how reliable is 318 manual gear?

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm one of the bros here had a manual E46 318i.

Waiting for him to give comment..

ah..let me PM him!

Re: how reliable is 318 manual gear?

katoomee said:
hi to bros here,

any advise on this car? :roll: :roll:

One word to sum it all...EXCELLENT

Had the 318 for 2 years and sold it to someone i know...so that I still am in touch with the car...sold it off ONLY cos I wanted the E39

Some great things abt the car:

- great fuel econ, was getting roundabout 12-13km/l

- Perfect control over the gears, and great torque on the low gears

- minimal wear and tear as it is a manual...maintenance costs minimal

- the gear had no porbs at all...but I would advise u to chk the 'feel' of the gears when u view the car

I was the 3rd owner, but the car was really great...I wanted to get a 520 manual...but errrr....did some serious thinkin...

anyway, I still luv manuals and really would get another in the future

Wat 318 are u luking at?? Would u like me to help u evaluate it??? drope me a pm

All the best :wavey:

Another thing to add, u getting a resale one I gather, cos there areonly 7 manual E46es in sgp. E36, there are quite a few out there.

I had a E36 manual too....no issues! Luv the manual feel as well :thumbsup:

Arsony is another manual driver...he might have some inputs...yohoo doc where art thou?? :wavey:

Have a colleague driving the first batch of e46 318 manual and I hv never heard of him complaining anything bout his gear box...

katoomee,

I have only one problem with the manual gearbox.

Always at risk of losing my license because...

1) I drive faster
2) I zip in and out of traffic
3) I enter and exit corners at breakneck speed

The only auto car I ever had in my life was my prev E36 318is and I regretted it.

Driving an E46 320ci manual now with short shifters. Loving every minute I spend in the car.

A manual car , objectively is a safer car because....

1) You manually determine engine revs and speed through the gears
2) You can apply engine brake which is a very efficient, safe and fast method to cut speed

Think about it....

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT cutting speed...

Arsony said:
katoomee,

1) I drive faster

The only auto car I ever had in my life was my prev E36 318is and I regretted it.

Driving an E46 320ci manual now with short shifters. Loving every minute I spend in the car.

2) You can apply engine brake which is a very efficient, safe and fast method to cut speed

Think about it....

Arsony

hey Doc,

thanks for replying... 320ci cool man... cheers

Arsony said:

Think about it....

Arsony

hi doc, agree on 1 - gear selection matched to required selection. Steptronic also provides this though

i don't think 2 really counts though because any modern car's braking capability is tire limited, not brake force limited. engine braking isn't going to help it unless the car has malfunctioning or faded brakes.

Arsony said:
katoomee,

1) I drive faster

Think about it....

Arsony

Which short shift r u using coz there quite a few in the mkt and I am keen but not sure which is the right one to get. Stock throws are heck of long. Any change needed in the shifting pattern with the short shift?

e36_bbs,

Using the UUC EVO3 shortshifter. Adjustable height which translates to adjustable throw. No change in shifting pattern . Love it tremendously as the shift is not only short but precise. Check it out....

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT short...

Arsony said:
e36_bbs,

Using the UUC EVO3 shortshifter. Adjustable height which translates to adjustable throw. No change in shifting pattern . Love it tremendously as the shift is not only short but precise. Check it out....

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT short...

Checked out the site, thks for the lead. US$245 not too bad. Did you buy online and got the w/s to fit it. Is there a diff betw LHD and RHD?

e36_bbs,

Got a fren to order it in for me. Fixed by a local w/s. Don't think there is any diff between LHD and RHD.

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT indifferent...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back