good day!

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is a X'er in our family.

There are 5ers, and they do post.

We've catered to every model of the BMW family, but due to popularity, we can't cover all.

It's more like they're quiet and they don't really post much. hmmm..
not disinterested lah.

and oh yah.

Welcome to the forums! :wavey:

Agree with Ryan... we cater to the whole BMW range at BMW.SG. When did you drive by? Usually there are at least 20 cars during the meetups... but as usual... there are the late comers... so if you show up at 430 sharp then you might not see many ppl...

glad to feel welcomed in tis forum.
i drove pass 2mths ago in other car. only get to see a few cars. if i can recall, i saw other make cars there for gathering also...
well.. it would hv bn d new faces tat cause my hesitation to approach..
hope 2 meetup u guys soon.

Come down to the next meetup at the end of Sep. If you scared that there will be no one there then show up about 5... by then more would have arrived... and yes, there are people driving other makes of cars as well... kind of a melting pot... all friends and car fanatics!

the word you are looking for should be "uninterested" not "disinterested". Pls do your correction x10 and hand in by tomorrow.

Racebred said:
the word you are looking for should be "uninterested" not "disinterested". Pls do your correction x10 and hand in by tomorrow.

Disinterested is correct lah. :slaphead: Uninterested works too.

We have Z4 too? maybe a few more on the way... :thumbsup:

I have been to almost meet-up since I joined more than 1 year ago - hmmm.. I think most times the crowd has been good. The opportune time I notice is about 515pm onwards - thats when the show starts.

Its not incorrect to point out that most are 3ers - anyway they form more than a third of all BMW sales in Singapore! :thumbsup:

"Totally disinterested" sounds a little strong. Actually, please pardon me but I dont quite reach your point - are you an owner of a non-3er trying to find more information in this forum? If you are, do feel free to post cos you are sure to get replies!!! :)

Cheers!

hv replied on den's (my buddy) PC. mine's down.
"Totally disinterested" sounds a little strong. Actually, please pardon me but I dont quite reach your point - are you an owner of a non-3er trying to find more information in this forum? If you are, do feel free to post cos you are sure to get replies!!!
"disinterested" may not b appropriate, it should be 'passive'.
i hv 5ers & 7ers in d house.

The age group will also play a part in whether they are "active" or "passive" lah..

Kind of hard to expect a 50+ year old ah-chek driving a 7'er to come post on the forums.

Generally the age group is from 19-35 who post here.... and most of them are 3'er owners!

Shaun said:
Racebred said:

Disinterested is correct lah. :slaphead: Uninterested works too.

only coz ppl like you accept a common error and propagate it to fashion. i thought you were a more principled person than this? :) it's like how now everybody pronounces "for-tay" for forte when they mean they are strong in a certain area.

and i quote:
In traditional usage, disinterested can only mean “having no stake in an outcome,” as in Since the judge stands to profit from the sale of the company, she cannot be considered a disinterested party in the dispute. But despite critical disapproval, disinterested has come to be widely used by many educated writers to mean “uninterested” or “having lost interest,” as in Since she discovered skiing, she is disinterested in her schoolwork. Oddly enough, “not interested” is the oldest sense of the word, going back to the 17th century. This sense became outmoded in the 18th century but underwent a revival in the first quarter of the early 20th. Despite its resuscitation, this usage is widely considered an error. In a 1988 survey, 89 percent of the Usage Panel rejected the sentence His unwillingness to give five minutes of his time proves that he is disinterested in finding a solution to the problem. This is not a significantly different proportion from the 93 percent who disapproved of the same usage in 1980.

blah bah blah blah.. :naughty: :laughlik: That is what it has become, and that is what is used so I don't have problems with it. I just don't think that anything is lost in the usage of either option. Maybe I'm not enough of a purist or traditionalist when it comes to English, but I do believe that us Singaporeans have a lot more to sort out English-wise before even getting to this level (where we decide between 'uninterested' which is more right, and 'disinterested' which is less right).

I think what we're doing here is kind of like worrying about decimal places before even getting the numerals right.

Shaun.. I totally agree with you! More work need to be put in before the English is anywhere near acceptable...

maybe we start a new forum "goodenglishboleh.com"?

Shaun, I found your quote to be quite interesting and did a quick search on it. This is what I have found:

http://nihildum.com/ceasarswarning.html

Julius Ceasar

Friday, 30 Aug 2002. a warning from the past, relating specificly to George II, our fearless leader. By Charles Mauch.

Saw this quote today on slashdot, thought I'd preserve it.

“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar. —
-- Julius Caesar”

Update: 2003-03-07 : I found out that this particular citation was never made by Ceasar. I was reading the Nuremburg Diaries this evening and discovered that Hermann believed this quote to be accurate as well but he was later proven wrong. However Goering was widely quoted and many people took this quote to be authentic.

Interesting! Nevertheless, it is succinct and pertinent to the political situation in the US as it has been since 9/11.

I have had strong beliefs on this patriotism thing from 5 years ago. If you are interested, you can find this piece of work by Emma Goldman titled "Patriotism, a Menace to Liberty" and discuss in the IR folder. Her other pieces of writing are really good too.. esp "Minorities vs Majorities".

Nice to meet you :)

Here's a shorter less self-explanatory quote "Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious." - Oscar Wilde. But perhaps the best one I've ever seen is "Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." - Adlai Stevenson.

It is indeed a strong statement and since NDP was just over, i was thinking that perhaps you were referring to it....

The political situation in US is mirred with its lobby and interest groups but I digress on this topic cos this is not the right forum for it. However, without patriotism, aren't we like sand in the sea washed up onshore this summer and sinking bottom next winter; without any roots. There is patriotism and there is blind patriotism...

Will have to meet up with you to discuss these! Shouldn't be long, baby boy just passing one month and thus ending my confinement as well! keke....
:dance:

Congrats on your child :) I'll start a topic in the irrelevant folder sometime soon to discuss this interesting topic, cos I can't meet up with you to discuss it anytime soon. I'm not in Singapore for an indefinite period.

You will be coming back to visit us though right Shaun... so it can't be for that long... hahaha!

not for another 3 years. possibly 5+ years

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back