Hi NEWBIE & QUESTIONS

Neptunee33

Hi,

Me, the newbie here...:wavey:

Do you experience brake problem with your BMW after going overseas for 1 week without starting the engine ?
Any ideas to prevent brake dust / rust ?

I change the brake pad and brake discs but still have the squeezing sound...any idea what is going on ? :helpp!:

Re: Hi NEWBIE & QUESTIONS

I would recommend asking ur friend/gf/bf/parents to help start ur car at least once every 2/3 days.. keep the engine running..

Of course I've also heard pple who go overseas for a month w/o starting their car, also no problem

silencer162;501928 said:
I would recommend asking ur friend/gf/bf/parents to help start ur car at least once every 2/3 days.. keep the engine running..

Of course I've also heard pple who go overseas for a month w/o starting their car, also no problem

Personal experience here. I own a 1988 BMW M3 in the US, unfortunately, I live in Singapore now and cannot bear to sell my car. I have my father start up and cruise the car about every month or so.

Well, my father decided to get lazy and not drive my car around for over a year, I went back home in November to cruise the M and found that my brake rotors (all 4 of them) had warped due to the changes in temp in Chicago and my father not driving it around. To make a long story short, it ended up costing me US$1500 to replace all 4 rotors. :(

The moral of the story...drive your cars...they need to be driven!

Neptunee33;501711 said:
Hi,

Do you experience brake problem with your BMW after going overseas for 1 week without starting the engine ?

I change the brake pad and brake discs but still have the squeezing sound...any idea what is going on ? :helpp!:

Bro, no problem with my BMW at all, for 1 week. Be it E36, E46 or E90.
How to prevent brake dust/rust: don't brake. Ok, just kidding. Just get pads with less dusts loh.

I just return from US after 2 weeks, car not started, didn't experience what you mention. Ride still as good, brake still as sharp

maverick0118;502366 said:
I just return from US after 2 weeks, car not started, didn't experience what you mention. Ride still as good, brake still as sharp

I go back to the US perhaps once a year or less. Prior to my last return, I had a 2.5 year gap in which the car was just sitting and I believe Chicago weather plays a big role there too with hot summers and cold winters.

I keep my car battery disconnected when I leave. My father just hooks up the battery when he wants to start and cruise the car about then he disconnects the battery again. So far in the 10+ years I've been in Singapore, I've never had my car battery drained following this procedure and the brakes warping occurred only once (due to long gap between my visits).

I just hope Dad's actually cruising the car these days :)

Laaannger

Neptunee33;501711 said:
Hi,

Your brakes need to "run-in" first when new or you could do a few times of hard brake to season it.
Less brake dust, can change to aftermarket pads.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back