How often to rotate tyre?

TohTo

For FWD car, normally tyre are rotate at 10k interval between front and rear. Due to front is the steering and driving wheel which will wear faster. How about for our BMW which is RWD?

Re: How often to rotate tyre?

For RWD, also can do at 10k or 5k... if on staggered wheels, rotate swapping left-right right-left only

BMW does not recommend tyre rotation because tyres get "scrubbed in" over time and the car handles better. Rotating them starts the scrubbing process over again and takes time to get the best handling back.

but can do at 8k to 10k km if you using same size for front and back

lim_ck;851282 said:
BMW does not recommend tyre rotation because tyres get "scrubbed in" over time and the car handles better. Rotating them starts the scrubbing process over again and takes time to get the best handling back.

but can do at 8k to 10k km if you using same size for front and back

Bro does that mean if stagger setup should not do rotation left and right?

Jetpilot;851412 said:
Bro does that mean if stagger setup should not do rotation left and right?

if you stagger setup (different front and back width) then depends on your tires.
some tyres have a specific rotation direction and specified outside wall. if you swop left to right, then the tyres are running in the wrong direction. if you put in correct rotation direction, then sidewall is facing wrong way so still sala.

unless you are running tyres that are not asymmetrical then you can do a left right swop BUT you will have to get your tyre shop to remove the tyres from the rims and fit them back again. as what some people have experienced, sometimes when tyres are removed from the rims, the shops did not do the job properly and thus causes the tyres to have tears and suffer from puncture. this is especially so for RFT or older tyres which have hardened.

personally, I do not rotate my tires for my E90 (I did do rotation for my previous cars) even though they are still on stock setup with same front and back. I follow my own rule of 30K or 2 years whichever comes first and then change a new set of tyres. 30K is cos the tyres will be almost done or balding in the inner threads by then cos of the camber setup of the car. 2 years cos of the hot singapore weather, the rubber would have hardened by then and provide less grip. add in the time the tyres spent in shipping and storage before it's fitted and sometimes you are looking at tyres which you drove for 2 years but already is about 2.5 years old.

when i changed out of my RFTs at about 2 years and 28k km, the front tyres were quite worn esp in the inner threads but rear tyres were still in very good condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is no hard and fast rule in this. Tyre brand/wear rate, car's suspension set-up (camber/toe), driving pattern all play a part.

Word of caution - do not rotate your tyres too many times as the process of removal and re-installation will 'stretch' the tyre and cause the contact point between tyre and rim to 'loosen'.

Maximum number of times you can remove the tyre from the rim without damaging it is between 3-5 times (for the entire lifespan of the tyre, or about 2 years).

jinooi;851580 said:
Word of caution - do not rotate your tyres too many times as the process of removal and re-installation will 'stretch' the tyre and cause the contact point between tyre and rim to 'loosen'.

Maximum number of times you can remove the tyre from the rim without damaging it is between 3-5 times (for the entire lifespan of the tyre, or about 2 years).

Wow...

No comment.

Generally don't even bother doing rotation with staggered configuration. Just run the tyres until botak then replace them!

Yup..only Botak then change.....

ongkjin;923840 said:
Generally don't even bother doing rotation with staggered configuration. Just run the tyres until botak then replace them!

Not sure if its due to the weight distribution of the car but the front tyres seems to wear out much faster than the rears. On my previous set of rft, the rear tyres were in very good condition when I changed them even though the front ones have worn out in areas. On my current set, the front tyres are also worn out and rear tyre threads still look like new

lim_ck said:
Not sure if its due to the weight distribution of the car but the front tyres seems to wear out much faster than the rears. On my previous set of rft, the rear tyres were in very good condition when I changed them even though the front ones have worn out in areas. On my current set, the front tyres are also worn out and rear tyre threads still look like new

Individual driving habits/setups. Example sub-optimal camber and lots of hard brakings/cornerings.......

Rotated my tires once front-back, after that the driving felt really weird for quite some time.

Never bothered to rotate ever since, car went back to the regular planted feel.

lim_ck;923900 said:
Hmmm, mine is e reverse... e rear wears out faster than e front :thinking:

Baby1M;924228 said:
Hmmm, mine is e reverse... e rear wears out faster than e front :thinking:

that's what I thought should be the case. Maybe go up/down mscp everyday so wear out faster. :p

canuck78;924204 said:
Rotated my tires once front-back, after that the driving felt really weird for quite some time.

Never bothered to rotate ever since, car went back to the regular planted feel.

Exactly why i suggest not to rotate the tyres if staggered configuration! Generally the tyres will wear quite evenly (left and right) if your tyres are balanced.
Front and rear tyre wear will vary in staggered configuration. After all, the car is a rear wheel drive. If front tyres wear faster, that plainly means u drive a lil more aggressive during the corners.. I generally do... especially when i'm up and down genting... =)

ongkjin;924852 said:
Exactly why i suggest not to rotate the tyres if staggered configuration! Generally the tyres will wear quite evenly (left and right) if your tyres are balanced.
Front and rear tyre wear will vary in staggered configuration. After all, the car is a rear wheel drive. If front tyres wear faster, that plainly means u drive a lil more aggressive during the corners.. I generally do... especially when i'm up and down genting... =)

I assume you mean rims on the rear are wider than front on a staggered setup. If this is so, there's no way to do rotation at all.
Those who rotated should have front and back rims of same width

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sushmitakumari04

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back