Grinding sound on left rear of car

baracudax

Hi all,

I recently made these changes to my ride, a E46 FL 318 sedan.
- change to 8.5J x 18 inch HM2 (as far as I know, offset ET 38) with 225/40/18 tyres
- PSS9 coilovers set at 2 finger FRT and 1 finger RR.

When my ride was fully loaded with 5 pax (including driver), I hear a discernible grinding sound on the left section of the ride. No sound if less load on board.

Chatted with some forummers and the prelim evaluation is suspected to be tyre rubbing against the arch.

I was wondering is the problem statement could one of combination of following:-
1. offset too aggressive? but HM2 ET38 for 18 inch is pretty standard setup used by breyton and ACS also right?
2. coilover set to too low on RR. Again I think 1 finger sounds pretty acceptable. Previously I was on Sach sport on 1 finger RR with 8Jx17.. (ET47) full load 5 pax no such issue.
3. poor installation? have good confidence in my mechanic which many of you also used, so I leave this probability to the last.

Any recommendations to overcome this? Increase the coilover rear height? Roll the fender / arch?

Will appreciate advice from bros here.

Re: Grinding sound on left rear of car

Any recommendations to overcome this? Increase the coilover rear height? Roll the fender / arch?

hihi... dont worry la... either fetch only slim n sexy girls... n ditch the overweight beer belly guys...or u

1. roll ur fenders ( quick

From your description above, your set up seems to be perfectly fine..All within permissible limits.

Check your PSS9 springs and see if there is any spring bite friction mark or not...
Ah Wee can probably tell you that too.

Btw, does the sound come from left front or left rear

You should not be having any rubbing issues at all, unless ur 255 at the rear which is quite close but even so, hardly will get any rubbing. Im 255 rear with just less than a finger gap and no rubbing at all. If its coming frm only one side, safely say it should not be rubbin.. frm wat u describe.. i really dun noe wat the problem could be, but now u've got one out and that is the rubbing issue.

Shaaz.

pg7170 said:

hihi... dont worry la... either fetch only slim n sexy girls... n ditch the overweight beer belly guys...or u

1. roll ur fenders ( quick

TripleM said:
From your description above, your set up seems to be perfectly fine..All within permissible limits.

Check your PSS9 springs and see if there is any spring bite friction mark or not...
Ah Wee can probably tell you that too.

Btw, does the sound come from left front or left rear

Validated and checked personally by Ah Wee the PSS9meister himself to be 100% alrighty when for installation. I am quite sure sound comes from tyres somehow rubbing against the car when fully loaded with 5. No prob whatsoever when car is under normal loading.

But I wasn't expecting any rubbing of arch coz my lowering at FRT/RR is quite standard and conservative + tyre are not that wide @ 225 only (not like it's 255 or such). To play safe will let Ah-Wee take a second look. Thanks.

Just get your fenders rolled and all will be solved.

Problem has been solved. Apparently, my left RR mud guard was a bit loose and scratched against the lowered suspension at the rear when car's fully loaded. Problem was resolved by simply snipping off a small, loose section of the mud guard and voila! no more slight, irritating noise when fully loaded or going up slopes. Thanks to all who had advised.

TripleM, I think I saw your silver Z4 going from Suntec towards Rochor yesterday afternoon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubsbs
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back