How Do You Manage Without A Spare Tyre?

alvin01

I know many E90 owners ditch the run flat types and go back to regular non-RFTs - that's just what I inherited from the previous owner of my E90.

I'm just wondering how you cope without spare tyres. I'm not so worried while in Singapore but it's stopping me from taking the car up north as it'll be a disaster if I have a puncture on the NSH.

I know there are tyre sealant kits but are these really effective?

Alvin

Re: How Do You Manage Without A Spare Tyre?

To be honest, i always pray hard when travelling up North as i had terrible experience of a puncture tyre some years back on my previous ride at the NSH. Luckily the spare tyre save all the trouble of towing and manage to travel bk to SG safely n got it replaced. Now without a spare tyre the only back up is the repair kits kept in the boot. Have nvr utilise the sealant but did inflate my tyre using the kit in the middle of the road afew months back. I feel grad that i hav bot it. still recommend bros here to hav it as u will nvr knw when u really need it.

I had a spare tyre once ..... I had a flat once ..... I tried changing to the spare tyre once ..... One time is enough.

Doing thumb and index finger curls with squats with the jack is no fun ......

I had a punctured tyre in Tuas before CNY after running through a pothole. I didn't realise it until I stopped for a coffee and came back to find that my front tyre had kaput and the air had escaped. So I drove with a flat tyre to a workshop in Bk Batok and was told by the fellas there that I should not have driven after the air had escaped. They advised that I should have it towed to the workshop instead of driving with a flat tyre. Ended up changing the front pair.

Smoe;994613 said:
I had a punctured tyre in Tuas before CNY after running through a pothole. I didn't realise it until I stopped for a coffee and came back to find that my front tyre had kaput and the air had escaped. So I drove with a flat tyre to a workshop in Bk Batok and was told by the fellas there that I should not have driven after the air had escaped. They advised that I should have it towed to the workshop instead of driving with a flat tyre. Ended up changing the front pair.

I did the same mistake in my previous ride when I was young. Drove from Bugis (where LTA was doing roadwork) to Woodlands and back to Bedok. Next day drove to tyre shop and change all rims. Expensive lesson.

seanskye;994621 said:
I did the same mistake in my previous ride when I was young. Drove from Bugis (where LTA was doing roadwork) to Woodlands and back to Bedok. Next day drove to tyre shop and change all rims. Expensive lesson.

why the need to change all rims? wouldn't it only affect the punctured rim/tyre?

Also I hate to ask this, is it a must to change tyres as a pair? why can't we change only the punctured tyre?

Thanks, I have no experience in this thus asking here.

And yes i keep a bottle of the sealant. Also the question is if it works on a 20 inch 285 tyre..... Anyone tried?

R335;994586 said:
To be honest, i always pray hard when travelling up North as i had terrible experience of a puncture tyre some years back on my previous ride at the NSH. Luckily the spare tyre save all the trouble of towing and manage to travel bk to SG safely n got it replaced. Now without a spare tyre the only back up is the repair kits kept in the boot. Have nvr utilise the sealant but did inflate my tyre using the kit in the middle of the road afew months back. I feel grad that i hav bot it. still recommend bros here to hav it as u will nvr knw when u really need it.
Any recommendations on the sealant kit? I hear we should get a compressor pump as well to inflate the tyre.

Red_Bean_Bun;994587 said:
I had a spare tyre once ..... I had a flat once ..... I tried changing to the spare tyre once ..... One time is enough.

Doing thumb and index finger curls with squats with the jack is no fun ......
At least you had the option to change to a spare, back breaking as it may be. Imagine if you had a puncture on NSH with no spare.

Smoe;994613 said:
Thanks for sharing this lesson. I think I would have made the same mistake.

It's like a pair of shoes ..... if the left side spoil, throw the pair away and by a new pair.........

vegadonovan;994650 said:
why the need to change all rims? wouldn't it only affect the punctured rim/tyre?

Also I hate to ask this, is it a must to change tyres as a pair? why can't we change only the punctured tyre?

alvin01;994651 said:
Any recommendations on the sealant kit? I hear we should get a compressor pump as well to inflate the tyre.

u may wish to consider Airman. It comes wif the sealant n the compressor kit together.

alvin01;994652 said:
At least you had the option to change to a spare, back breaking as it may be. Imagine if you had a puncture on NSH with no spare.

Yup. I kana exactly wat u disscribe. Cry No Tears!

vegadonovan;994650 said:

Thanks, I have no experience in this thus asking here.

And yes i keep a bottle of the sealant. Also the question is if it works on a 20 inch 285 tyre..... Anyone tried?

It depends on how bad the damage is. If you kept driving with some air still inside at a high speed, there could be a chance the rim would warp (which happened in my case). Same for the bearings and alignment would be off. I changed the whole set for peace of mind plus upgraded to forged rims.

As for the tyres, they are usually changed in a pair because the traction would be different if you continued using a new/used setup. So the rate of braking could be different depending on how used the other side is. Especially of its the front pair which is used for steering.

Last edited by a moderator:
How Do You Manage Without A Spare Tyre?

You can try Slime, available at autobacs for abt $70ish.

I always have a tyre repair kit with 2 bottles of slime and of course a spare pump in the boot.

Although RFT are expensive and uncomfortable cum noisy but it is still safer to use them...

Forrestgum;994723 said:

I always have a tyre repair kit with 2 bottles of slime and of course a spare pump in the boot.

Some tyre shop actually pump Slime into newly install tyre to have the auto sealing effect...

Pump ..... ?

Forrestgum;994723 said:

RFT is suppose to take of that(changing tyres in dangerous conditions/ along road sites/ while raining..etc ), should be able to drive up NSH with peace of mind. Should be able to drive at 80km/h for another 150km before can be repaired.:dance::dance:

So what happens if 2 tyres puncture ........

For people that travel light ..... Not big into the RFT thing. Rambo. Satu Orang style.

Some people travel with a lot of stuff. Like SAF 3rd Div in a brigade excercise.

All up to the guy driving......

My tyre indicator came on along cte near moulmein, drove to ubi straight away to check. But alas, upon taking off the tyre, was told the tyre up the lorry ler. Changed one PSS only as the tyres were only 3mths old.

Best part is, i have a portable compressor and tyre repair kit in the boot. Never thought such short distance also cannot tahan. Am on 19" btw.

Expensive lesson.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
good88compink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back