Frequent "THUDD" feeling at traffic lights

panaracer

despite reading over the last 10 pages of tis forum, I guess I didn't find any answers to
the problem tat my car is facing now.

I dunno whether this is a gearbox, engine, or mounting problem......

my 325i drives well along the highway, and even at short moves in the city. but whenever
at the traffic lights stops, for more than 30-45sec, it will come a strong "THUDD" vibration
at the bottom of my car. maybe another 20sec later still haven't move off, it ll send another strong
vibration at the whole bottom again.

well, last week when my mechanic sat in my car for a drive, too bad it doesn't happen.
and I proceed to change the gearbox oil, with filter and necessary stuff! despite changing,
it will still have tat "THUDD" strong vibration whenever stopped at the lights for more
than 30sec.

have anyone encountered this? or any advises? I ve read the posts abt solenoid changes,
but my symtoms is not abt jerking whenever coming to a stop. when I shift from N to D,
my car do not even have a jerk feeling.

hope someone can advise.....

Re: Frequent "THUDD" feeling at traffic lights

Get a WS to see if any errors or faults are registered .........

Red_Bean_Bun;1034686 said:
Get a WS to see if any errors or faults are registered .........

brother, check alr! no fault leh. gearbox software aso updated new one as at last Tuesday.

tks for yr clue!

Something that goes Thudd should have registered something. what did the WS used to check ?

No misfiring etc ?

Definitely not a misfire problem. Misfire occurs only when on the move... I highly suspect a gearbox valve body problem.

When the car goes "THUD", do you feel the car jerking forward?

It could be the brakes. Cos whenever at the traffic lights, u are stepping in the brakes. The calipers gripe the rotors. When let go, it should release but in this case, there might be dirt stopping/dragging along with the piston causing the sound.
Its like after washing car and park over night. Next morning when move off got the sound.
TS can try to use N during stops then wait 30sec(you mention 30). Than shift to D. . See if it the sound is still there.

wow! tis forum is so much alive than my evo forum!!!

well, to answer to all the comments above:

Something that goes Thudd should have registered something. what did the WS used to check ?
2277 used tat big square computer thingy to check for faults lor.

When the car goes "THUD", do you feel the car jerking forward?
as I mentioned, immediately at the "THUDD" vibration, no whatever jerk!

TS can try to use N during stops then wait 30sec(you mention 30). Than shift to D. . See if it the sound is still there.
last Saturday was stopping at N position, still got tat THUDD!!! so I was a bit relieve tat nothing shd be gearbox wrong.

tks for all inputs!

Gearbox valve body faulty gonna be quite ex to fix, solenoids only still much cheaper.

Best you bring to competent WS to check, suggest you go get another opinion at R2D.

Dr Rod can read the valve body and solenoid numeric values and tell you what is the likely suspect causing this.

panaracer;1034684 said:
despite reading over the last 10 pages of tis forum, I guess I didn't find any answers to
the problem tat my car is facing now.

I dunno whether this is a gearbox, engine, or mounting problem......

my 325i drives well along the highway, and even at short moves in the city. but whenever
at the traffic lights stops, for more than 30-45sec, it will come a strong "THUDD" vibration
at the bottom of my car. maybe another 20sec later still haven't move off, it ll send another strong
vibration at the whole bottom again.

well, last week when my mechanic sat in my car for a drive, too bad it doesn't happen.
and I proceed to change the gearbox oil, with filter and necessary stuff! despite changing,
it will still have tat "THUDD" strong vibration whenever stopped at the lights for more
than 30sec.

have anyone encountered this? or any advises? I ve read the posts abt solenoid changes,
but my symtoms is not abt jerking whenever coming to a stop. when I shift from N to D,
my car do not even have a jerk feeling.

hope someone can advise.....

canuck78;1034697 said:
Gearbox valve body faulty gonna be quite ex to fix, solenoids only still much cheaper.

Best you bring to competent WS to check, suggest you go get another opinion at R2D.

Dr Rod can read the valve body and solenoid numeric values and tell you what is the likely suspect causing this.

hi my frd,

care to share where s R2D? do I look for Dr Rod?

tks bro, I managed to find R2D address alr.
I ll go n get it diagnosed tomorrow.

R2D is at woodlands.u can google r2d to get the address.Dr Rod sure can solve your problem.they are open from 1pm .

panaracer;1034702 said:

Rem to call and make appt!

ya, I jus called......... but faced w a nice lady voicemail message regarding their opening hrs....

I can only guess in that case it could be a torque converter issue. Test this out ... Ask 2277 to disable the neutral idle control feature and see if its better.

Suspect that when the transmission engage / disengage to save petrol during start/stop situation the engagement with the TC got problem.

Don't pray-pray with voicemail, Nadia. Rod's wife else he'll give you more THUDD!

Rod's a great guy you can trust with you car :)

Good to hear but beware, he is usually very well booked ahead!

Darn experienced old school bmw doc though!

panaracer;1034702 said:

Yup. I'm seeing doc Rodney tis afternoon, with appt time allocated too.

Wah lao eh! 原来是 spark plugs misfiring! Dr confirmed liao. Now they are changing plugs for me.

panaracer;1034950 said:
Wah lao eh! 原来是 spark plugs misfiring! Dr confirmed liao. Now they are changing plugs for me.

Say hi to doc for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
df999today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back