysol disinfectant into the opening. I think I sprayed for a good 2-3minutes non stop!
At that time, I was worried that the air blower might get electrical shocks or damaged by the 'wet' lysol spray being sprayed directly into contact with the blower motor and fan blade.

After doing it, the air con still smells, mouldy. I estimate about 60% of original mouldy smell level. After a few days....the mouldy smells still remains. Seems like not effect.

Now a days, I just live with it.
Now I try to off the cold air, just before I turn into my carpark.
I tried to practice to off the aircon Fives minutes away from my carpark, but its not practical as the interior will get warm and I start to sweat before I reach my carpark.

urs is just at the start or thru-out the journey?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae888soy95

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back