help:e90 oil level sensor erractic

saintdagon

realised that my oil level sensor reading can be quite erratic,sometime when i check it passed the maximum mark,sometime is just at the half way line. Is it normal? btw,my oil level sensor is brand new...

Re: help:e90 oil level sensor erractic

Did you try letting the car warm up on a level ground and then for the oil sensor to show? If you are driving around the sensor reading will differ for sure since oil will be moving around while you drive.

Hi. I have the same problem. Haha. Learned to live with it.

I did my servicing 3 wks back. Workshop drained out the engine oil. Shows its not low. So its probably the sensor issue.

Oic. Hmmm. I have no idea then. Was warned by the mechanic not to keep topping up. Else may jus overflow. Says he ever had a car went in with more than 10 liters of engine oil after he drained them out.

Hope ur able to resolve it!!

Go get it changed! Better be safe than sorry. :)

Check it at exactly the same time, e.g. every morning 5 mins after your engine warm up, and you drove off.

I read someone the E90 oil sensor assess oil level by means of fluid heat-up, so more oil takes longer to heat up, and less oil takes faster to heat up.

Measure it at the same time every day (after overnight, from the first cold start) is the best way for me so far.

saintdagon;839682 said:
realised that my oil level sensor reading can be quite erratic,sometime when i check it passed the maximum mark,sometime is just at the half way line. Is it normal? btw,my oil level sensor is brand new...

Look at the bottom of your car / floor if no oil stains unlikely there's a oil leak.

E90 engine runs hot, so some oil can evaporate causing the señsor to prompt you to top-up.

Mine consumes 1 - 1.5L around 6-7k mark, so this is quite normal perhaps for older E90.

saintdagon;839701 said:
either oil sensor is erractic if not is my e90 losing oil

It's strange that you are experiencing it with a new oil level sensor. My e90 had that issue about a year ago and I had to replace the oil level sensor. Since then, it's been perfect... Faulty sensor here?

Since u bot it new, should just go back to the workshop n ask them to check it. I would insist on asking them to replace it foc if it's faulty..

Just got my oil sensor changed recently for around 145 before oil change.

Oil level shows full all the time now irregardless of when you check it.

saintdagon;839682 said:

hi, i also have this problem. just change engine oil recently. been monitoring the oil level every morning before i drive off. oil level always show different level every time. no leakage on the floor.

if i like to change the sensor, must i change me engine oil too?

Afraid so, the oil sensor is built into the bottom of the oil sump so they have to drain out the engine oil, before changing this part.

You can wait until the next oil change to change the oil sensor if you are not experiencing any oil leaks and you are not burning them off either.

Jasonyeozm;947334 said:
hi, i also have this problem. just change engine oil recently. been monitoring the oil level every morning before i drive off. oil level always show different level every time. no leakage on the floor.

if i like to change the sensor, must i change me engine oil too?

canuck78;947427 said:
Afraid so, the oil sensor is built into the bottom of the oil sump so they have to drain out the engine oil, before changing this part.

You can wait until the next oil change to change the oil sensor if you are not experiencing any oil leaks and you are not burning them off either.

Thanks bro canuck78 for advise..

Hi all - I did my E90 servicing at a reputable workshop less than 2 weeks ago and its already showing +1!

They did tell me I had some leaks on the O rings, valve cover rings, etc but that was something I can wait till the next service to get them done. It was not something that was going to make me lose oil very quickly, I was told.

So I top up 1 litre and the sensor is still showing +1! Is it a faulty sensor or did the 'slow' leaks decided to become fast ones in the last week?

I will take the car in again but just wondering what is most likely cause of the +1 after topping up..

Last edited by a moderator:

towerking;1080437 said:
Hi all - I did my E90 servicing at a reputable workshop less than 2 weeks ago and its already showing +1!

They did tell me I had some leaks on the O rings, valve cover rings, etc but that was something I can wait till the next service to get them done. It was not something that was going to make me lose oil very quickly, I was told.

So I top up 1 litre and the sensor is still showing +1! Is it a faulty sensor or did the 'slow' leaks decided to become fast ones in the last week?

I will take the car in again but just wondering what is most likely cause of the +1 after topping up..

Any leaks seen on the floor as 1L oil loss in a week is quite a lot?

If you haven't change oil sensor, this could be it since you said it still shows +1L after you top up.

Better bring in WS to check as overfilling is bad for the engine too

I've use many type of engine oil , don't have engine oil consumption issue because i change oil every 5k mileage.

Recently using motul 300v 5w40, found my obc showing 3 bar less after 3k mileage. I have no oil leak issue , no white/black/blue smoke from exhaust , also normal exhaust fumes.

canuck78;1080440 said:
Any leaks seen on the floor as 1L oil loss in a week is quite a lot?

If you haven't change oil sensor, this could be it since you said it still shows +1L after you top up.

Better bring in WS to check as overfilling is bad for the engine too

I've been checking and didn't see any oil on the floor, so you're right it be the sensor.

Come to think of it, I also had the same problem during my previous oil change. Level drop to half mark two weeks after and also showed +1 a couple of times before somehow stabilising at the 2/3 mark.. so these may be early signs that sensor is becoming faulty?

Yes, going to bring it in soon to have it checked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmaxii

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back