How to determine whether engine has oil sludge?

320i

The first time I discovered that my engine has oil sludge was when the "low oil" indicator was triggered despite sufficient oil in engine. That was about 35000km. PML said that the sludge was caused by unburnt fuel due to "slow speed" driving and the problem will come back if I continue to drive the same way.

My mileage is 72000 now and warranty expiring soon. I am worried that the sludge problem will surface after that.

How can I check whether is there oil sludge in my engine now?

Re: How to determine whether engine has oil sludge?

what is your driving styl like? how do you consider slow driving?

so how do one remove this sludge - engine flush?

btw, is engine flush recommended?

Below 100km/hr is considered slow...

thats BS man. How many of us have the oppotunity to travel above 100km/h for long distances given the speed limits here. Even if we mnage o identify roads that permit this, it would mean alot of time and effort to ochestrate such a drive.

You might want to try driving in manual mode once in a while and drive at high revs. leave it at 3rd or 4th gear.

thanks, I will do that...but is there a way to find out way whether is the oil sludge in the engine now?

i do not think it posible. the e90's do not have an oil stick. only shows that engine oil is low when the indicator flashes. your best bet is to bring it down to a mechanic to have it checked.

has PML changed engine oil and flush out the slugged oil yet? just try and drive a little more spirited going forward as a preventive measure lorrr

the last time PML replaced the oil sump and some other parts. My car was in PML for around 10days....I guess the initial oil sludge had been thoroughly removed.....just worried about the new sludge formation...

rev the car a little now and then. think thats the only practitioner cure/prevention going forward bro

6 to 7 hours drive in NSH at speed above 120kmph good to clear this 'sludge' ?
i know it sure clear the carbon in the exhaust :)
so, is it about high speed or high rev ? if high rev can do in sg road too la .. just redline the 1st and 2nd gear lor.

Slater;424152 said:
rev the car a little now and then. think thats the only practitioner cure/prevention going forward bro

There are several factors leading to engine oil sludge.
Just a link you can read more on engine sludge:

Second Opinion: Oil Sludge: an expensive but preventable disaster

Oil sludge is quite a shitty thing that can happen and also be costly and time consuming, your 10days in workshop is quite a long down time.

To prevent it, most important is to maintain your engine well with regular oil change or more regular service intervals.

Hope this helps.

Although this is not the best idea, as mentioned in the link above, its not conclusive as normal engines can have a small amount of sludge and condensation present at this 'high point' of the crankcase. But at least its something you can do yourself easily as a preliminary check on engine condition:

With the engine turned off, try to open the engine oil cap and look inside through the oil filler hole. Use a small flashlight. If it's possible to see any internal parts there, check their condition. What you are looking for is the oil sludge - this thick black buildup on internal parts you can see on the lower photo (this is how the sludged up engine looks inside, with the valve cover removed). If you see a lot of black oil sludge buildup inside the engine it means that either the engine oil hasn't been changed for a long time, or the engine has been overheated, or poor quality oil was used.

if sludge liao nothing you can do, like bro 320i said, have to replace parts liao. Not necesarrily high speeds, but high revs for long periods is good for car once in a while.

check for oil seals leaks , 320i is very prone to oil n water leaks.

oil sump gasket, oil seals and water hoses are some of the common problems.

hoist the car up and get the mechanic to shine a flash light and you will be able to check if there is a leak.

arrhh .... sad to hear that 320 are 'prone' with all these problems .... :evil:
but still like this bugger ... nice car to drive :nehnehhh:

como;424159 said:
check for oil seals leaks , 320i is very prone to oil n water leaks.

oil sump gasket, oil seals and water hoses are some of the common problems.

hoist the car up and get the mechanic to shine a flash light and you will be able to check if there is a leak.

i used to change engine oil at every 10K for my jap car.
good to change oil at every 10K ?
will the "computer" be updated for new engine oil + oil filter if not done in PML ?
ok. here is the million dollar question - will PML void the car warranty for simple oil + filter change done outside ?

SILVER;424156 said:
To prevent it, most important is to maintain your engine well with regular oil change or more regular service intervals.

wt_know;424165 said:
i used to change engine oil at every 10K for my jap car.
can we do the same for E90 ?
if change engine oil + oil filter outside PML will void warranty ?
will the 'computer' be updated that we go a new engine oil + engine filter if not done in PML ?

Change oil every 10k is good...some guys here and some of my friends I know change every 5k!
Yes of cos you can do the same for your E90. nothing wrong with it.

Nope it will not void your warranty by changing oil filter + engine oil outside PML
Yes your "computer" can be reset/updated :)

good to hear that.
my plan is to change at 5K, 10K, then every 10K using full synthetic :)

SILVER;424171 said:
Change oil every 10k is good...some guys here and some of my friends I know change every 5k!
Yes of cos you can do the same for your E90. nothing wrong with it.

Nope it will not void your warranty by changing oil filter + engine oil outside PML
Yes your "computer" can be reset/updated :)

wt_know;424183 said:
good to hear that.

Cool, let me know if you need any help. Or drop by my workshop.. I will buy you kopi, don't have to do oil change also can come one! i will still buy you kopi haha just give me a buzz :)

wt_know;424183 said:
good to hear that.
No need so many time lah!

At 1k, change d oil. After that, every 8k. 1st 8k, no need to reset OBC. Only d 2nd 1.

Why 8k & not 10k? Because full syn will start to break after 8k.

ok, will consider this oil change interval (OCI)
must change at 1st 1K ?
1K, 9K, 17K (reset OBC), 25K (reset OBC), go on .....
reset OBC is alternate or every 8K after 17K milleage
thanks !!!

davidtch;424200 said:
No need so many time lah!

At 1k, change d oil. After that, every 8k. 1st 8k, no need to reset OBC. Only d 2nd 1.

Why 8k & not 10k? Because full syn will start to break after 8k.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossfunone

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back