Hear ticking on your BMW engine? ( click to check if your model is affected)

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just spotted this on another forum.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddxPfshrul0[/YOUTUBE]

BMW SIB 11.09.07

Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine? - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

SI B 11 09 07 Engine
January 2009

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 11 09 07 dated April 2008.

SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA): "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises

MODEL
All E82, E83, E85, E86, E88, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52 or N52K engines

SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving.

CAUSE
In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.

PROCEDURE
Important notes:

The bleed time may take anywhere from between two minutes and (in rare cases) to a maximum of 30 minutes. This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly ventilated area.

Procedure preconditions:

Engine oil level correct – neither underfilled nor overfilled

Engine running at operating temperature

1.) Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000-3000 rpm and maintain this condition for three minutes (bleeding procedure).

Let the engine idle for 15-30 seconds and reevaluate whether the noise is still present or not.

2.) Engine quiet – procedure is finished.

3.) Engine noise is still present – repeat the procedure; perform steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.

4.) Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times: proceed by performing the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000-3000 rpm, but for a total time duration of 15 minutes.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Re: Hear ticking on your BMW engine? ( click to check if your model is affected)

It sound exactly like my E36 when first start in morning ! it goes off after 5mins or at operating temperature,
it only happens again if car left for more than estimate 8hrs. BVO say is oK.

Re: Hear ticking on your BMW engine? ( click to check if your model is affected)

very useful tip! have this noise in my engine as well. disappears after longer drives. Will try and see if it works.

I hear the ticking sound early in the morning too but not as loud as I heard here. Yes, it disppears after 2 mins or so. Mentioned to PML before but they told me this was common and there was nothing wrong at all.

Thanks for sharing this, Ryan.

Ryan, is this a permanent fix or has to be done each time? Doesnt make sense to rev engine for 3 mins each day.

Thanks

this is quite a well known issue in the US forums. I've read that the guys there have gotten replacements for the cylinder heads, when they experience this noise very frequently. But apparently, this is a design issue and even replacements don't guarantee it goes away.

I have heard this noise about twice from one of my cars. Only when the car is driven for v short distance from cold (eg: shifting cars out of the driveway or back in). After it's driven for abt 4km, the sound goes away. Idling doesn't help it go off. You gotta give it some gas.

PML says no harm done since we are in a warmer region, and that the replacement part is only valid for US versions. I've checked the part, and indeed - Eur & US versions have different part numbers. I don't totally believe the BMW statement that it causes no damage? cos come on... lifters aren't getting enough oil. But then , PML run a 0W-30 castrol oi in our cars, so i guess it should get flowing up pretty quick.

Now, i just refrain from driving it short distances from cold. Strangely, when i move it within the driveway (no accel pedal needed, ~1m travelled) no ticking noise comes back the next time i fire it up. Neither does it make the noise even when its parked for 5 days straight. *shrugs* Guess when it's cold, and you give it some gas... the oil that was previously in the lifters drains off, and when u drive it too short, the oil isn't warmed up enough for flow so it's not oiled up when u shut off.

After this observation, i take note when I've driven 4km from startup before i consider the cars warmed up and ready for higher revs.

Solution for E36 ticking sound (same as the youtube sound) to go away;
Go Autobac buy a bottle of STP treatment oil $7.00 & pour in after each oil change. Sound disappear.
Also for older car is always good if you drive after operating temperature reached.

sorry for posting thou not related to All E82, E83, E85, E86, E88, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52 or N52K engines

I heard this ticking sound as well one day when I happen to be outside my car after the engine is on and the car parked for more than 24hours.

It goes away after driving it for some distance.

Good to know its harmless, probably just irritating. Initially thought of bringing back for checks.

Thanks Ryan for sharing !

As the service bulletin states, the oil drained out of the lifters. and needs a higher rev to get the oil back up the lifters. it is never good when moving parts are dry from oil. i would suggest that some lubricant like Activ8 or similar be added so that it is still lubricated after oil has drained.

It is harmless for a while but it will definately be one or the worn out parts during an overhaul.

R2D

Please comment whether MPZ used is a way to reduce this or eradicate this?

Thanks!

TobyNik;444041 said:
R2D

Please comment whether MPZ used is a way to reduce this or eradicate this?

Thanks!

i dont think it will erradicate this. but it will certainly help with any lubrication, and any metal to metal wear on the lifters.
i know that my engine after the MPZ is quieter and smoother.
i am a skeptic of oil additives, but this MPZ together with the SR-1 oil is really smooth and silky on the engine.

tlkchew;444081 said:
i dont think it will erradicate this. but it will certainly help with any lubrication, and any metal to metal wear on the lifters.
i know that my engine after the MPZ is quieter and smoother.
i am a skeptic of oil additives, but this MPZ together with the SR-1 oil is really smooth and silky on the engine.
how much for this MPZ to be added?

Slater;443833 said:
very useful tip! have this noise in my engine as well. disappears after longer drives. Will try and see if it works.

bimmer71;443848 said:
I hear the ticking sound early in the morning too but not as loud as I heard here. Yes, it disppears after 2 mins or so. Mentioned to PML before but they told me this was common and there was nothing wrong at all.

wei0306;443907 said:
I heard this ticking sound as well one day when I happen to be outside my car after the engine is on and the car parked for more than 24hours.

are all your cars not driven daily, and travel VERY short distances? my affected car is driven only on weekends, and I hardly had instances of the sound.

This particular ride doesn't have much mileage clocked, under 4000km after 1 year. Dunno if that's a factor. But as long as the car is driven for minimum 4km distance from cold before it's parked again, I don't get the noise ever, even when parked for an entire week.

motorknut;444091 said:
are all your cars not driven daily, and travel VERY short distances? my affected car is driven only on weekends, and I hardly had instances of the sound.

This particular ride doesn't have much mileage clocked, under 4000km after 1 year. Dunno if that's a factor. But as long as the car is driven for minimum 4km distance from cold before it's parked again, I don't get the noise ever, even when parked for an entire week.

maybe you are using a heavier oil? so it does not drain away too quickly.
BMW has already admitted this "minor" bug. so expect it to happen to the affected cars.

motorknut;444091 said:

i drive it everyday, but i do admit at times the distances are short.

Btw i tried it yesterday when i heard the noise after starting engine for a while. Rev it to 3000 rpm and held it there for 3 mins.....sound was gone. This morning reverse the car out from the drive way to wash and heard no more ticking anymore. Will monitor a few more days to see if the fix is indeed permanent.

tlkchew;444101 said:
maybe you are using a heavier oil? so it does not drain away too quickly.
BMW has already admitted this "minor" bug. so expect it to happen to the affected cars.

i think BMW prefer to call it an engine "characteristic" rather than a bug. haha!
no, i'm using PML's 0W-30 castrol oil. Not the stuff sold at the parts dept, just the workshop oil they get. That's probably not the heaviest oil around... though I've read it stays in grade over time better than mobil1 0W-40 oil.

i'm rather surprised the oil stays up in the lifters even though the car sits for 5 days at a time. But I'm not complaining... :cool:

Slater;444137 said:
i drive it everyday, but i do admit at times the distances are short.

Btw i tried it yesterday when i heard the noise after starting engine for a while. Rev it to 3000 rpm and held it there for 3 mins.....sound was gone. This morning reverse the car out from the drive way to wash and heard no more ticking anymore. Will monitor a few more days to see if the fix is indeed permanent.

hmmm, but when u say short distances, i'm sure it's longer than 4km yeah? That's the distance it took for the noise to disappear the second time I heard it. I was trying to note this down to update PML.

I doubt the fix is permanent, cos it probably just fixes it for each instance. If you move your car in and out of the driveway from cold (and you actually have to step on the accelerator pedal during these short distances) that might be why you get the tapping sound more often than I did.

That was the only specific factor I could identify when I experienced the tapping sound.

motorknut;444168 said:
i think BMW prefer to call it an engine "characteristic" rather than a bug. haha!
no, i'm using PML's 0W-30 castrol oil. Not the stuff sold at the parts dept, just the workshop oil they get. That's probably not the heaviest oil around... though I've read it stays in grade over time better than mobil1 0W-40 oil.

i'm rather surprised the oil stays up in the lifters even though the car sits for 5 days at a time. But I'm not complaining... :cool:

hmmm, but when u say short distances, i'm sure it's longer than 4km yeah? That's the distance it took for the noise to disappear the second time I heard it. I was trying to note this down to update PML.

I doubt the fix is permanent, cos it probably just fixes it for each instance. If you move your car in and out of the driveway from cold (and you actually have to step on the accelerator pedal during these short distances) that might be why you get the tapping sound more often than I did.

That was the only specific factor I could identify when I experienced the tapping sound.
yes even for distances for more than 4km the sound is still prevalent. Already spoke to PML guys and they said its part and parcel, nothing they could do bout it.

Been monitoring the sound today. Still have not heard it after reving it at 3000rpm for 3 mins.Might be worth giving it a try if some of you guys r thinking if it works.

Hi guys.

The sound arises when the engine sits there overnight and the oil flows out of the hydraulic lifters. you might encounter this phenomenon with older oils that thins out with use. normally a good quality 30wt oil will be good enough.

If you suspect otherwise, you can up the oil specs to a 40wt which will be harder to flow out of the lifters.

As for MPZ, the only benefit (apart from the smoothness bit) is that the compound builds a thin layer of Zinc whic reduces the tolerance in between the close fitting lifter components.

If you have a problem, do drop by, but give nadia a call first..

Cheers

hi all , my problem with the whisering sound is when i engaged on 'D' or 'reverse' gear. When i engage 'Neutral' or 'Park' mode, the sounds doesnt appear.

What could be the problem?

Pls advise guys. Many Tks.

Cheong

hi all , my problem with the whisering sound is when i engaged on 'D' or 'reverse' gear. When i engage 'Neutral' or 'Park' mode, the sounds doesnt appear.

What could be the problem?

Pls advise guys. Many Tks.

Cheong

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts